advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Glass Repair on iPhone X
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 19, 2020 07:32PM
my son dropped his iphone x and cracked the screen in a lower corner. Apple repair is too pricey. Are those mall type repair place generally legit?

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Glass Repair on iPhone X
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 19, 2020 07:54PM
graylocks
my son dropped his iphone x and cracked the screen in a lower corner. Apple repair is too pricey. Are those mall type repair place generally legit?

No AppleCare+ ...?

...Mall repair places inevitably use inferior parts, but they do the job and they'll usually offer free replacement if defects show up within a month after the repair. (Double-check the warranty.)

...Apple has started a program that allows some to get official Apple parts, but it's uncommon in the extreme to find anyone doing it.

Date: August 19, 2020 09:38PM
he’s had the phone long enough for applecare to run out.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 19, 2020 10:27PM
Looks like it would take a while, and need all the tools that come with a replacement screen. Magnetic Screwdriver, etc..

[www.ifixit.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 20, 2020 12:47AM
Ive had great luck with the mall peeps. Guy right outside the apple store does nothing but screens and batteries all day. 20 minutes.

Gotta be a master at doing it by now.

Did my OG SE for $59.

Im sure an X is totally different, but bet he would have no prob with it either.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: d4
Date: August 20, 2020 07:05AM
If it was my own personal phone I would pay Apple to do it.

If I was paying to fix someone else's phone, definitely a mall kiosk. Be aware, with any the vast majority of 3rd party repairs, the water resistance will be gone. For the rest of the life of the phone you will have a perceived (whether real or not) feeling that something is ever so slightly "off" with the phone.

After the screen repair, before handing it back to your son, purchase and install a screen protector for him. The same mall kiosk can help you out with this.

Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 20, 2020 07:28AM
I just had my X done at the mall - looks/works great - 40 minutes - $129
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 20, 2020 07:36AM
....nice to see that y'all are on good terms with your X's........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 20, 2020 08:28AM
d4
If it was my own personal phone I would pay Apple to do it.

If I was paying to fix someone else's phone, definitely a mall kiosk. Be aware, with any the vast majority of 3rd party repairs, the water resistance will be gone. For the rest of the life of the phone you will have a perceived (whether real or not) feeling that something is ever so slightly "off" with the phone.

After the screen repair, before handing it back to your son, purchase and install a screen protector for him. The same mall kiosk can help you out with this.

he’s quite grown so this is on his dime. mom is just helping with repair options beyond Apple.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 20, 2020 09:54AM
I used a local phone/tablet repair shop to fix the screen on mrs. cbelt3's old iPad Air2. $80 out the door, works perfectly. I would look for a local shop that has great ratings and go there. Mall kiosks are usually not as competent as brick and mortar, and may be out of biz these days.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: August 20, 2020 10:43AM
Got a quote of replacing the screen of my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5". Around $350 with tax. Needless to say, I ordered a new one instead. Maybe prices will come down at some point. Seems that model's screen is pricey.
Posted by: d4
Date: August 20, 2020 12:38PM
As a point of reference, in NYC a b/m storefront place charged $100 flat for an iPhone7 screen replacement in April 2020. Took 15-20 minutes. And as I mentioned earlier, no water resistance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 407
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020