advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
4 months away- what does your Christmas look like now?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 25, 2020 02:33PM
This the the question I ask every month on the 25th. The answers seem to change every time. Christmas is just 4 months away from today. How do you think you will be on December 25th (and the weeks leading up to it?)

How does this differ from your previous answers?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 4 months away- what does your Christmas look like now?
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 25, 2020 02:40PM
In what way?

emotionally? financially? politically? or all of the above? or none of the above?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: August 25, 2020 02:44PM
jdc
In what way?

emotionally? financially? politically? or all of the above? or none of the above?

Any thing you'd care to post. It's your choice.
Posted by: d4
Date: August 25, 2020 02:45PM
Giving away one share of AAPL as a holiday gift will be back to being affordable after the split thumbs up

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 25, 2020 02:49PM
I only recently thought about this, as we have a party with relations on Christmas Eve. It's been shrinking for decades as families peel off and do their own thing but this may be the first year we don't host it at all. And of course, the myriad parties we'd attend at other houses.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 25, 2020 03:27PM
My wife wants us to do our usual trek up north, but we might get targeted due to our Florida license plate.

Her family probably won't have any issues with us coming up. We're essentially isolated at home, so the chances of any of us being infected would be very low. But my family will probably not be as accepting. Three of my 4 siblings are at risk due to age, and two of their spouses have other factors that make them at risk. If we go to visit them, we would likely stay in a hotel and find a way to be socially distant.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 25, 2020 03:32PM
Likely skip the big gathering with grandparents / aunts & uncles / cousins - they might still bold it but I doubt many would show. Most of the aunts / uncles are teachers and my grandmother is in her 90s.

Would likely have a gathering at my parents place although its unclear whether my siblings and spouses would attend likely based on exposure due to employment.

At largest its likely a gathering of 4 households. 10 people total.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 25, 2020 04:02PM
Hard to tell. I don't really have any family, except a demented mother halfway across the country. But my partner has a lot of family. I suspect her 2 youngest kids will come over, as they just live a mile from us. Her mom is in an assisted living facility, which is in essentially lockdown, so that will be tough. Partner's ex husband might come over to see his kids.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 25, 2020 04:10PM
This will likely be only the second Christmas in the last half century we won't spend with extended family. First was with our first newborn and did not have the energy to do much of anything.

Weird times, but at least it's not war.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 25, 2020 04:35PM
.....do they know it's Christmas time......at all.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 25, 2020 05:02PM
Bleak and a bit more pessimistic.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: PeterW
Date: August 25, 2020 05:16PM
Who looks that far ahead these days?
Posted by: jims
Date: August 25, 2020 05:19PM
A little more lonely. Every year we either go to San Francisco or my son and family come to Arkansas. We were just discussing this last weekend and it looks like neither one will happen this year. Still 4 months to go so maybe something will change.

jims
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 25, 2020 06:31PM
My wife and I were just discussing this about 2 or 3 days ago. We usually gather at a siblings home with about 7 or 8 of us but this year we've already decided that my wife and I won' be attending. With one sibling working at a huge hospital complex to the other two not giving a crap and calling the whole thing fake and not social distancing during this mess at all I'm just don't want to take the chance, I have enough health issues as is. We're still not letting anyone come into our home.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2020 06:32PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 25, 2020 06:43PM
Not sure. Often I come in to NY for a few weeks around the holidays to visit my family, but not sure that is going to happen this year. My parents are being VERY careful and I am, to put it mildly, not, so that wouldn't go over very well. Not sure what the rest of my family is doing, if they even know themselves...
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 25, 2020 08:14PM
I will counting the days until the inauguration.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 25, 2020 08:28PM
PeterW
Who looks that far ahead these days?

This is us. If we make it through the start of fall classes without issue, we will enjoy a nice break. Christmas? We hope to see out daughter.
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 25, 2020 08:40PM
Depends if movie theaters will be open or not - usually Chinese food and a movie for us...
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 25, 2020 08:48PM
I am usually busy then, although last Xmas, I had more jobs the following weekend and New Year's day. This year, I suspect that people still won't be traveling much, and therefore, won't have any need of my services. If no one needs me, I'll be in my own home for the holiday, not working, for the first time ever. The last time I spent the holiday with family was probably 2005. The next year, I was just starting my current line of work, and have had to work every major holiday since then.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 25, 2020 09:53PM
Don’t ask this every month. It just depresses me.
My only daughter lives in NYC and we live in GA, land of the unbelievers in science and masks.
I haven’t seen her in person since last Christmas. We are hoping maybe to see her in October, maybe.
She will most likely not get to come home for the holidays, first time ever in her 29 years that we won’t see her at Xmas, so it isn’t helping to be reminded of this every month. Just sayin. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: August 25, 2020 11:19PM
It's on my mind because I have someone I want to see in person and we haven't seen one another in person since last Halloween. The prospects do not look good for SteveG-mas on December 21st.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 25, 2020 11:21PM
Assuming I'm still working (not a given in these days) Wife and I have the last two weeks of the year scheduled off. Our vacation does NOT roll over, but I'm loathe to use up any PTO with the economy teetering....

It won't be a great Christmas, but if things are good, we might have a white Christmas, thinking about traveling to Santa Fe or Durango and having a family Christmas in a cabin.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 26, 2020 07:00AM
For most people, LOTS of lumps of coal in LOTS of stockings. sad smiley

Buy hey, at least they can get some heat.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 26, 2020 07:54AM
....no doubt that this will still be 'in effect'.......most families will stay apart....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 26, 2020 08:54AM
rgG
My only daughter lives in NYC and we live in GA, land of the unbelievers in science and masks.
I haven’t seen her in person since last Christmas. We are hoping maybe to see her in October, maybe.
She will most likely not get to come home for the holidays, first time ever in her 29 years that we won’t see her at Xmas, so it isn’t helping to be reminded of this every month. Just sayin. sad smiley

We can video chat. You show me your holiday thongs, and I'll show you my rosy cheeks.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 26, 2020 11:31AM
Racer X
rgG

We can video chat. You show me your holiday thongs, and I'll show you my rosy cheeks.

RollingEyesSmiley5

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020