AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
wow
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 12, 2020 10:24AM
reminds me of the duckNcover days...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: wow
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 12, 2020 10:55AM
The cone that comes down seems unusual to me, as a casual mushroom cloud enthusiast.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 12, 2020 10:55AM
We had an air raid siren on top of the water tower across the street from my elementary school. Every Wednesday at noon, they set off the whole network throughout Seattle as a system test. Firedome Hemi engines powered the massive sirens.

So when today's youths complain about stress and worry from N Korea and a possible launch, I just have to chuckle, in sadness, because it is nothing new. We just sucked it up. [www.seattlepi.com]

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 12, 2020 11:24AM
Where/when was that?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 12, 2020 11:57AM
Soviet H-bomb Test in 1953, 400Kt.
[en.wikipedia.org]

[physics.stackexchange.com]
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 12, 2020 12:04PM
Racer X
We had an air raid siren on top of the water tower across the street from my elementary school. Every Wednesday at noon, they set off the whole network throughout Seattle as a system test. Firedome Hemi engines powered the massive sirens.

Back in the early 1960s, my town's weekly tests emanated from the fire station's sirens at noon on Saturdays, thus also signaling closing time for Saturday businesses.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 12, 2020 12:41PM
The sirens sounded at noon every friday where I live until 2010. There was a nuclear plant there and the sirens were tested weekly. Then Duke Energy broke the plant (literally, they broke the exterior of the containment building) and the sirns went silent.

We used them to set our clocks.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 12, 2020 01:08PM
[m.youtube.com]
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 12, 2020 01:09PM
I think it was once a month at 10 am on Friday mornings. The issue wasn't the danger of a solitary N. Korean missile finding a random target, but a full-on attack of hundreds of Soviet hydrogen warhead missiles. Being young and naive, we more or less assumed that we would all be vaporized. When the newspapers would run maps showing the blast zone for any one warhead, it looked like a substantial part of the city would be gone in the first second, and every additional warhead would work at getting the rest of us.

So yes, lots of stress. Hard to sleep at night when we heard airplanes coming over.

The Emergency Operations Center for the city of L.A. has one of the old sirens on display in the lobby. It must be five or six feet wide and high.
Date: August 12, 2020 01:33PM
That is why they had Firedome Hemi industrial motors to run the sirens. BIG!!!!!

Knowing what was/is around Seattle in the '60s and '70s, I knew central Puget Sound would be one big steamy pit.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 12, 2020 01:59PM
We were told that the Rock Island Arsenal could be a target, but I figured we would have to be way down the target list. We did have the weekly sirens, of course, and my brother took his turn watching for enemy aircraft from the top of the LeClair Hotel.

I was never was convinced that Russian bombers would make it to Illinois.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 12, 2020 03:08PM
When I first moved to the SF Bay area folklore was that the USAF Satellite Control Facility located on the edge of Moffett Field in Sunnyvale, known as the "Blue Cube", was the #1 target. Seems like at the start of any attack, first priority is to knock out communications, and the ability to respond. In this case knock out the spy satellites.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 12, 2020 03:08PM
Ombligo
The sirens sounded at noon every friday where I live until 2010. There was a nuclear plant there and the sirens were tested weekly. Then Duke Energy broke the plant (literally, they broke the exterior of the containment building) and the sirns went silent.

Crystal River!

One of our former customers in an ever-shrinking market.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 12, 2020 03:45PM
btfc
[m.youtube.com]

Not to necessarily turn this political, but this Civil Defense TV ad shows the U.S. government responding with a uniform, nationwide program of advisory information to a national threat*.

Ah, those were the days. old fogey smiley

*Even a potential threat.
Date: August 12, 2020 07:37PM
Seattle, literally across the street from my house, was the nexus of the back-up Early Warning and tracking system for inbounds. Boeing, and just across Puget Sound is the Bremerton Navy Shipyard. Around the corner from them is Keyport Naval Undersea Warfare Station where torpedos are designed and built. Across the road from them is the Bangor ballistic missle sub base, home to 1/3rd of the US nuclear capability. I can keep going. This was/is all in about a 15 mile radius from Seattle. We would have gotten our very own missle and its full payload of MERVs. Can't leave out the arsenal island all the nuclear warheads are stored at when a sub or ship came into Puget Sound. That would be gone completely. It's marked on the charts, but they don't tell you WHY you can't even go near it.

I am in no way trying to one-up anyone. This is just to point out how much stuff around us would be a target. And still could be for a terrorist or nutty short fat guy attack. Now, the South Lake Union area would get one. Facebook, Google, Adobe and of course worldwide HQ for Amazon. Because it is in a bowl, it would be UGLY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2020 07:43PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 12, 2020 08:26PM
We still have sirens go off at 1PM on the first Wednesday of the month for testing. They are for tornado warnings.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020