advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do I have the flu?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: February 18, 2007 08:24AM
I haven't had it since 1997, so I'm not too experienced. I have a cough that's mostly dry and a low fever. My nose has been dripping a little, but my nose does that pretty regularly anyway, so I don't know if it's related to the other two symptoms or not.

Tylenol? Plenty of fluids? Rest? Anything else?

Dang. I don't like being sick.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do I have the flu?
Posted by: spearmint
Date: February 18, 2007 08:27AM
Lotsa fluids. Tylenol or Aspirin will make you feel better.
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 18, 2007 08:36AM
You don't.

Flu knocks you out in about 24 hours. You can't even think about dragging yourself out of bed.

You probably have a virus (cold). Treat symptoms and let it go away.
Posted by: kap
Date: February 18, 2007 08:42AM
I cannot bear being sick either.
Since the beginning of the year, I have been having the same symptoms, i.e. sinus headaches, a runny nose and a persistent dry cough esp. at night. I know it's not the flu because I don't have any temperature nor muscle ache nor pain. I have taken TheraFlu Cold and Cough for night time; DelSym during the day. Drink water and tea like there is no tomorrow. It comes and goes and now I am cursed with a stuffy nose ... again angry smiley

My family, friends and acquaintances are affected by the drastic changes in the weather as well.

Kap

SoCal for now.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2007 08:55AM by kap.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: February 18, 2007 08:42AM
Tea and soup is what you need. And some movies, and a nice fleecy blanket on the couch. Tell Louie to earn his rent and come warm you up.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 18, 2007 08:52AM
mspace
You don't.

Flu knocks you out in about 24 hours. You can't even think about dragging yourself out of bed.

You probably have a virus (cold). Treat symptoms and let it go away.

I agree. Since getting real flu a few years ago I have become very intolerable of people who say that they have flu when in fact it's a cold or a simple virus. I know that there are various flus with different intensities but when you have had the flu like I had with temperatures so high I was hallucinating for several days you tend not to have so much sympathy for people who can still sit at a computer keyboard.
Posted by: elmo3
Date: February 18, 2007 08:53AM
Very few people get the flu, yet everyone wants to make everything seem worse than it is, so they scream "FLU!"

And then they go to the doctor and demand antibiotics. I mean, really. "Yeah, I have a cough--I need antibiotics." Doctors who don't dismiss this kind of crap should have their licenses taken away.

We overmedicate like crazy in this country. Everything is horrible, I have a right to feel better NOW, and by definition everything can be fixed with a pill.

Well, relax. Take it easy. Don't go to work sick; you'll only prolong the illness and make others ill as well. Your job won't end, the world won't end. Give your body rest and give it the ability to recover. It will.

You don't have to prove to the world that "nothing keeps me down".

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 18, 2007 08:53AM
I prefer BOILED RED WINE with Bay leaves and some sugar, but that is probably a NO NO here in USA. This was the cold treatment in my home country, not for flu though. Of ocurse, you boil the wine just a minute or so to get aroma from Bay leaves, and then let it cool down to a comfortable temperature. if you boil it too long there is no alcohol left, so what's the point?

I know that Russians have a similar method, except they use Boiled Vodka, but I am not Russian smiling smiley

And then some tea, fluids, and of course, rest.

BTW: please post on a semi-regular basis to make sure you're OK, if not where should we send the paramedics???
Date: February 18, 2007 08:57AM
Gutenberg
Tea and soup is what you need. And some movies, and a nice fleecy blanket on the couch. Tell Louie to earn his rent and come warm you up.

Tea? I don't like tea much, but I'll rummage through the cupboard and see what I can find. Any particular kind?

If I don't have the flu, what is it? It's not a cold; I get one of those every year or two, and this isn't it. Although I am overdue.

I'm not sure Louie will give up the couch, but I have a nice cozy chair that I spent most of yesterday in.

I want to whine. sad smiley
Posted by: BLeonard
Date: February 18, 2007 09:01AM
I'm sick too. Went to the Doctor on Wednesday with a fever of 102 and they insisted on giving me antibiotics (CIPRO). I'm still sick today so the antibiotics don't seem to be doing any good so I'm guessing it's a virus. I really didn't want to take antibiotics unless they were absolutely necessary.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 18, 2007 09:06AM
AlphaDog
If I don't have the flu, what is it? It's not a cold; I get one of those every year or two, and this isn't it. Although I am overdue.

