advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What do I need to do (know) before changing iPhone 6s front screen?
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 16, 2020 09:20AM
If I have a broken screen, should I remove the finder sensor and put it on the other screen from the other non working iPhone 6s.

I remember somewhere that you had to have the thumbprint reader tied to the phone some how..

Also, does someone have a good link on Amazon for a replacement battery for the iPhone 6s, I see many , and some at different power...(not sure really).

Thanks

Just a reliable company, and battery

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2020 09:25AM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What do I need to do (know) before changing iPhone 6s front screen?
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 16, 2020 09:34AM
Are you going to attempt it yourself? If so, I’d check iFixit.com.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 16, 2020 11:05AM
I have used repairpartsusa.com a company out of Florida for a couple of battery replacements.
They ship pretty quickly. I replaced a battery in an iPad/iPhone and Also went to Amazon only to find a ton of batteries. So I did a google search and found this company.

An iPad battery came damaged by USPS and they replaced it without issue.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 16, 2020 11:39AM
Micro,

I've heard of way too many issues resulting from aftermarket displays. Spend the bucks and have Apple do it for you. That said, ask yourself if it's even cost effective. A 6S is old enough that it'll also possibly have battery issuesin the near future and it soon won't be supported by the newest iOS. That's why when my 6S was having battery issues I decided to replace it entirely with an 11 Pro. No regrets at all.

Robert
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 16, 2020 12:23PM
I’m with Robert — is this even cost effective to a 6s?

Imho— no.

Take whatever $ u we’re gonna spend on parts (and your time) and order a 2020 SE and be done with it.

I’ve seen them with a new contract for as little as $199 (or was it $99?)

It’s will last for many many OSes to come.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 16, 2020 12:46PM
Microman, if you already have the replacement screen, the battery should cost about $20-25.
Yes keep the finger print sensor and put it on the new screen, if you don’t, the replacement sensor will not work. Sensors are tied to the logic/motherboard. I would repair it for when it comes time to replace it. $45 ish (screen and battery) vs $500-1000 plus. No brainer.
Date: August 16, 2020 12:57PM
I have 3 Iphone 6S.

One broken Screen, best one, with 64 memory. Dropped at Disneyland.

I have another 64 with slight chip in upper screen. That I am currently using that I messed up the screen when I went under the house to take pictures. It works, but lines through the screen. Times its worse, and times it is better., but never really good looking screen now.

I have another that was my grandsons, that is perfect except it is Verizon (Unlocked I was told) and the home button doesn't recognize fingerprints.

Hopting to take the 6S I broke at Disney, and add the new battery, and screen from Grandsons 6s, and the home button from my Disney phone.

If it works, it will just be the cost of the Battery..

Already have the broken screen phone, and grandsons phone, with their front LCD lifted up to 90 Degrees, and ready to roll.

Will follow iFixit, and other videos to get the battery and screen fixed... It will be nice to have a new battery....
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 16, 2020 01:01PM
ARen't you better off just ordering a used phone off Gazelle? You could do a cost benefit analysis and see if it is still worth your time.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Golfer
Date: August 16, 2020 02:15PM
Put me in the fix it yourself camp. You can get a screen for less that $30 off Amazon. I've changed dozens of screens on the 6S's, very easy to do. Follow iFixit's guide. I use to only use iFixit screens but switched to Amazon and haven't had any failures yet, just pick one with good reviews. And yes, you'll need to switch the home button to the new screen for the fingerprint ID to work.
Date: August 16, 2020 07:31PM
Took the Grandsons and my Disneyland main phone apart.

Got battery out of Disney iPhone. Got screens swapped from one to the other, and kept the Home Button on the phone it came.

I am waiting on the battery to come tomorrow for the Disneyland Broken screen phone, that now has a nice clean black screen.

I put the grandsons phone together with the broken screen and its runs fine. Still finger recognition doesn't work on his phone, but now it has a very bad cracked screen. Grandsons phone must have had a 3rd party home button put in some time, before he got it from Verizon.

Anyway all going well.

One tip, is to pull on the tape on the battery and try not to let it break, if you do you will need to heat or use a credit card cut to fit under the battery. If you do it correctly you should be able to pull each of the two tapes under the battery in their entirety. I read on iFixit that you could roll the tweezer and wind up the tape as it pull out. It will stretch very long , but don't break it....

Will report after battery install tomorrow.

Could thing I ordered the repair kit tools for the iPhone 6s, it really helped having a magnetic small screwdriver.

[www.amazon.com]

I could use a recommendation for a good screen, that won't crack easily, and has the 3D option, etc.... if someone has dealt with a certain company, lmk, and I will probably fix another 6s, on the cheap, if tomorrow goes well

EDIT: wonder if I will have to sticky tape new battery in place?, Will research google, and someone may answer with their experience

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2020 09:59PM by Microman.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 16, 2020 09:09PM
Nice!
Date: August 17, 2020 08:09PM
Battery came. All working, Restoring the phone now.

I cant tell you how having a magnetic tiny screw driver and penta driver help. Magnatism is great.

Also, was lucky they sent two of the tapes that hold down the battery. As I was a little unsure and when I accidentally touched the sticky tape, it was wrong spot, and ruined. Learned from my lesson. Also If I was to do it again, I would make sure I had more of the tips of the tape for the battery showing and wrapping around the battery, so the next time it needs a battery it won't be too much of a fight to get a hold of that tape.

Had trouble with bottom right corner by the home button to lay completely flat, so time spent making sure sealer stuff was out of gloves. Also had to pop off top again, to align the two FIRST screws you take off by the charging port. Actually needed to hold down on the screen a little bit to make the holes line up.

About 25% in a Restore and update, then restore from backup.

And we will see how it goes. Taptic works, Home Buton Works...Screen looks beautiful... And I believe from a YouTube video I saw last night that my problem with the 6s that I took under the house is the screen itself. Youtube vide said that the screen doesn't have to crack to make the lines etc. Guy took an open iPhone and had a bad screen with lines, Turned it off. Plugged another screen in and turned on, and all was good. Another thing that makes me think it is the screen , is when I take a screen capture of the bad lines in the screen, that the picture it saves is perfect.

Will follow up, after RESTORE, and let you know about screen. Have to consider how much I want to invest in these other two iPhone 6s now. Batter around $19, Screen could be $16-$30. Depending on which seller has the best reviews.

All good, phone is great, and like new., now to possibly fix other 6s, for backup

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2020 09:25AM by Microman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020