advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
IRS wants to be paid TWICE?!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 14, 2020 03:15PM
Has anyone else had this problem? I paid my taxes in April, but now they want me to py them again along with interest and penalties for non-payment.

I had a large tax bill (over $4000). I filed in March, and the funds were withdrawn by EFT on April 1. Today, I received a CP14 notice that I have not paid, and I have interest and penalties due, and must pay the total amount by Sept 1.

I tried to get through to a human being by telephone, and after 20 minutes of trying different numbers listed, got the message that said essentially "We are too busy to help you. Try again another day."

So, in an effort to see what is happening, I set up an IRS account online. For 2019 account balance, it claims "Your information is not available at this time."

What a @#$%&.
Anyone else with this problem, or is it just me?

Edit: I keep forgetting that the word that sounds like foo bar is a forbidden word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2020 03:16PM by S. Pupp.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: IRS wants to be paid TWICE?!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 14, 2020 03:22PM
Fubar is allowed if you know the trick to using colorful language on the forum.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 14, 2020 03:23PM
I know its worrysome but just send them proof of payment.

NYS once told me that I paid half of what was due but they quickly dropped it when I provided proof of payment.

Just send the required info. I'm not sure talking to someone will help...not sure what you're hoping for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2020 03:23PM by mattkime.
Posted by: Wags
Date: August 14, 2020 03:39PM
I had a similar problem with them a couple years ago when they cashed a check written for several thousand but only credited me with a few hundred - missed a zero. I went round and round for weeks but eventually got it resolved. I live in a big city where there is a Federal Bldg with an IRS office. It took three trips down there with letters from my bank. Probably worse now due to underfunding.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 14, 2020 03:48PM
I had a similar problem but with a mailed payment, mailed a check on July 9th, they haven't cashed it, but earlier this week they did send a past due and penalty notice.

I was able to call and speak with a human, they told me that they have a huge backlog of mail to be processed, they were shut down and no incoming mail was processed until about 3 weeks ago when they re-opened. She told me to wait about 60 days and they might get through their backlog by then and their systems should figure things out when they process the payment.

Were any parts of your taxes / payments done by mail? I would think the electronic stuff would have been processed normally since the computer were still working during the shutdown, but I could see cause for confusion on their part if any link in the chain was processed by mail.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 14, 2020 04:00PM
Call your Senator(s.)
Posted by: STL
Date: August 14, 2020 04:04PM
Sent in State and Federal by mail the first time in late March. Small refund due. State came back in a month Aok. Heard nothing from the feds, including zip at irs.gov where one can supposedly get a status of ones tax return.

Nearing 15 July sent in the federal return again this time by certified mail. I included a letter of explanation for a possible 2nd return for Tax Year 2019. Do have a USPS email receipt that my package was successfully delivered and signed for by the feds. Status at irs.gov still is zip.

Very frustrating despite how long they were shutdown as my first submittal was made over 4 /12 months ago.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 14, 2020 04:34PM
The California tax board sent me a bill for my car registration. I sent them my new drivers license, car registration, and proof of insurance for the years they were trying to bill me for. I had to call them twice before they would verify they were going to drop it. I guess the issue was the title was still registered to the dealer in California until I paid it off.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Don't count on having a mail box to drop your payment into.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 14, 2020 04:58PM
It's good that you used an EFT, as you have a dated paper trail.

got the message that said essentially "We are too busy to help you. Try again another day."

I got the essentially the same message, and literally the bold part when trying to contact CA DMV yesterday..

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Don't count on having a mail box to drop your payment into.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 14, 2020 05:11PM
.....if you are married......you always pay the price..........twice......!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ishanbh
Date: August 14, 2020 05:22PM
I had the exact same problem. Opened an IRS account, and my return and payment was there. I was able to reach somebody at the IRS (I had paid the second bill) and they said I had $18K credit!. So I asked for it back as a check and they sent it in two weeks. They are way, way behind…
Date: August 14, 2020 05:34PM
GGD
Were any parts of your taxes / payments done by mail? I would think the electronic stuff would have been processed normally since the computer were still working during the shutdown, but I could see cause for confusion on their part if any link in the chain was processed by mail.

No - it was all electronically through my accountant.

Thanks all.
I'll mail the documentation to them, then try to follow up by phone.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 14, 2020 06:49PM
ishanbh
I had the exact same problem. Opened an IRS account, and my return and payment was there. I was able to reach somebody at the IRS (I had paid the second bill) and they said I had $18K credit!. So I asked for it back as a check and they sent it in two weeks. They are way, way behind…

I never saw your name before, only 3 posts in 10 years? welcome to the forum!
Yes I know you restored 10 years ago, but still, welcome.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 14, 2020 07:09PM
.....you only live twice.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Wags
Date: August 14, 2020 07:19PM
Dennis S
Call your Senator(s.)

This is an excellent suggestion, depending on who your senator is. Here in Oregon senator Merkley's office has been invaluable in helping me get through the disastrous pandemic unemployment process.
Date: August 14, 2020 09:45PM
Wags
Dennis S
Call your Senator(s.)

This is an excellent suggestion, depending on who your senator is. Here in Oregon senator Merkley's office has been invaluable in helping me get through the disastrous pandemic unemployment process.

I agree that the suggestion is good, but I’d rather hold off calling Lindsay Graham until I’ve tried other methods first.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 14, 2020 10:24PM
I don't know the form number but when I've had mail audits there was a section that allowed me to dispute/explain by mail. I did that and eventually got something back that said I was ok. I never talked to anybody.

I've started using credit card payments for our taxes so I can monitor it with my IRS account. I also get points that makes it from slightly to moderately profitable to pay with credit cards. We're retired and don't have any withholding on our SS nor pensions.
They want you to pay ONCE...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 15, 2020 03:35AM
...and don't think you have.

You jump through a hoop or two, and your fine.

It's not like they've put a lien on your house and frozen all your assets.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 16, 2020 07:31AM
Letter by certified mail, return receipt requested explaining you already paid with copy of bank statement with the payment highlighted as proof.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: August 17, 2020 05:18PM
Didn't you pay your accountant? I would think that fee would include dealing with this issue. They can hassle the IRS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020