advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommendations for mist cooling system for deck?
Posted by: Drew
Date: August 16, 2020 06:58PM
It's hot on the deck, even at night. Anything to look for/look out for with a mist system for cooling? I'm in Japan, but we seem to have similar products as what I see on Amazon US.

One type is a bar, maybe 3-4 feet long, mounted on a tripod. Height adjustable. The other main type is the 10-20 feet of hose with nozzles that I could mount around the perimeter.

What I like about the tripod type is that I could move it according to need, including breeze direction.

Advice appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommendations for mist cooling system for deck?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 16, 2020 07:10PM
People on some of the FB Ryobi groups are really enjoying these. We have a ton of Ryobi batteries and it would make good sense for us but in the hot muggy East I doubt it would do any good.

18-Volt ONE+ 2-Speed Bucket Top Misting Fan (Tool Only)
[www.homedepot.com]

Grateful11

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2020 07:13PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 16, 2020 08:20PM
Those misting systems (evaporative cooling) only work in places where the relative humidity is low.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 16, 2020 08:41PM
Hope you and yours are holding up OK in that heat, Drew. 100 forecast for Friday. Stay cool!

Posted by: Carm
Date: August 16, 2020 08:51PM
freeradical
Those misting systems (evaporative cooling) only work in places where the relative humidity is low.
No kidding, we had our misters on (it’s hot and humid right now), it helped a wee bit, but the yard looked foggy.
Date: August 16, 2020 08:52PM
Thanks lost in space. Yeah, around 100F every day and never below 80F, even in the middle of the night. Worst part is humidity, 65-85% every day.

The high humidity makes me wonder about the misting system, as freeradical noted that they don't work so well in high humidity.

On the other hand, I've seen misters in public places and they seem to work. They certainly feel good. Though maybe because it's a larger open space and kind of an industrial style setup.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 16, 2020 09:05PM
The key (as I understand it) for misters to work effectively in humid environments, is that they need to be very high pressure. Last time I researched the market, none of the retail machines were very effective. You need the very high dollar commercial models.

The reason for the higher pressure is that it atomizes the water into smaller/finer droplets, making it easier to evaporate into the surrounding air (and in the process of evaporation, cool it).
Posted by: Bo
Date: August 16, 2020 09:06PM
We have a hose/brass nozzle system and while it definitely works very well, there are certainly some drawbacks.

It puts out quite a bit of water and makes our whole deck area pretty wet.
If the nozzles are aiming up into an arbor or spraying toward any close by surface it makes water drip in pretty concentrated areas.
If there is any breeze at all it redirects it all over the place and rarely is it exactly where you want it.
And of course it’s not mobile if it’s fixed to a structure like a pergola or something.

I think a mobile floor or slightly above flood level type unit like the one linked above might be more effective.

That said, I have been parking a deck chair under ours daily just to get through these back to back 100 degree days in Northern California. It has been a savior!
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 16, 2020 10:04PM
We have a 1000psi system brass nozzle with stainless steel tubes. I’m trying to upload the damn picture on here. But file needs to be jpg not jpeg. Frustrating
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 16, 2020 10:08PM
I bought an inexpensive misting system off Amazon and it worked well for a year. Then we moved to a new house where I tried it again and it worked well for a year but then failed. I replaced it with a higher quality misting system with brass misters but it also plugged. After that I replaced the brass pieces and put a in-line filter in place and that seems to have solve the problem.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: August 16, 2020 10:38PM
Thanks all. Good things to consider here.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 17, 2020 09:13AM
Carm
We have a 1000psi system brass nozzle with stainless steel tubes. I’m trying to upload the damn picture on here. But file needs to be jpg not jpeg. Frustrating

Just manually change the file name extension from jpeg to jpg and you'll be fine.

JoeM
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 17, 2020 09:53AM
.....would these work for Gorillas [ in the mist ]..........?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 17, 2020 04:54PM
No, the mist wouldn’t be fine enough.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020