advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
easy to trace the tracks of my tears?!.....Facebook warns that iOS 14 anti-tracking will cut ad revenue by 50%.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 26, 2020 11:26AM
...boo hoo for Facebook....

Facebook Says Apple's iOS 14 Anti-Tracking Features Will Cut 50% of its Audience Network Ad Revenue

....Facebook today warned advertisers that Apple's upcoming anti-tracking tools could cause a more than 50 percent drop in Audience Network publisher revenue due to the removal of personalization from ads within apps.

In a blog post, Facebook said that it does not collect the identifier from advertisers (IDFA) from Facebook-owned apps on iOS 14 devices, as Apple added a feature that requires users to agree to ad tracking to prevent cross-app and cross-site tracking used to provide targeted ads. Facebook says that it's not a change that it wants to make, but Apple has "forced this decision."

This is not a change we want to make, but unfortunately Apple's updates to iOS14 have forced this decision. We know this may severely impact publishers' ability to monetize through Audience Network on iOS 14, and, despite our best efforts, may render Audience Network so ineffective on iOS 14 that it may not make sense to offer it on iOS 14 in the future.

Facebook warns that iOS 14 could render Audience Network ineffective in iOS 14, and so it might not be offered on the platform in the future. Facebook says that it will have limited ability to deliver targeted ads in iOS 14. Some iOS 14 users will see no ads from Facebook's Audience Network program, while others will see less relevant ads. Publishers and developers who use Facebook's Audience Network program should count on lower CPMs.

While it's difficult to quantify the impact to publishers and developers at this point with so many unknowns, in testing we've seen more than a 50% drop in Audience Network publisher revenue when personalization was removed from mobile ad install campaigns. In reality, the impact to Audience Network on iOS 14 may be much more, so we are working on short-and long-term strategies to support publishers through these changes.

iOS 14 has a prominent "Tracking" section in the Privacy portion of the Settings app, where users can disable the option for apps to track them all together. Even if this feature is toggled off, apps must still ask permission to track users across apps and websites owned by other companies, which is a huge blow to the silent ad-related tracking that has been going on behind the scenes.

Facebook says that many of its developers and publishers will be "hurt" by iOS 14 at an "already difficult time," and that it plans to invest time and resources into building monetization products for publishers and supporting platforms outside of iOS 14.

don't cry for me......Argentina......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2020 11:29AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: easy to trace the tracks of my tears?!.....Facebook warns that iOS 14 anti-tracking will cut ad revenue by 50%.....
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 26, 2020 11:42AM
awwwwww, The gazillionaires will have to make do with less revenues from spying & spamming people. Tsk, tsk.
Re: easy to trace the tracks of my tears?!.....Facebook warns that iOS 14 anti-tracking will cut ad revenue by 50%.....
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 26, 2020 11:52AM
BooHoo. The longer the TOS are for an online company, the less likely I will use them. That's where they bury you surrendering any and all privacy to them.

I know a few web services, usually forums, where their TOS are basically "We collect no data, and we share no data" Those I will use.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 26, 2020 12:03PM
Anti-tracking is the #1 reason I am excited about iOS 14.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 26, 2020 12:05PM
pRICE cUBE

Can they bring that over to OS X? Just have it all locked down by default in Safari?

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 26, 2020 12:23PM
So, Facebook and others that have abused users' trust are now complaining that it's coming to an end? I can see this feature driving more users to iOS devices.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 26, 2020 12:34PM
Cry me a @#$%& river.

Date: August 26, 2020 12:35PM
Racer X
pRICE cUBE

Can they bring that over to OS X? Just have it all locked down by default in Safari?

I'll ask Tim Cook next time I see him.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 26, 2020 01:33PM
I mostly FB on the computer - have installed FB Purity and Social Fixer - NO ADS ever.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 26, 2020 01:44PM
I'm playing a sad song on the world's tiniest violin…

=wr=
Date: August 26, 2020 01:46PM
vicrock
I mostly FB on the computer - have installed FB Purity and Social Fixer - NO ADS ever.

When I am on a computer and using a browser, I use a separate browser for Facebook. Nothing else, not browsing, no email, nothing is used by the browser sect FB.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 26, 2020 02:45PM
"Good."
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 26, 2020 02:47PM
No problem, I don’t use Facebook.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 26, 2020 03:53PM
This part of the Privacy and Platform Wars I am very much on the side of Apple!

I love how Catalina locks down the Mac OS, looking for more privacy to come.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 26, 2020 04:43PM
PiHole.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 26, 2020 05:18PM
Speedy
No problem, I don’t use Facebook.

90% or more of the apps out there have facebook trackers in them.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 26, 2020 05:40PM
space-time
PiHole.

Used it for a while, and I loved it, by my wife hated it. Screwed up Google price searches. Couldn't find a good way around that (and yes, of course I put Google in the whitelist--even though that all by itself defeats a lot of the purpose of the pihole in the first place).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 26, 2020 06:03PM
....is it possible to shut....the PiHole.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 27, 2020 06:50AM
Will Collier
space-time
PiHole.

Used it for a while, and I loved it, by my wife hated it. Screwed up Google price searches. Couldn't find a good way around that (and yes, of course I put Google in the whitelist--even though that all by itself defeats a lot of the purpose of the pihole in the first place).

use Apple -> Location to switch between a network setting that uses PiHole and one which does not.

Or you could make custom settings for each user account: you use it, she does not.

This is all for OS X.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2020 06:51AM by space-time.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 20, 2020 04:40PM
I do NOT “do” Facebook but, I’m becoming enraged by all the Spammer / Scammers invading a device I paid for. All those bastiges can go @#$%& themselves. angry villagers smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 342
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020