advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
you raise me up?!.....NJ ups gas tax because of low usage.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 29, 2020 10:33AM
.....gas tax up to 9.3 cent per gallon......because of less gas usage....

NJ Announces Gas Tax Hike of Nearly 10 Cents Per Gallon; Cites Lower Gas Use and COVID

New Jersey's Department of the Treasury announced a gas tax increase of 9.3 cents per gallon due to "lower fuel consumption trends, which have been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic."

Consumption of gasoline and diesel fuel continues to be low as people work from home and limit extracurricular activity due to the ongoing pandemic.

The tax on gasoline and diesel fuel will increase on Oct. 1 from 30.9 cents to 40.2 cents for gasoline and from 34.9 cents to 44.2 cents for diesel fuel.

.....New Jersey's Department of the Treasury announced a gas tax increase of 9.3 cents per gallon due to "lower fuel consumption trends, which have been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic." The increase will go into effect this fall.

According to the treasury department, consumption of gasoline fell by a total of 38.7 percent from March to May in the state. Diesel fuel consumption decreased by 16.5 percent. The need for gasoline and diesel fuel continues to be low as people work from home and limit extracurricular activity due to the ongoing pandemic.

The increase will ensure compliance with the 2016 law that requires a steady stream of revenue to support the state’s Transportation Trust Fund (TTF) program, the state said Friday.

Under the 2016 law signed by former Gov. Chris Christie, New Jersey’s TTF program is required to provide $16 billion over eight years to support infrastructure improvements to the state’s roadways and bridges. As a means of guaranteeing that the state has the necessary funds to support these projects, the law outlines that the Petroleum Products Gross Receipt (PPGR) tax rate must be adjusted accordingly to generate about $2 billion annually.

Because of the formula outlined in the law, the PPGR tax on gasoline and diesel fuel will increase on Oct. 1 from 30.9 cents to 40.2 cents for gasoline and from 34.9 cents to 44.2 cents for diesel fuel. When coupled with the current 10.5 cent Motor Fuels Tax rate on gasoline and the 13.5 cent rate for diesel fuel, the total tax rates for gasoline and diesel fuel will be 50.7 cents and 57.7 cents, respectively.

“As we’ve noted before, any changes in the gas tax rate are dictated by several factors that are beyond the control of the administration,” State Treasurer Elizabeth Maher Muoio said in a statement. “The law enacted in 2016 contains a specific formula to ensure that revenue is meeting a certain target. When it does not, the gas tax rate has to be adjusted accordingly in order for us to meet our obligation under the law and fully fund the state’s many pressing transportation infrastructure needs. Highway fuels consumption took a significant hit in FY 2020 because of the economic downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.”

higher......prices.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 10:42AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: you raise me up?!.....NJ ups gas tax because of low usage...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 29, 2020 10:43AM
My state charged me $280 with my vehicle registration renewal as a penalty for having a fuel-efficient vehicle.

This country is broken.

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 29, 2020 11:04AM
Sarcany
My state charged me $280 with my vehicle registration renewal as a penalty for having a fuel-efficient vehicle.

This country is broken.

In other countries it is the opposite, they give incentives to scrap older cards that have poor fuel efficiency and also pollute.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 29, 2020 11:27AM
space-time
Sarcany

This country is broken.

In other countries it is the opposite, they give incentives to scrap older cards that have poor fuel efficiency and also pollute.

California is one of those other countries. In the Bay area they had been paying $1000 to scrap older cars, but it looks like it's $1200 now. It's for 1997 and older cars at present. There are other programs where they'll pay $1500 if your income qualifies.

[www.baaqmd.gov]

And there are additional programs for low income families to trade in older cars for newer hybrid or electric vehicles.

[www.baaqmd.gov]
Re: you raise me up?!.....NJ ups gas tax because of low usage.....
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 29, 2020 11:42AM
Not just NorCal it's statewide and has been for decades. There was a time when the "retirement" fee exceeded the value of some old junkers. Today you couldn't buy a used Razer for $1500.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 29, 2020 11:57AM
California is one of those other countries.
Explains part of their Half-Trillion Dollar Debt [usdebtclock.org]

btw, Maryland's fuel tax gets raised every year automatically. It was buried
in a bill passed many, many years ago. Along with automatic pay raises for politicians!
It would take passing a new bill, signed by the guv to undo either!

This country is broken. On this we agree. angry villagers smiley

edit: fixed that debt typo, sorry guys.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 12:22PM by MrNoBody.
Date: August 29, 2020 12:08PM
RgrF
Not just NorCal it's statewide and has been for decades. There was a time when the "retirement" fee exceeded the value of some old junkers. Today you couldn't buy a used Razer for $1500.

The programs seem to vary a bit from area to area and they're controlled by the ARB for the local area. So I was just giving the Bay Area program details since they might not be exactly the same in other parts of the state.
Date: August 29, 2020 12:14PM
MrNoBody
Explains part of their Three Trillion Dollar Debt [usdebtclock.org]

I think you were looking at the GDP for CA not the debt (which that site shows at around $558 Billion).
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 29, 2020 12:18PM
MrNoBody
Explains part of their Three Trillion Dollar Debt [usdebtclock.org]

Hmm? I see 558 debt for California there. [GGD beat me to it!]

