advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
United is eliminating ticket change fees for good.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 30, 2020 05:02PM
Given the way the airline industry has worked in the past, this will probably trigger their competitors to do the same, although Southwest never had change fees.

And the fees have been mostly gone this year as the airlines have kept extending how long there would be no change fees on new purchases.

But one thing with United's announcement is that it's unlimited changes, I think many of these temporary no-fee exemptions were for just one change.

[www.cnn.com]

United Airlines is getting rid of most US change fees -- forever

New York (CNN Business)Good news about airlines has been hard to come by over the past several months, but United Airlines just came up with something that is bound to put a smile on most travelers' faces: It is eliminating change fees on economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the United States -- for good.

The company announced Sunday that it will begin offering free same-day standby and flight changes to flyers starting in January 2021. For customers with tickets issued before December 31, United will extend a waiver, allowing travelers to change their flights an unlimited number of times for free. So, essentially, change fees are officially a thing of the past on United (UAL).

The new policy comes as the coronavirus pandemic has decimated air travel. Although travel has rebounded somewhat, it remains a fraction of what it was before the outbreak. Airlines, eager for customers, extended waivers to change fees as uncertain travelers wished to move their flights to avoid contagion.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: United is eliminating ticket change fees for good.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 30, 2020 06:14PM
Good news. Waived fees are a big reason why I've mostly flown Southwest the last several years. Well, that and Delta being such a PITA to deal with in general...
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 30, 2020 09:42PM
Maybe I'll fly again someday and need such newfangled policies!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 30, 2020 10:36PM
sekker
Maybe I'll fly again someday and need such newfangled policies!

I have a $325 credit with Delta that I probably won't ever use. I finally heard back 2 MONTHS after my flight was changed that they would not refund the ticket price despite the fact that they moved my origination portion of a connecting flight to a day later than the connection and didn't reschedule the connecting flight. Didn't seem to cross their mind that it would be impossible to complete the trip. They said it was within their rights to make any itinerary changes and the most I could get was a credit towards a future flight.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 01, 2020 04:37AM
Delta and American are dropping their $200 change fee EXCEPT for basic economy fares. That leaves me out.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 01, 2020 10:57AM
.....and I believe only for domestic flights [ I could be wrong ].....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 01, 2020 11:16AM
NewtonMP2100
.....and I believe only for domestic flights [ I could be wrong ].....

You're right, exceptions are for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2020 11:16AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: dk62
Date: September 01, 2020 12:42PM
Those are sort of domestic.

I do not understand love for basic economy, I think it is vile. And it never allowed any changes, with or without fees anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020