advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wireless Router Question
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 27, 2020 09:24PM
I’m still kicking an Apple Airport wifi hotspot around in my house. How much have things advanced in wifi technology? It’s an AirPort Extreme 802.11ac. I don’t particularly want to replace it but will if I must. I need to be able to support two concurrent video conference streams for 2-4 hours everyday now.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wireless Router Question
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 27, 2020 09:33PM
It should be able to handle that unless experience proves otherwise.

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 27, 2020 09:33PM
ztirffritz
I’m still kicking an Apple Airport wifi hotspot around in my house. How much have things advanced in wifi technology? It’s an AirPort Extreme 802.11ac. I don’t particularly want to replace it but will if I must. I need to be able to support two concurrent video conference streams for 2-4 hours everyday now.

I am in the same boat. We moved from a townhouse (1450 sq ft) to a larger houses (3250 sq ft) and need better WiFi. I am looking into a mesh system.
Date: August 27, 2020 09:47PM
I’m pretty sure the problem is CharterSpectrum more than the wifi router but wanted to check. I suspect having 14k people in a small city suddenly swamp the regional network is a challenge.

Posted by: jdc
Date: August 27, 2020 09:51PM
ac should be more than fine. if it aint broke, dont fix it =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 27, 2020 10:14PM
I’m pretty sure the problem is CharterSpectrum more than the wifi router but wanted to check.

Yes, first order of business is to find where the bottleneck might be.

How's the router's coverage to where you are/will be?

A studly router won't do much for a 98lb weakling of an ISP.

Two 720 or 1080p streams should be fine.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 27, 2020 10:34PM
20% of the population of Yakima was streaming video online yesterday at the same time.

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 28, 2020 06:01AM
ztirffritz
20% of the population of Yakima was streaming video online yesterday at the same time.

where can you find stats like that?
Date: August 28, 2020 08:40AM
space-time
ztirffritz

where can you find stats like that?

The population of the city of Yakima is 94k. Yakima School District has 17,000 students, and about 1,000 staff (est). All of the students are online only until at least January.

17k/94k *100 = 18.08%

This shutdown is going to have some really far-reaching socio-economic impacts. The entire school population was provided laptops. Then the school district worked with CenturyLink and Charter/Spectrum to get them connected to internet access over the summer. Most of Yakima lives in poverty. The only internet access most have ever had was maybe a smartphone. Most of these students have only ever touched a computer at school. Their parents have never touched a computer. The households have multiple children over a wide age range. Most parents have 2 or more jobs. So now one or the other parent will have to stay home during school hours to provide child care. The Yakima School District has for years provided free breakfast and lunch to students because for many, that's the only food they get. Now the district is producing about 150k meals weekly for students that they pickup once each week. They've become a defacto social service.(https://apnews.com/cc0acde15d411ead9bb9854ac20d0af7)

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 28, 2020 09:36AM
space-time
ztirffritz

I am in the same boat. We moved from a townhouse (1450 sq ft) to a larger houses (3250 sq ft) and need better WiFi. I am looking into a mesh system.

Different boat. Your environment changed; Fritz’s didn’t.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 28, 2020 10:40AM
......Apple Extreme.....all the way.....!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Spiff
Date: August 28, 2020 02:26PM
space-time
ztirffritz

This has been reviewed elsewhere in the forum, but I really like my Orbi. Eero does the same thing. Both are a little pricey, but well worth the extra cash. My Orbi mesh system has been going for well over 1 year. The only problem I had was with power outages. And that was merely getting everything to sync up again (wifi modem, security system router, Orbi, Smart TV, Sonos, Arlo, two ethernet switches, 1 cable DVR). The mesh system handles it all well. It also helps that I have fiber optic 1000gbps.
Posted by: tenders
Date: August 28, 2020 02:55PM
Also very effective, and way less expensive:
TP-LINK AC1750 Router - mesh-compatible ($65)
[www.amazon.com]

TP-Link AC750 WiFi Extender - also mesh-compatible ($30), I'm running two of them
[www.amazon.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020