advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Move over Honus Wagner, there’s a new baseball card king
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 23, 2020 09:56PM
Mike Trout trading card sells for almost $4 million, breaks record set by Honus Wagner card

[www.washingtonpost.com]

A one-of-a-kind Mike Trout trading card sold for almost $4 million at an auction Saturday, breaking a record for such items set by a Honus Wagner card.

The 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Prospects Mike Trout Superfractor signed rookie card has a notation on it that it was one in a series of just one, according to Goldin Auctions, which oversaw its sale to an unidentified buyer for a reported $3.93 million.

The previous record was set in 2016, when a rare Honus Wagner T206 card produced between 1909 and 1911 sold for $3.12 million. Wagner, whose career ended in 1917, has long since been regarded as one of the greatest baseball players ever, and while Trout is on track for that kind of acclaim, he is just 29 and figures to play for another decade.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Move over Honus Wagner, there’s a new baseball card king
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 24, 2020 12:46AM
Bastards! $3.75M was my limit.

wink smiley
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 24, 2020 04:22AM
$$$ > cerebral matter

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: d4
Date: August 24, 2020 07:50AM
Alot of play-money floating around out there nowadays among the 1-percenters. It'll be encased in lucite and locked away in a mansion somewhere for the next 50 years.

Sports memorabilia is rarely a good investment.

Exhibit 23a 3457b:
In 2000, Artist Todd McFarlane, best known for the Spawn comic book series, admitted to being the anonymous purchaser of the infamous 1998 Mark McGwire 70th home run baseball. $3,005,000.

Apparently, McFarlane has baseball fever - he owns nine baseballs from both Sosa and McGuire.

During a press conference, McFarlane said, "I blew my life savings on this... I don't have a lot of cash.'' The artist will make the collection of balls available to the Hall of Fame and charity events.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 25, 2020 01:05PM
d4
Alot of play-money floating around out there nowadays among the 1-percenters. It'll be encased in lucite and locked away in a mansion somewhere for the next 50 years.

Sports memorabilia is rarely a good investment.

Exhibit 23a 3457b:
In 2000, Artist Todd McFarlane, best known for the Spawn comic book series, admitted to being the anonymous purchaser of the infamous 1998 Mark McGwire 70th home run baseball. $3,005,000.

Apparently, McFarlane has baseball fever - he owns nine baseballs from both Sosa and McGuire.

During a press conference, McFarlane said, "I blew my life savings on this... I don't have a lot of cash.'' The artist will make the collection of balls available to the Hall of Fame and charity events.

tl;dr

Man who writes comic books spends money like kid who reads comic books.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 153
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020