advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help with upgrade on 2009 MBP to El Capitan- screen goes dark
Posted by: Randalls
Date: August 27, 2020 09:00PM
With forum help I upgraded my wife’s 2012 MBP to High Sierra and it went so smoothly I tried to update my 2009 MBP (5.5 with 4gb ram running a 500gb WD Blue 3D NAND SSD from10.6.8 to 10.11.6 El Capitan using the same installer that I used on the 2012. Everything seemed to go well but while typing a note to the MRF in Safari the screen went black. Did a hard reboot. Starts but the screen flashed black again for a second. Then on startup it goes and stays dark again.

I have my old OS backed up. What did I break? I was originally going to ask how much ram to buy, 2x4gb or 2x8gb? Any help appreciated
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help with upgrade on 2009 MBP to El Capitan- screen goes dark
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 27, 2020 09:09PM
Everything seemed to go well but while typing a note to the MRF in Safari the screen went black.

could it be a hardware failure??? GPU failure maybe?

I have my old OS backed up

Is that a bootable backup? did you try to boot from it? how does it work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2020 09:10PM by space-time.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 27, 2020 09:17PM
Agree with s-t.

Also, try a boot in single-user mode (hold Cmd-S during boot) to see what happens.
Date: August 27, 2020 09:20PM
I found this article but don’t know how to turn off iCloud authentication. Can I do that in safe or single user mode?
[www.networkworld.com]
Date: August 27, 2020 09:26PM
Randalls
I found this article but don’t know how to turn off iCloud authentication. Can I do that in safe or single user mode?
[www.networkworld.com]

interesting. maybe that is your problem... hmm.

OS X 10.11.1 (“El Capitan”) boots to a black screen with the mouse pointer located in the upper left hand corner and that’s it.

Do you see the mouse pointer?

EDIT: I am not quite sure what "iCloud authentication" is, I think that is when you allow iCloud to reset the password. That is one of the options I get when I set up a new machine and I always avoid it, LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2020 09:30PM by space-time.
Date: August 27, 2020 09:32PM
can you boot into single user mode or into safe mode?

is this box checked?

Date: August 27, 2020 09:34PM
Single user mode boots but don’t know what I am doing in there. I optioned to the back up but I can see the desktop for a second then fades to black again and stays there.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 27, 2020 10:03PM
Boot into Safe Mode (hold down shift key and start up).

If that works, check System Prefs>Security for the setting mentioned in that article.

While in Safe Mode, run Disk First Aid in Disk Utility.

Restart to leave Safe Mode. If that doesn’t work you could try a Safe Boot again and delete that Preferences file discussed in the article.
Date: August 27, 2020 10:05PM
I am going back to 10.6 using time machine to see what that avails
Date: August 27, 2020 10:11PM
Sorry Btfc missed your note. I did try the shift key boot and it gave me choices to run disk utility or use the time machine back up so that is what I chose. 4 hours to go. Should have been more patient. Should have known better than to mess with iCloud. So it goes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2020 10:16PM by Randalls.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 27, 2020 10:22PM
Also, your Mac might be trying to update firmware, which can cause the screen to go black for a while. It might also restart a time or two.
Date: August 27, 2020 10:28PM
Yes, too impatient. The 1st update went so well. I will update in the a.m.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 28, 2020 05:47AM
This info from the mothership may help:

About EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Mac computers

You might consider updating to High Sierra, thanks to dosdude1. [dosdude1.com]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2020 05:50AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 28, 2020 06:08AM
Randalls
...I optioned to the back up but I can see the desktop for a second then fades to black again and stays there.

1. So, the issue occurred BOTH when booted under macOS 10.11 and under OS X 10.6.8 ...?

2. Are you using the built-in keyboard, or do you have a USB/BT keyboard connected to that Mac?

3. Do the brightness controls on the built-in keyboard have any effect when this issue occurs?

4. When the screen goes black, pick up a flashlight and shine it through the Apple logo at the back of the display. Do you see faint images on the screen?

5. Can you hook up an external display to that 2009 MBP? Does the screen on the external display go black when the Mac has this problem?

Date: August 28, 2020 09:04AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I jumped the gun and ran time machine back to 10.6.8. Everything is now working as it should again. Screen is fine. Speed is fine. I noticed before the black screen of death appeared that I was getting beach balls in El Capitan (which is why I was going to ask about updating the current 4gb to - 2x4gb ram or 2x8gb ram). I was able to write about 1/2 a paragraph to the MRF using Safari before things went dark.

I know there is a simple answer out there for this glitch but this is the first time I used time machine and it appears to be just about as cool as CCC (except for lacking a boot ability. So I am chalking this up to experience. I am no power user as you can obviously tell. My mantra was/is CHANGE IS NOT GOOD unless absolutely necessary.

I do want to thank the forum again for all the help in not only this matter but past issues (some not MAC related). Shout out to btfc for extra credit in getting my wifes MBP up to snuff (at least as far as I can go without pushing the envelope).

I am happy using this old 2009 MBP as it has my last version of software for artistic purposes without paying a monthly fee.

Maybe I will make another stab at upgrading to the latest available software it can run (El Capitan) when I buy a new 1tb SSD, but by golly how many other machines can still be viable over a decade after their purchase? My first MAC was a pizza box with I think 8mb so I am tickled to be typing on this old unibody. Something I installed ram and an SSD in without screwing up.
It has and continues to be a great laptop. My wife's 2012 even more so.

So again, thanks for all the fish now and in the future! And a shout out to our OWC sponsers. MRF rules!
Date: August 28, 2020 06:19PM
make a bootable clone (CCC is great) before backup.

and get more RAM. As much as the machine takes.
Date: August 29, 2020 05:42AM
Yes, I have a CCC bootable clone. I will update the ram.
Date: August 29, 2020 07:37AM
Also I had issues updating a mac mini 2012 from Mavericks (10.9) to Catalina, it just didn't;t work. there are firmware updates that do not show up in older OS version, and I ended up going into smaller steps to upgrade the firmware along the way.

i do not recall the exact sequence, but I think you can increment 1-2 versions at a time, make sure you apply all firmware and security patches, then move anger 1-2 versions ahead. Once you arrive at your desired destination, you could nuke and pave and install a fresh copy since all required firmware patches are already installed.
Date: August 29, 2020 02:51PM
OK, here is a newb question. I have been to the Apple store. How do you know which is the correct update to install? I see dated security updates and ‘packages’. Just want to make sure I don’t screw it up. For example my wife’s MBP is High Sierra now, how can I be sure all updates are there?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020