Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nearly half of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway portfolio is AAPL
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 08, 2020 03:17PM
[www.marketwatch.com]

Warren Buffett once said that “diversification is protection against ignorance. It makes little sense if you know what you are doing.” The take-away: Load up on what you know.

Even if it’s a tech stock, apparently.

A recent peek into Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway BRK.A, +0.04% BRK.B, +0.02% $214 billion portfolio underscores that the Oracle of Omaha is following his own advice, considering how much stock Berkshire has accumulated in Apple AAPL, +2.32%.

Buffett, thanks to Apple’s stellar run, now owns more than $91 billion’s worth of the iPhone maker, which constitutes 43% of the total Berkshire pie, according to figures cited by the Motley Fool.

As the report points out, there are 46 securities in the portfolio, and if you added them all together — not including the No. 2 holding, Bank of America BAC, +0.39% — they still don’t equal the Apple stake, which proves just how much the big tech names have paced the stock market of late.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nearly half of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway portfolio is AAPL
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 08, 2020 03:49PM
Warren doesn't interfere with his companies. My two favorites' are See's Candy and Dairy Queen,
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 08, 2020 03:59PM
vision63
Warren doesn't interfere with his companies. My two favorites' are See's Candy and Dairy Queen,
.... as long as they function well.
I recall Emerson Electric's model when I was working for them... it was basic Roman Empire.
Invade and occupy (Takeover/Acquire)
Govern from afar
If they don't pay their taxes / profit, decimate the leadership. With golden parachutes instead of a sword.
If they still don't pay their taxes/profit, divest. Which usually meant scorched earth.
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 08, 2020 03:59PM
About a third of mine is, too. Not touching it.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 08, 2020 04:02PM
cbelt3
vision63
.... as long as they function well.
I recall Emerson Electric's model when I was working for them... it was basic Roman Empire.
Invade and occupy (Takeover/Acquire)
Govern from afar
If they don't pay their taxes / profit, decimate the leadership. With golden parachutes instead of a sword.
If they still don't pay their taxes/profit, divest. Which usually meant scorched earth.

Clearly, they're not to be fooled with. They didn't buy you to lose money
Posted by: d4
Date: July 08, 2020 04:14PM
Hey, Warren Buffet and I think alike. My AAPL allocation is 45%. It wasn't on purpose. Over the years, Apple just wouldn't stop performing incredibly well. Am i supposed to sell a great performing stock just because it doesn't agree with an egghead's formula for a "balanced" portfolio?

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 08, 2020 05:39PM
d4
Hey, Warren Buffet and I think alike. My AAPL allocation is 45%. It wasn't on purpose. Over the years, Apple just wouldn't stop performing incredibly well. Am i supposed to sell a great performing stock just because it doesn't agree with an egghead's formula for a "balanced" portfolio?

It all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand.

Which was the Wolfman's way of saying it depends on how much risk you can tolerate.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 08, 2020 05:44PM
Warren and I also think alike, but I don't have his deep pockets. Case in point:

There was a company back in the nineties that was a world leader in simulators: aircraft, ships, you name it. They had the largest oil tanker training simulator in Rotterdam, a leading oil tanker port. I owned some stock in it, and followed an algorithm to buy low and sell high, but based on dividend return in conjunction with stock price. Well, I bought and held some for a few months, made 25% or so, and sold when the indicators predicted I should. Sure enough, a few months later the indicators said buy again. I put off buying for a few days, then went to look for it to purchase. No stock ticker symbol found! No longer listed on the NYSE.

Turns out Berkshire Hathaway had just bought the whole damn company.

FSI - Flight Safety International

I held AAPL from the mid-1990s (bought about $2.5k worth of shares) to 2013. Sold it all (net $128K) to buy my current business.

Every day I thank Steve Jobs for my good fortune.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 08, 2020 06:11PM
Man! Just think what kind of cash WB made since buying into AAPL. smiley-shocked003

One of many of his quotes that I like:

“Keep all your eggs in one basket, but watch that basket closely.”

— Warren Buffett

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 08, 2020 07:00PM
About a third of my equity is AAPL. My broker used to tell me to diversify, but now he just buys more AAPL for himself. He did balk recently when I suggested putting $50k into APPL only. We finally agreed to split it three ways between AAPL, TSLA, and SWBI.

I'm not complaining about any of those.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 08, 2020 07:51PM
tha sheet is going to hit the fan, and the more it goes up (same for all skyrocketing stocks at this point), the harder they fall, as Mr. Cliff said.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 08, 2020 09:07PM
Holders of AAPL:

The Vanguard Group, Inc. 7.29% 315,934,247

Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. (Investm... 5.66% 245,155,566

BlackRock Fund Advisors 4.32% 187,354,848

SSgA Funds Management, Inc. 4.17% 180,558,954

Speedy 0.0000000552% 239

Bloomberg) -- Warren Buffett’s $2.9 billion gift this week means he has now given away Berkshire Hathaway Inc. shares valued at more than $37 billion since 2006.

His philanthropy -- along with Berkshire’s underwhelming stock performance recently -- is finally starting to weigh on his net worth after years where his fortune defied his annual giveaways to rise ever higher. Buffett’s $68.6 billion is enough for eighth-place on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, his lowest position since the index started in 2012. He ranked in the top 5 as recently as June.

But in recent weeks the 89-year-old has been leapfrogged first by Steve Ballmer, the former Microsoft Corp. chief executive officer, and this week by Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin. The changes underline the extent to which technology fortunes now dominate the upper echelons of the world’s richest people.

Six of the seven richest people on the planet owe their wealth to the sector, including No. 1 Jeff Bezos, who has added $68 billion to his net worth this year, and Ballmer, who’s gained $18 billion. Tech fortunes are the best performing on the index, up 25% in 2020.

Ballmer’s fortune has soared thanks to the 4% stake he’s estimated to have retained since leaving Microsoft’s board in 2014. The software company’s shares have risen almost fivefold since then, boosting his fortune to $76.5 billion. Ballmer declined to comment on his Microsoft stake. Berkshire didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Buffett may welcome signs his gifts are shrinking his fortune. His pledge to give away his fortune only got harder as his fortune continued to rise. In his latest letter to shareholders he said he expects it will now take 12 to 15 years for his estate to dispose of all the shares he holds at the time of his death.

>>

Note: Bezo’s fortune increased as much this year an amount equal to Buffett’s total worth.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2020 09:11PM by Speedy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 170
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020