advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Does blocking a call from a spoofed number work?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 10, 2020 07:08PM
My PANASONIC phone only blocks 30 numbers, so I don't want to waste any if it's not going to block the call.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does blocking a call from a spoofed number work?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 10, 2020 07:14PM
not really. they just jump around on the spoofed number.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 10, 2020 07:16PM
No. They seldom fake the same number twice,

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 10, 2020 07:58PM
sounds like you're on a landline? I strongly recommend nomorobo.com, assuming your carrier is supported.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 10, 2020 08:18PM
....the number changes the way a gig*lo....changes underwear.....won't work.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 10, 2020 08:22PM
SDGuy
sounds like you're on a landline? I strongly recommend nomorobo.com, assuming your carrier is supported.

This.

I only wish nomorobo worked as well on a cell, as it does on a landline (and were free, as it is for a landline).

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Wags
Date: August 10, 2020 08:32PM
Won't help you, but T-Mobile is touting a new spam call blocker.

[apps.apple.com]

Anyone tried it yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 08:33PM by Wags.
Date: August 10, 2020 08:34PM
Wags
Won't help you, but T-Mobile is toting a new spam call blocker.

[apps.apple.com]

Anyone tried it yet?

Why does there need to be an app? Why not kill it all in their servers and be done with it.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 10, 2020 09:20PM
Both Verizon & T-Mobile show "Scam Call" or "Suspected Scam" on my screens. On my iPhone, I DO block ANY number I feel is NOT a legitimate call (ie: does NOT leave a message). On my Samsung phone, I use the App "Should I answer". Said App is FREE on Android; on iOS users have to pay for it. confused smiley
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 10, 2020 09:42PM
I have the T-Mobile spam blocker on and I still got an extended warranty on my car call today.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: August 10, 2020 10:24PM
Wags
Won't help you, but T-Mobile is touting a new spam call blocker.

[apps.apple.com]

Anyone tried it yet?

I don’t know why they are touting it as new, I activated it when I set up a T-Mobile account about a year and half ago. It’s been pretty good, very few calls since I activated it. Lately, since they started the advertising blitz, I’ve gotten more calls than before (two calls in the last few weeks).

Racer X
Why does there need to be an app? Why not kill it all in their servers and be done with it.

You don’t need the app to activate it, just dial #662#. I have yet to install the app.

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]

Date: August 11, 2020 12:02AM
why does it even need to be activated? just do it.

Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: August 11, 2020 06:47AM
Racer X
Wags
Won't help you, but T-Mobile is toting a new spam call blocker.

[apps.apple.com]

Anyone tried it yet?

Amen to that! On my Android I could block the call but not text messages or the ability of the caller to leave a voice mail. That would cost me minutes on my phone plan. On my new iPhone blocking the call seems to also block their ability to leave a voice mail or send an SMS, so it's an improvment. But I'd still like to see them blocked at the server.

One big problem is the way the politicians crafted the legislation on SPAM call blocking. They left so many holes in the Bill that it looks like Swiss cheese and is almost totally unenforceable. Two that irate the crap out of me are the carve outs for "political messages" and "charities". There are robo-call companies that get a contract to run a campaign to collect for firefighters or police. They legally contact you and then turn the call into something else. And since they've now got a record of "doing business with you in the past" they can continue to harass you for any other thing they want to in the future legally.

And yeah, there are provisions for making these calls to cell phone numbers. But many people, myself included, have transferred an old land line number to a cell phone. Since it shows up in the telco databases as a "land line" they can legally call it even though it now goes to a cell phone. I'm half tempted to collect some old tomato cans and start running string to those people I want to talk with, just like when we we kids.
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: August 11, 2020 09:38AM
Racer X
why does it even need to be activated? just do it.

Well, if they didn’t offer a choice, I’m sure some people would complain.

Actually, T-Mobile has two services. Spam Block blocks the calls on their end and the other service lets the calls through, but tags them as spam. I guess the second service is for people that don’t trust T-Mobile’s blocking algorithms.

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]

Date: August 11, 2020 10:48AM
I have come to believe that when Legislation is written, it is almost always by people ignorant of the issue, and they get only a cursory briefing by someone who may or may not understand some of it.

This is why so many gun control initiatives, and legislation are all but FUNCTIONALLY useless because they don't understand any of it. And frankly, don't care to.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 11, 2020 01:29PM
Racer X
[W]hen Legislation is written voted on, it is almost always by people ignorant of the issue, and they get only a cursory briefing by someone who may or may not understand some of it.

FTFY.

The ones who write most state and federal legislation are lobbyists and they know darned well what they're doing.

Posted by: rz
Date: August 12, 2020 09:00AM
I just don't answer them unless I either know the person calling, or I'm expecting a call from someone not in my contacts. 90%+ of the time, if they're spam, they won't leave a message. Or will leave a message that consists of 5 seconds of silence, followed by a hangup.

I almost never get spam calls on my cell. Why? Because I don't give it out to anyone and everyone. Unless it's something like an emergency contact for my kid's school or something like that, I will NOT give out my cell number. We have a VOIP (Ooma) at home so I give them that number. And again, if I don't know the number of the caller, I don't answer it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020