advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best solution for sharing an iTunes library between users on a machine?
Posted by: Bixby
Date: February 17, 2007 12:58PM
The one gotchya in using iTunes' built-in sharing is you can't copy from another library to an iPod. So what's the best way to share a library among different users? It seems like the couple of solutions I've found all involve some sort of hack... Thanks for your help-
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best solution for sharing an iTunes library between users on a machine?
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 17, 2007 01:04PM
Not sure if this is what you were trying to do but Senuti will copy any or all the music from any iPod connected to any folder you choose. Having got it on your computer you can then import them into your own iTunes library.

Sorry if I didn't understand exactly what you were trying to do.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 17, 2007 01:16PM
share library via aliases? Havend tried it yet. Just an Idea.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 17, 2007 03:24PM
im assuming this is another different mac, right?

as stated, senuti is a good app at copying from ipod to itunes

you might do a quick search on macworld or apple, i recently saw this come up as a story or a "hot tip" in one of them

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: edgarbc1
Date: February 17, 2007 04:46PM
if on the same machine.. put your music folder in the SHARED folder.
Redirect the itunes app to read the library in that folder.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 17, 2007 06:56PM
^^^ that will only allow each user to use a common Library location but not benefit from the additions or deletions to the Library from each user.

The only way to completely share an iTunes Library on the same Mac with multiple users is to:

1) Yes, start with a common location and have each user's iTunes Music folder point to it as an alias.

2) Enable ACLs and edit the relevant permissions on the shared location via Terminal --- this allows a user to see the changes another user made to iTunes when it's their turn to log in. If you skip this step, each user's iTunes Library will only be current at the moment it was initially updated, but soon essentially revert back to a personal collection, albeit one in the same folder as everyone else, and with error messages saying "where is this song ... you wanna find it ...?" << a mess.

Take a look at my last post here: [forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Bixby
Date: February 17, 2007 08:39PM
Thanks deckeda... trying it now...

I wish it didn't take this kind of hacking, though...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 18, 2007 03:22AM
Don't think of it as hacking --- after all, you aren't touching iTunes or the song files in any way. You also aren't munging up OS X in any weird way.

Whenever you change a preference in the Finder or an app, there's a pretty GUI interface for that usually. I don't know if there's such a thing for ACLs, but ACLs since Tiger are an officially sanctioned thing by Apple still, so have at it and rest easy!
Posted by: spacescape
Date: February 21, 2007 07:49AM
deckeda
^^^ that will only allow each user to use a common Library location but not benefit from the additions or deletions to the Library from each user.

The only way to completely share an iTunes Library on the same Mac with multiple users is to:

1) Yes, start with a common location and have each user's iTunes Music folder point to it as an alias.

2) Enable ACLs and edit the relevant permissions on the shared location via Terminal --- this allows a user to see the changes another user made to iTunes when it's their turn to log in. If you skip this step, each user's iTunes Library will only be current at the moment it was initially updated, but soon essentially revert back to a personal collection, albeit one in the same folder as everyone else, and with error messages saying "where is this song ... you wanna find it ...?" << a mess.

Take a look at my last post here: [forums.macresource.com]

This seems like a great solution however I am still on 10.3.9 and am planning on upgrading when 10.5 is released.

Thanks anyhow.

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020