advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What browser are you using?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 13, 2005 10:02AM
I'm pretty happy with OmniWeb; have been since You Can't Handle the VP FranX turned me onto it some time ago. I use Safari from time to time on my wife's iMac.

I also have Firefox installed on both our Macs. It's my "goto" browser; when something doesn't quite work in either Safari or Omniweb, it almost certainly will in Firefox.

Right now, the only real reason I'm not in Firefox full time is (a) it's butt ugly and (b) I need the "red squiggles" for spelling inherent to both Safari and Omniweb. A spellchecker add-in just won't do; I want it "live & dynamic".

So, then, what browser are you using? And does Firefox have that squiggle option, and I'm just missing it?

UPDATE: Some interesting info on WebKit and Omni here (user comments):

[www.macupdate.com]

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2005 10:08AM by Zoidberg.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What browser are you using?
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 13, 2005 10:08AM
[spellbound.sourceforge.net]

not built in -- dunno if it works in 1.5.

buy a dictionary? ff kicks ass.

(one handed typing)
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 13, 2005 10:08AM
I use FF primary, Safari secondary.

IE when it is something that I have a gut feeling just requires it because of format.

Still have never tried Omni beyond the first release. I always thought that since those guys were former NeXT people, that they would be building the one that shipped with X.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 13, 2005 10:10AM
Camino primarily
Posted by: Phy
Date: December 13, 2005 10:13AM
Safari, and occasionally FF.
I also value the "red squigglies".
Posted by: Jimmypoo
I forgot about Camino.

Fusty... am trying that link right now. How do I know it is working? It didn't underline "fusty" - perhaps it will do it when I click "post?"
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Firefox, on all of my machines.
Posted by: dmann
Date: December 13, 2005 10:19AM
Firefox on the Dell I am using right now for work.
Mozilla on all my Macs.

DM
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 13, 2005 10:21AM
Safari..

Keep meaning to give FireFox another shot... something didn't work right the first time I tried it (can't even remember what now), and I haven't gotten back to it yet, despite glowing reviews.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: December 13, 2005 10:23AM
Firefox on the work PC & both Macs at home.
Spellbound doesn't work with 1.5.

Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: December 13, 2005 10:23AM
I use Safari, but drop back to FF especially in certain commercial sites that go goofy with Safari, especially Continental Airlines site.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 13, 2005 10:33AM
Safari mainly but I guess I should also try Firefox again.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: December 13, 2005 10:34AM
Firefox and Camino
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: December 13, 2005 10:36AM
1. Firefox
2. Safari
3. Camino
Date: December 13, 2005 10:38AM
One other big thing I like about OmniWeb (that I'm reminded of when I use other browsers) is that I can set individual site preferences -- helpful when looking at "white text on black background" sites (I really really hate those pages); I can set it to not load background images on particular sites (site-wide) so I don't have to keep going back & forth to the prefs.

I don't recall this being an option with other browsers (i.e., site-specific settings).
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 13, 2005 10:52AM
OW 5.5 should fix most people's gripes about OW (other than it costing money of course.)

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: December 13, 2005 11:05AM
Looking very forward to 5.5; is Feb 2006 really the release date? I guess I can wait that long. smiling smiley
Date: December 13, 2005 11:08AM
Zoidberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking very forward to 5.5; is Feb 2006 really
> the release date? I guess I can wait that long.

dunno what the release date is, sorry.

Posted by: punkindrublik
Date: December 13, 2005 11:22AM
Camino & Safari. Firefox at work (PC)

Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 13, 2005 11:30AM
Firefox at work on the PC. Mostly Firefox at home, too, with Safari and Omniweb on occasion, and IE when nothing else will work (some sites are just like that, for some reason). Wamcom Mozilla when on the iMac which is still running 9.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 13, 2005 11:46AM
Firefox.

I have grown addicted to several extensions:

Sessionsaver: Restarts the browser with all the previously open tabs intact. Including text in textboxes. Even after a crash

Adblock: Block individual images/ads. Supports wildcards. Can block javascript, too. No more flashing WINNER!!!!11! banners.

One that controls itunes from the browser. One that shows unread gmail. Several Fark-centric extensions.
Date: December 13, 2005 11:51AM
If they would just add the spelling squiggles -- and hopefully use the system's spell check, not yet another proprietary dictionary -- I'd give it a really fair share of my browsing time.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: December 13, 2005 12:05PM
FireFox 1.5 w/ Web Developers Tool Bar

Safari some too.

=wr=
Date: December 13, 2005 12:07PM
Lux Interior Wrote:
> Firefox.
>
> I have grown addicted to several extensions:
>
> Sessionsaver: Restarts the browser with all the
> previously open tabs intact. Including text in
> textboxes. Even after a crash
>
> Adblock: Block individual images/ads. Supports
> wildcards. Can block javascript, too. No more
> flashing WINNER!!!!11! banners.

