advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
there is a big but(t)?!.....reminder that toilet bleach tablets are not good.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 14, 2020 10:02AM
.....the ones that one drop in toilets to keep clean and dissolve over time......they can do damage to your toilet.....the rubber parts......

....many are not aware of this......better to use white vinegar.....

.....you could be doing a lot of damage to your toilet just by dropping that tablet in the water tank. Bleach tablets can slowly cause damage to the rubber seals inside your toilet, causing unexpected water leaks and completely avoidable repair bills.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2020 10:15AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: there is a but(t)?!.....reminder that toilet bleach tablets are not good.....
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 14, 2020 10:09AM
Doesn't someone make an elongated tablet that suspends inside the overfill tube? That way water flowing into the bowl will get treated each time the bowl fills, without the rubber seals in the tank being constantly exposed to bleach.
Re: there is a big but(t)?!.....reminder that toilet bleach tablets are not good.....
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 14, 2020 10:10AM
We have Clorox Toilet Tank tablets on today’s shopping list. They seem to be getting more difficult to find because we’ve had them on our list for weeks.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: there is a big but(t)?!.....reminder that toilet bleach tablets are not good.....
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 14, 2020 10:16AM
I’ve experienced this first hand and had to fully rebuild one of ours after a year of tank tablets. It just eats the seals, they become brittle and then fail. And when the tank seals fail, you’ve got slow leaks on the floor that can cause long term damage.

Just scrub it every week.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 14, 2020 10:51AM
N-OS X-tasy! linked this in the MR Forum Confessions thread about 15 down: [www.fluidmaster.com]

Please note that they say to use the 8100 or 8200 series if you have a septic tank. The 8200 series has cultures to help maintain a septic system. Our plumber told us that just pooping will provide everything needed to maintain a septic system, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to add more stuff to the stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2020 10:51AM by Michael.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 14, 2020 12:16PM
Michael
N-OS X-tasy! linked this in the MR Forum Confessions thread about 15 down: [www.fluidmaster.com]

Please note that they say to use the 8100 or 8200 series if you have a septic tank. The 8200 series has cultures to help maintain a septic system. Our plumber told us that just pooping will provide everything needed to maintain a septic system, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to add more stuff to the stuff.

That's the type of treatment I was asking about above. It bypasses the tank, goes right into the overfill tube.

Thank you.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 14, 2020 12:42PM
Kaboom makes a similar system to Fluidmaster for less money. You can buy the refills or just get small bromine or chlorine tablets at a pool store. They fit fine and work the same in the holder.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 14, 2020 01:37PM
There was a class action lawsuit against Clorox about those tablets maybe a decade or so ago. I remember getting a check too.

Nothing new that these can and do cause damage.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 14, 2020 01:58PM
That Fluidmaster has had a lot of complaints about leaking.

The bottom horizontal line beneath the arrow is a seam between the bottom and the main body.

Maximum water pressure from the wall valve can break the seam and the device leaks into the toilet tank.

I know this for a fact.

I also have a stock pile of Clorox tablets, a Costco staple.

They get sawed up and put in the little holder.

When they're gone, it will be the pool tablets.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 14, 2020 02:24PM
well this explains a lot.

for the last two years i have been caretaking my late brother's house. finally sold it this past june but one of the issues bugging me was why his water bill was so damn high. he died two years ago this month yet the water bill for the empty house showed a usage of over 7,000 gallons a month. (no, that's not a typo.)

looking back on past billing it seemed normal for that house so i let it go for a very long time but felt i had to do what i could to figure it out before putting the house on the market. got estimates from two plumbers. first one wanted to dig up the front yard. second one said two of four toilets and a pressure regulator under the house were leaking. i had plumber 2 take the shot. he fixed the pressure regulator, rebuilt the leaking toilets and for good measure he also rebuilt the other two toilets. the water usage for this unoccupied home dropped to 0. Bill went from about $95 a month to $12.

My brother's ex girlfriend said he swore by those toilet tablets. If she was going to BJ's he often asked her to pick up another stash for him.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2020 02:28PM by graylocks.
Date: August 14, 2020 03:01PM
150 gallons a day is what my family consumes. So 4,500 a month. 7,000 and its empty? That's NUTS!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 14, 2020 03:10PM
Racer X
150 gallons a day is what my family consumes. So 4,500 a month. 7,000 and its empty? That's NUTS!

yes it is. when the plumber gave me his assessment i googled leaky toilets and learned they really can leak that much or more.

i just texted the ex girlfriend in case she was using the tablets. turns out she had told him they were destructive. my brother said he didn't care. he liked how they kept his toilets clean and would change the inner parts when necessary. that latter part he never got around to. i figure that convenience was costing him at least $60 a month.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: August 14, 2020 07:18PM
facepalm

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 14, 2020 10:32PM
RAMd®d
I also have a stock pile of Clorox tablets, a Costco staple.

Not at our Costco. I was just there today hoping to buy some.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 15, 2020 03:45AM
Not at our Costco. I was just there today hoping to buy some.

Yes, I imagine the whole pandemic thing has put the kibosh on Clorox products.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 15, 2020 09:42AM
.....son of a....bleach........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020