And a quick sampling shows lots of debt all around the States, with several at higher ratios to population or GDP than CA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 12:19PM by Acer.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 29, 2020 12:25PM
Sarcany

This country is broken.

They should replace the fuel tax with a 5% Federal Auto tax (think of it as 1% for 5 years)! I would add a surcharge/discount for mileage as well...
But I'm not king.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 29, 2020 12:29PM
Sarcany

This country is broken.

I guess that depends on how your state budget works and how that tax is allocated. If the gas tax in your state funds road infrastructure projects then it makes perfect sense. By driving a fuel efficient car you are not contributing your part as you are still driving your car on all the roads, but not paying the gas tax that pays for them. The budget was likely based on an average number of miles driven per person and an average gas mileage. To offset your car being well above average on gas mileage they determined what you would have should have paid and made an adjustment to your registration renewal.

Gas tax isn't levied to promote environmentalism, it is levied to pay for the roads which you do still use.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 29, 2020 12:42PM
In my experience many taxes are hidden or lied about, since no one wants to be taxed. Become transparent about the true costs for some things and you get outrage and distrust about all the non-sequitur ways and all the times the funds were previously misused. Thank you, fearful voter?

In that, sense it's all working as designed.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 29, 2020 01:12PM
C(-)ris
Sarcany

This country is broken.

I guess that depends on how your state budget works and how that tax is allocated. If the gas tax in your state funds road infrastructure projects then it makes perfect sense. By driving a fuel efficient car you are not contributing your part as you are still driving your car on all the roads, but not paying the gas tax that pays for them. The budget was likely based on an average number of miles driven per person and an average gas mileage. To offset your car being well above average on gas mileage they determined what you would have should have paid and made an adjustment to your registration renewal.

Gas tax isn't levied to promote environmentalism, it is levied to pay for the roads which you do still use.

Passenger vehicles, whether EVs or conventional gasoline-powered ICEVs aren't the reason for road wear & tear...it's the large, commercial vehicles.

So any "road tax" should be charged by weight, not per-gallon fuel consumption.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 29, 2020 01:43PM
Bill in NC

Passenger vehicles, whether EVs or conventional gasoline-powered ICEVs aren't the reason for road wear & tear...it's the large, commercial vehicles.

Remember when we used to see signs on the back of tractor trailers that said something like, "This vehicle pays $5,000 in highway taxes per year." as we drove around? Those seem to have disappeared. I remember reading somewhere way back when that they may pay $5,000 a year in taxes but they cause $10,000 a year in damage (I'm just making these numbers up...). But, it's very clear when we drive on interstates that the right lanes are typically in worse condition than are the left lanes.
Date: August 29, 2020 01:58PM
Michael
But, it's very clear when we drive on interstates that the right lanes are typically in worse condition than are the left lanes.

Even clearer when the shoulder is in better condition than both lanes. I remember this years ago on a section of I-90 heading from Erie PA to the NY State line. Seemed like PA didn't give priority to maintaining a section of road only used by people leaving the state.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 29, 2020 02:12PM
Tangential to the topic, but the remedy to some of this craziness is to use rail more than asphalt when it comes to shipping goods across the country.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 29, 2020 02:16PM
For the most part rail-beds are in worse shape than roadbeds. The last Amtrak wreck we had around here came from an engineer taking what was built as a 35mph curve at 25mph when the speed limit on that curve had been dropped to 15.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 02:19PM by RgrF.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 29, 2020 02:48PM
C(-)ris
Sarcany

This country is broken.

That's only partially true. There have been presidential candidates proposing up to 50 cents/gallon to promote the move to more efficient transport.

The oil industry still receives plenty of government subsidies. I'm ok with the idea of rewarding more fuel efficient cars, so long as oil and gas receive support.
Date: August 29, 2020 03:37PM
Me? I'm awaiting the day when some state/local government bureaucracy is mandated to
regulate bicyclists, their equipment, liability, and use on public ways.
(you'll hear "it's for the children" and "it will help fund <pick-a-cause>")
I can only imagine the regulations, taxes, and fees that will ensue.

Let the protests begin angry villagers smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 29, 2020 03:38PM
I agree with Bill in NC, it should be weight-based. As a retired truck driver, I felt through the suspension how my truck damaged the roads. Trucks pay far less in taxes than they should. There are a couple of ton-mike states that charge by miles and weight - sort of. Wyoming is one.

Drive on a heavily traveled road that does not allow commercial vehicles/trucks to feel the difference. If the road was built to carry trucks but doesn’t, the difference is quite noticeable.

My state charges trucks by maximum laden weight. There is a small decal you apply to the truck’s plate for its weight class which is easily seen by law enforcement who can weigh the truck. The fine for failure to have a high enough registered weight is spendy plus you must also pay the additional registration tax for the weight.

