advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not content to just revive the Smurf…
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 18, 2007 10:52PM
I decided to try a bit of mild processor tweaking. I changed the settings from 450MHz to 500MHz. This was pretty simple, because it's a Daystar XLR8 ZIF, which has jumpers on the processor for the bus multiplier settings. I just had to move one jumper one position over.

So far, it seems stable.I've been running Rember for a couple of hours, no errors. I swapped in a slightly better graphics card yesterday when I was ttinkering with it, and between that and the little processor boost, it's running pretty nicely.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not content to just revive the Smurf…
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 18, 2007 10:54PM
Congrats,

How did you revive it?

Carm
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 18, 2007 11:00PM
A small 40x40 mm fan mounted to the heat sink with a few sheet metal screws helps a lot with cooling an OC's ZIF.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 18, 2007 11:01PM
oooph, back in the day i messed around with OCing but when it comes down to it, a small speed increase isn't worth risking stability.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 18, 2007 11:32PM
most ZIFs can go 50 over though, with little or no risk. Going 100 over is when you typically have issues.

My 400 does 450 just fine, and my 450 is at 500. And my G4/500 ZIF does 550 with a 40mm fan and runs at ambient temp too.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 18, 2007 11:54PM
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 19, 2007 12:45AM
after reading Mike's review at xlr8yourmac.com on this then wicked fast processor upgrade

[www.xlr8yourmac.com]

lil bro and I ordered up a couple of the PL ZIF cards for our beige G3's... mine has been running at 535MHz (like Mike's did) ever since w/o a hiccup, and my bro's, which was passed down to me for a client a while back would only hummm stablely at 502MHz. as the regulars note, a touch of cooling when OC'ing helps. my record is a 366MHz rated ZIF on a carrier card in a clone that ran for years in the 480's w/ some semi-serious fan and duct mods, and then after the clone blew out some other parts, the ZIF was moved to an original beige G3 266MHz desktop (with non-working PCI slots) and rejumpered to its rated 366MHz; as it wouldn't play nice being OC'ed in that box. shortly after that, it was donated. tweaking is fun, and more so when it is successful. congrats on the smurf, and what constitutes a "slightly better graphics card"? IIRC, smurf's had PCI graphics, did you go retail or OEM? smurfs were pretty close to the end of the PCI graphics food chain, and don't recall what the options would be.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: February 19, 2007 10:04AM
Some of the early Powerlogix models were pretty impressive. I still have th famous G3/220 "Little Screamer" in my old 7600. It ran for years at 308; presumably it still does.

I don't think I'm taking much of a risk jumping from 450 to 500. It's not like the machine is on for extended periods of time. I may swap in a processor that I currently have in another machine. It's an OWC Mercury that runs very nicely at 600 MHz. That other machine is getting so little use that leaving the better processor in it makes little sense.

what constitutes a "slightly better graphics card"? IIRC, smurf's had PCI graphics, did you go retail or OEM? smurfs were pretty close to the end of the PCI graphics food chain, and don't recall what the options would be.

The orginal Radeon Mac Edition, a 32MB PCI card. I pulled it from the under-utilized Smurf. It does seem better than the stock 16MB card.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 10:06AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 19, 2007 12:11PM
ka jowct
what constitutes a "slightly better graphics card"? IIRC, smurf's had PCI graphics, did you go retail or OEM? smurfs were pretty close to the end of the PCI graphics food chain, and don't recall what the options would be.

The orginal Radeon Mac Edition, a 32MB PCI card. I pulled it from the under-utilized Smurf. It does seem better than the stock 16MB card.

that's what I expected if it was retail, it was a great card in its day-- pre-ordered one at MWSF when it was intro'ed, and it worked great until the fan got TOO noisy and has been sitting in a drawer awaiting a new fan for a while now... don't recall any other retail or OEM cards that were "better" back then w/ AGP emerging on the horizon. enjoy your added productivity.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: February 19, 2007 12:16PM
Thank you so much for assuming that I am productive. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 12:16PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 19, 2007 08:18PM
So, kajot, the question remains... how did you revive the Smurf?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: February 19, 2007 08:32PM
Some of it was my fault. I had pulled the jumper block, and one of the teensy metal bits didn't travel with the block but was left behind on the pins. I thought I got it back in the correct location on the block, but it seems I was wrong. I sorted that out finally with the help of OWC's helpful jumper settings guide. (I was thinking of using the block on a different machine that I planned to downgrade, along with the original G3/400 ZIF that went with the jumper block, and I was going to do the settings on this one with actual jumpers or with a block from a different Smurf.)

I also reseated the RAM, as suggested in the B&W technical manual, and tried starting up with some sticks removed, etc.

However, I still wasn't getting video, even after I got my startup chime back. I swapped in a different video card, still no luck. So I swapped VGA cables with another machine, and attached the "new" cable to a different connector on my KVM switch. The Smurf booted up AND had video. However, neither the cable nor the KVM connector seems to have been at fault, because they work with the other machine just fine. Basic VGA cable voodoo, perhaps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020