advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New iMac set up questions
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 19, 2020 09:25AM
I'm getting my new 2020 iMac tomorrow! The old one is a mid 2011 running High Sierra. So, I was planning on using my Time Machine Backup from the old machine. Would target disc mode work better?

Asheville, NC Area
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New iMac set up questions
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 19, 2020 09:40AM
I would put your documents in a folder to transfer (maybe target disc mode), or iCloud, and set up your new iMac as a new machine.

It will stay cleaner longer.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 19, 2020 10:12AM
If you have a current backup, then maybe do Migration Assistant from the 2011 iMac.
Date: August 19, 2020 10:29AM
I forgot to mention that all of my data files are already in icloud drive.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 19, 2020 10:43AM
Either method works fine.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 19, 2020 11:37AM
We did a machine to machine transfer using Migration Assistant for my wife's new MBA. It did not take all that long. Everything came across very well, with the only exception being saved passwords in Safari.
I did a manual transcription of those from the old machine and showed them to my wife, who said she only needed about 5 of them...

She had been backing up to our Time Machine forever, and we ran one immediately before migrating. But machine to machine was suer easy.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 19, 2020 12:22PM
If you don't need it to be ultra secure for work, boot into Recovery mode and disable drive encryption so you can boot from an external if the internal dies.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 19, 2020 12:27PM
Either method works well but Target Disk is more dependable for me. However you need the TB1/2 to TB3 adapter for it to work and most people don't just have that laying around. OFC I have taken the mantra from Contact very much to heart: "Why buy one when you can have two for twice the price?" Yes, I have 2 of those.
Date: August 19, 2020 02:31PM
I strongly believe that setting this up as a new Mac and just having iCloud bring over accounts and use a password manager to bring over passwords etc will be the valuable long-term.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 19, 2020 05:30PM
you REALY want to read this article about owing a mac with the TS security chip.

[appleinsider.com]

If your internal drive becomes unbootable, you will not be able to boot from ANY external drive until you do as suggested in the article, so do it BEFORE you have an issue.
Date: August 19, 2020 05:40PM
hal
you REALY want to read this article about owing a mac with the TS security chip.

[appleinsider.com]

If your internal drive becomes unbootable, you will not be able to boot from ANY external drive until you do as suggested in the article, so do it BEFORE you have an issue.

Great info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2020 05:41PM by sekker.
Date: August 19, 2020 10:52PM
hal

[appleinsider.com]

Good advice. I shall do this.

Asheville, NC Area
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020