Both of those are in OW.

I don't like FF because the interface is still chunkier than Netscape 3. We have this nice, refined looking OS and then FF has a hack job (looking) of an interface.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 13, 2005 12:34PM
M A V I C Wrote:

>
> Both of those are in OW.
>

Is it free? Some replies imply that it is not. Personally, I don't mind FF's interface. I assume it has tabbed browsing? That is non-negotiable for me.

Another thing about FF is the "Start searching when you start typing" option.

If you want to find a word on the page, just start typing. No need to cmd-f, open search dialog, type in string, hit OK...

Date: December 13, 2005 12:36PM
It's not free but, IMO, worth what I paid for it:

[www.omnigroup.com]

OmniWeb has visual (image) or text tabs:

[www.omnigroup.com]

Lots of other cool features:

[www.omnigroup.com]

I do like that "start searching when you start typing" thing in FF. Neat.
Posted by: macmom42
Date: December 13, 2005 12:47PM
Safari most of the time. FF if I want to play XM radio. Like M A V I C, I don't care for FF's interface. Opera is nice but unfortunately there are several sites with which it won't work, kind of like Safari was back in its early days.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
Date: December 13, 2005 12:48PM
Lux Interior Wrote:
> M A V I C Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > Both of those are in OW.
> >
>
> Is it free? Some replies imply that it is not.
> Personally, I don't mind FF's interface. I assume
> it has tabbed browsing? That is non-negotiable for
> me.

Not free, though it saves me its cost on a daily basis. Yes, it has tabs. And a better implementation than any other browser I've seen.

> Another thing about FF is the "Start searching
> when you start typing" option.

Yes. OW has had this since before FF came out, IIRC.

Date: December 13, 2005 01:20PM
M A V I C; I didn't know that about the "start searching..."

Looking at the features page, OW has a hell of a lot of features that I haven't even been using.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 13, 2005 02:13PM
Unfortunately, work is all PC, and there are rules as to not installing stuff yourself (they actually check all the time), so just plain IE.

At home it's usually Safari.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: December 13, 2005 02:36PM
Safari.
Were it not for its problems with bookmark organizing and finding, I'd use Camino.
Posted by: hwystar
Date: December 13, 2005 02:49PM
It is a matter of personal preference, and what you use it for, definitely.

It is all about function over form, for me.

OmniWeb seems to be the most functional of the Mac browsers. In my opinion, it seems to be the most customizable and configurable of them all, when it comes to adapting it to your personal working/surfing style. It is fast, and it also appears to be the most robust of the browsers I have tried. I have had as many as 350 tabs open in it and had it continue to run for weeks on end. I don't think any of the other Mac browsers can compete in that respect. And there are so many other features that it has, natively, that others do not, that I won't even begin to list them, some have been mentioned already.

And BTW, you can download a new version of OW, and reload it, and you still have all your prefs, bookmarks, etc. with no problem, even if you don't wish to purchase the browser. The only real difference is that you have the OW page as your homepage if you don't have the paid version.

But the one feature that OmniWeb has, that I have found to be indespensible, that I can't live without after using it, is the autosave feature.

If you turn on the autosave check box, it will save the window position, tabs, bookmarks, and history of each tab that you have open in a given workspace. You can have 10 pages and 200 tabs open, and quit the browser, to do a software update, for instance, or crash (very rare in my experience, even with literally hundreds of tabs open), or have a kernel panic and system reboot, you just restart the app, and it will reload all of your pages, windows and tabs, with their bookmarks and history, window size and position, etc. in just the state they were in before the restart.

It does reload the pages with fresh data, of course. It cannot revert to previously downloaded page info, such as a version of a page you loaded a week before that is no longer available from the server. But what a great, and invaluable, time and labor saving feature. Never again will you be forced to go back through your history and try to figure out what pages you had open that you need. Once you try it, if you are like me, you will be hooked, I am sure.

I use Safari and FireFox also, still, on occasion, as my backup browsers, but OmniWeb is numero uno, in my experience.

Which browser is best for you ultimately depends on how you use it and what you need it for, basically what features are your priorities, how you weight those priorities, and what your preferences are.

For me and the way I use a browser, OmniWeb is by far my favorite, and Safari is second. But Safari is missing at least one feature that OmniWeb has that I feel is mandatory, and that is its "autosave" feature I described above. For me, this feature is one that I can't live without.

For me to consider making any other browser my favorite, it would have to equal or beat this feature that I have come to rely on so much.

In my opinion, OmniWeb is the most configurable and adaptable browser, at least as far as what it comes with natively, not counting aftermarket plug-ins, etc. I much prefer native features, because when I update my system SW for example, I don't have to worry about setting up all the modules, plug-ins, and haxies and updating them all for each individual feature I want to use, if they have even been updated yet, etc.