I had two of those past year, one in July and one in December, I was definitely not flue, I guess another form of cold that I haven't had before. one was gone in 12 hours, the other last 3-4 days.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 18, 2007 09:06AM
AlphaDog

Of course you do and we should be sympathetic. You feel bad, you tell people about it and they (well I did) come back that you really aren't that bad and others have had it far worse. You really didn't want to know that did you? In the circumstances I wouldn't so I apologise for my first unsympathetic response and wish you well soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2007 09:06AM by voodoopenguin.
Date: February 18, 2007 09:33AM
voodoopenguin
AlphaDog

Of course you do and we should be sympathetic. You feel bad, you tell people about it and they (well I did) come back that you really aren't that bad and others have had it far worse. You really didn't want to know that did you? In the circumstances I wouldn't so I apologise for my first unsympathetic response and wish you well soon.

Ah, don't worry about it, vood. Back in 1997, there was absolutely no question about what I had. Both my husband and I were the crawling dead for days, and I don't think I've ever been so sick in my life. This isn't anything like that, and that's why I was asking what I might have. It doesn't seem to be a cold, which is what I thought at first. Whoever said it's just some unnamed virus is probably right.

But I'm not used to being sick, so I still want to whine just a little bit. smiling smiley
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 18, 2007 09:38AM
The flu is a lot more dangerous than many people think. 2 children and an adult have died of the flu this winter in Minnesota. All were healthy before they got sick - in fact, the adult was a fire-fighter, who I assume was in better shape than most of us.

Get you flu shot every fall!
Posted by: elmo3
Date: February 18, 2007 09:50AM

It doesn't seem to be a cold, which is what I thought at first. Whoever said it's just some unnamed virus is probably right.

Sure it's a cold virus, part of the rhinovirus family.

A "cold" can take on many symptoms.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 18, 2007 10:15AM
bfd's cold hit fast on Friday afternoon, by Friday night, head stuffed up, temp of about 102º. Yesterday watery eyes, sneezes and a building pressure in the head. Last night, hardly any sleep … up every hour to try and clear a breathing passage. Not bedridden or anything yesterday and so far this morning, just feeling lousy. Every swallow feels like sandpaper over an open wound, but that's gotten a little better over the past half-hour.

Maybe you have some kind of allergy going. That might explain the low grade fever and drippy nose, given you haven't noted other typical cold symptoms. Lots of early spring pollen in the air right now because of the mild winter in many places (obviously, if you live in upstate N.Y., that's probably not the case). However, it could easily be a mild cold (since there is variability among the hundreds of different rhinovirus out there), just as bfd seems to have caught himself a more robust bug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2007 10:16AM by bfd.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 18, 2007 10:24AM
have had bad sinus pressure here for more than a month now. really bugs me at times, feels like i'm going to hit the deck from the pain/pressure. i am guessing but i'm sure it had something to do with the barometer as of late. and a virus.
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 18, 2007 11:13AM
I started out with a dry cough and general feeling of unwell over a week ago. Then last Sun evening I felt better and thought I'd dodged a bullet. Nah. Woke up Monday with horrible congestion that went to bronchitis which went to pneuomnia. Got some kick butt antibiotics Wed but not before cracking a rib coughing. I still have the congestion and lack of energy. And of course the cracked rib.

Just use this as an excuse to goof off and get some good rest. Keep a keen eye on any new symptoms and go see a doc sooner than later.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: February 18, 2007 01:12PM
Plain old Lipton tea, or supermarket brand, then a spoonful of honey and a bit of lemon. It always makes me feel like when I was a kid and Mommy took care of me. Then wrap yourself up in a nice blanket, head for your chair and watch a Katharine Hepburn comedy. "Bringing Up Baby" would be good. I bet that would cure you. If you can't stand tea, then alphabet soup usually does the trick, but with alphabet soup I think you want Carole Lombard or one of the "Thin Man" movies.
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 19, 2007 08:52AM
For those that are in cold climates, as I am, use a humidifier.

When the body dries out, more mucus is produced. Not less. It gives the impression that you have too much fluids. For me, I get severe headaches, lots of drip, sore throat, etc. I used to think I was sick all the time.

As long as that humidifier is running at night, we're happy. Come spring, it will be put away and the windows will open . . .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020