My state charges $75 annually for an EV but does not charge any additional fee for hybrid or PHEVs yet:

[www.twincities.com]

With my two PHEVs I pay the same as a gas car annually for my registration. But I rarely buy gas so I am a freeloader. To take full advantage of a supermarket discount of about 85¢/gal this month, I filled my car and two empty gas cans I use for my riding mower and still couldn’t squeeze in the full 15 gallons allowed for the discount. My prior gas purchase in my state was in December (we were gone all winter and paid the gas tax to other places).

My wife last filled her Volt in 2019. She gets irritated when the Volt’s computer forces the car to run the engine to burn off one tank full each year which is a bit over nine gallons.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 03:40PM by Speedy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 29, 2020 04:38PM
"This vehicle pays $5,000 in highway taxes per year." as we drove around? Those seem to have disappeared. I remember reading somewhere way back when that they may pay $5,000 a year in taxes but they cause $10,000 a year in damage (I'm just making these numbers up...)

As do most detractors who blame commercial vehicles and feel passenger cars, truck, and minivans play no part in road damage, as seen in the imaginary pristine 1,2,3, and 4 lanes reserved for non-semi truck traffic.

Commercial vehicles still pay the biggest part of road taxes.

As this isn't a political thread on the wrong side, I won't address the diversion of gas taxes and commercial vehicle fees being diverted to other 'more important' projects.

Not to mention those commercial vehicles are still stuck in those inferior two lanes their road taxes pay to maintain.

(In CA they're restricted to the right lane with only the next lane on the left to be used for passing other vehicles.)

Explains part of their Half-Trillion Dollar Debt

Not to worry.

Even if that were true, CA is busy making it up on passenger vehicle registrations.

I'm paying almost as much on my 2020 registration as I did on it when new in 2002.

I don't now what CA residents pay on eVs, but I fully expect that to get much worse in the future, especially if eVs really become a thing.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 29, 2020 06:24PM
Maybe they can use their noodles and start building roads out of materials that don't get destroyed in a few months to a year by regular traffic. But that would decimate the construction industry...
Date: August 29, 2020 07:53PM

As do most detractors who blame commercial vehicles and feel passenger cars, truck, and minivans play no part in road damage, as seen in the imaginary pristine 1,2,3, and 4 lanes reserved for non-semi truck traffic.

There is no comparison between an 80,000 pound truck and a 5,000 pound vehicle as far as road damage. Those non-truck lanes fall apart because of poor road building.

Date: August 29, 2020 07:54PM
fauch
Maybe they can use their noodles and start building roads out of materials that don't get destroyed in a few months to a year by regular traffic. But that would decimate the construction industry...

This ^

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 29, 2020 09:20PM
Bill in NC

there is a good correlation between weight and fuel consumption. While not perfect, taxing per gallon versus weight x miles is more practical. and it should also encourage more fuel efficient vehicles.

My proposal: have a flat tax that everyone pays, and then tax the fuel.

Eventually when most cars will be EV, you would need to increase the flat tax and then look into taking by weight.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 29, 2020 09:24PM
.....let's just....weight....and see.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 29, 2020 10:54PM
fauch

I agree wholeheartedly, but the budgets for municipalities cannot support such improved road building techniques. For a whole variety of reasons, of course, but mostly that we have built more infrastructure than we can maintain.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 29, 2020 11:09PM
Gotta love a place where the size of the average vehicle increases but EVs are looked at as freeloaders.

Date: August 30, 2020 05:18AM
fauch
Maybe they can use their noodles and start building roads out of materials that don't get destroyed
in a few months to a year by regular traffic. But that would decimate the construction industry...
I don't believe it's the materials, it's awarding contracts to 'contractors' lacking
the technical expertise required and specs that get modified to match budgets.
If the specs call for 4-inch 3k-PSI concrete slabs of a certain dimension, expansion
joint requirements, and a rebar layout w/ required sizes; you just can't "adjust"
those items willy-nilly to save money. Try that crap building a commercial runway
and you'll end up in prison!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Date: August 30, 2020 09:31AM
Minneapolis puts down concrete on residential streets, then covers it right away with asphalt pavement. They mill the asphalt as needed and repave. The millings go to the city’s hot mix plant for reuse. Works great! Germany builds great roads that last a long time. It can be done if there is a will.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 30, 2020 10:40PM
Speedy
Minneapolis puts down concrete on residential streets, then covers it right away with asphalt pavement. They mill the asphalt as needed and repave. The millings go to the city’s hot mix plant for reuse. Works great! Germany builds great roads that last a long time. It can be done if there is a will.

It can be done if there is a will and a bunch of money. Penny wise and pound foolish most local governments are. Nobody wants to take the hit for a massively expensive infrastructure redo.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 30, 2020 11:14PM
C(-)ris
It can be done if there is a will and a bunch of money. Penny wise and pound foolish most local governments are. Nobody wants to take the hit for a massively expensive infrastructure redo.

NJ has the right idea, upping the gas tax. It's not a long-term solution, but it will bring in needed revenue while spurring the purchase of fuel-efficient vehicles.

Taxing me for helping to save lives while letting polluters off is insane.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020