It has been my experience that any browser will slow down over time as you open more windows and tabs, and load it up with more bookmarks, etc. And it will load pages slower, and switch pages and tabs slower, and open new pages and tabs slower, and close them slower. It will also slow down with regards to bookmarking and opening the bookmarks folder. I have never tried one that did not. And there isn't a nickel's worth of difference between the actual page loading time with any of the leading browsers when using broadband and with just one tab open on one page, when you just open the app. It isn't until you load them up that speed seems to noticeably lag. And that seems to happen with any browser. So if you are going to compare page loading speed between two or more browsers, then you should do it with any browsers that you are testing having been running the same length of time, and having the same pages loaded in them when you test them, and the same number of bookmarks.

This is something that I know about, because I typically run my browsers with 5-10 pages open and multiple tabs on each page, usually more than 10, and sometimes up to 100 or more on one page. I have often had 3-400 tabs open at one time during the course of researching a number of topics. I also leave my browsers running for weeks on end without closing them down or restarting the machine. Safari and OmniWeb seem to be the most stable for me when abused heavily in this manner. But that is what matters to me.

So far, every other browser I have tried has had some sort of "deal breaker". For instance, FireFox has no way to select a tab directly that has overflowed the tab bar out of sight to the right (such as the pull-down menu that Safari uses, or, IMO, even better, the scroll bar in OW). In FF you can use KB shortcuts (non-standard, in the case of FireFox, which is unacceptable, IMO) to cycle through all the tabs in the page to get there, either direction, but you have to work your way through each of the tabs between where you start and the desired one, there is no way to just go there directly. This just ruins it for me, personally. Of course, if you don't use tabs, or don't use tabs much, and never use more than 5-10 tabs on one page that wouldn't make as much difference to you. That is why it is a matter of personal style and work habits.

One major problem for me with FireFox is that certain pages, if left open in the browser, will cause it to not work with KB shortcuts at all on any tabs or pages. And until those particular pages are closed, NO KB shortcuts whatsoever will work in the app. And some of the text boxes from those pages actually show through other tabs when you are working on other tabs. Two examples of this are the speedtest sites at [www.stickdog.com] and at [www.wugnet.com] which are two of my favorite sites for troubleshooting connection problems. I think it is somehow related to the way the browser handles javascript, but have not looked into it enought to know anything for sure. All I know is that I do not have the same problem with OW and Safari. Do any of you have this problem when you leave one of those two sites open in your browser and go on with your browsing?

Another problem with FireFox is how some of the menus (or the url address field) stick open, or do not open correctly, or delay opening when accessed, even with just a couple of tabs open. And when they stick open, if you change tabs or pages, they may even show up on those tabs or pages. Sometimes you have to actually press <esc> to get them to close after you make a selection, and sometimes that doesn't even work. So, IMO, the product is not quite ready for prime time yet. But, like I said, I push a browser to the limit, IMO, and so I tend to run into problems that many other users may not, or may not mind.

So for this reason, I am less willing to use a beta version of a browser, even if it shows promise, instead preferring to stick with what has proven more reliable for my style of use.

hwystar
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 13, 2005 03:15PM
I *heart* Camino.

It's just a no-nonsense browser... most of the features you use, few you don't. Fast. Nice/simple user interface. Very stable, though I have gotten a few crashes recently (to be expected, since I'm using an alpha release).
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 13, 2005 06:40PM
I really like Firefox alot. And I'm just using it without any added extensions. Of course I guess I don't demand much from a browser and/or I don't miss a feature I never had.

Safari is just so s l o w. Every once in a while I'll give it another shot and remember why I switched to Firefox.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 13, 2005 06:51PM
Firefox 1.0.7; also using it in Virtual PC, but I am usually using IE in VPC so that I can check out all the stuff that works in every browser except IE.

I really, really hate IE.
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: December 13, 2005 08:04PM
My dock:

ImageShack just gave me a wierd error:

Hmmmm?

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: December 13, 2005 09:56PM
Safari 2 has been good to me, but lately it's crashing a lot, so FF 1.5 is working its way back into the starting position.

Really, I think Flash is the culprit (I hate Flash ads and pointless Flash-heavy pages), but FF 1.5 and Flashblock seem to handle it better than Safari 2 or FF 1.0x.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 13, 2005 11:21PM
FireFox has no way to select a tab directly that has overflowed the tab bar out of sight to the right (such as the pull-down menu that Safari uses, or, IMO, even better, the scroll bar in OW).

there's an extension that will give you a drop-down menu of open tabs, plus other tab niceties. Tab-plus.
Posted by: joycee
Date: December 14, 2005 12:42AM
I use Omniweb. I just can't give up a few of its features. I like the way the tabs are displayed, and I love that I can customize prefs for each website individually. Oh, and filtering out images - both ads and individual images that I run across that annoy me and I don't want to ever see again - I love that!

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´How about if you greased them up first? Are chihuahua's cooperative pack hunters? ~TheCaber
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020