advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need a new fridge
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 31, 2020 09:54PM
I hate the idea of searching for a fridge to match the space where the current one is, I guess I could get one about 1/4-1/4 smaller but not much more than that since having empty spaces between cabinets and fridge would look weird, I would lose capacity, etc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need a new fridge
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 31, 2020 09:58PM
.....the news just said that there is a bit of shortage in appliances, so there will be less 'Labor Day' sales due to limited inventory......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2020 10:09PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 31, 2020 10:00PM
I saw that, many models at Costco are out of stock sad smiley
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 31, 2020 10:02PM
Love my LG French Door!
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 31, 2020 10:27PM
What triggered this? I thought you resolved the leak issue.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 31, 2020 10:29PM
You're the refrigerator repair man here. We looked to you for our fridge repair needs. Now, with a new fridge it will not be the same.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 31, 2020 10:48PM
Pandemic prices for fridges, and other stuff.....
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 31, 2020 11:03PM
Make it exciting - get one with a touch screen!

Date: August 31, 2020 11:04PM
Nevermind, wait for Apple to come out with iFridge.

Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 31, 2020 11:44PM
The refrigerator repairman we had out a few months ago said to stay away from LG and Samsung. He said Frigidaire and Whirlpool were the least he'd seen. But this is merely hearsay evidence.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 01, 2020 12:48AM
MikeF
The refrigerator repairman we had out a few months ago said to stay away from LG and Samsung. He said Frigidaire and Whirlpool were the least he'd seen. But this is merely hearsay evidence.

Our guy said the same. All of the "returns" they picked up were LG and Samsung.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 01, 2020 04:07AM
Samsung has rurned to junk - avoid.

If I had to buy now, I'd be looking at Whirlpool

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: September 01, 2020 05:40AM
I'm starting to shop for a new stove and a refrigerator. I'm looking at Whirlpools, GE, Fridgiaire and Maytag. We like side by side (well, I like French Doors but the wife doesn't so she wins). But, didn't see that many 'good deals' for labor day so just "holding off" for black friday at this time.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 01, 2020 07:36AM
MikeF

As I've said before, I've had the same info. I would only shop Whirlpool or Whirlpool badged by others appliances.
I would also look at Electrolux. They still have a fairly good rep.
I wouldn't buy anything with the LG badge and only SSD from Samsung.
The number of friends that have bought LG or Samsung in the last few years that are unhappy now, is amazing.
GE appliances are now made by Haier. Good luck. GE f'd up F&P when they bought them and now pass that distinction to Haier. Haier makes toasters.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Date: September 01, 2020 08:42AM
....a new one to keep the family jewels nice and cold.....???

Posted by: Buck
Date: September 01, 2020 09:19AM
Buy from a shop that also repairs. We had most repair people say "We don't fix Samsung and LG. They're a pain in the a.."

It was a huge deal getting the Samsung fridge fixed. It was icing up and created a glacier inside against the back wall.

I would get a Whirlpool.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 01, 2020 09:19AM
Avoid Samsung washers and dryers as well. Their dryers have an issue with the lint tray assembly. After a year or so, the tray sits proud of the frame and tends to catch clothes. At the least, it tangles them, at the worst it damages them. Replacement parts cost about $50 and take about 15 minutes to replace. Best I can tell is that it's a materials issue with thermal creep.

Prior to the Samsung dryer, I had an LG dryer for 24 hrs. Took it back because it didn't work out of the box. Store person told me that they had a lot of LG dryers returned due to issues.

I've had several issues with the washer. All of which I've repaired myself. If I wasn't handy, the washer would have been gone a long time ago. One of the problems is that the liquid detergent tray can jam the tray shut if there is an unbalanced load. To remedy, you need to take the top off, pry the tray housing open and push the tray down. A simple design change would fix this.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 01, 2020 09:20AM
Repair guy said the same about LG Samsung

We went with Whirlpool @ Lowes
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 01, 2020 09:26AM
The last fridge I got was a Samsung, based on reviews and recommendations, and I don't really like it one bit.

Note: this is a counter-depth (due to my kitchen's stupid layout) French door style.

Door is a fingerprint trap and is not easy to clean. Doors are also not receptive to magnets.

Shelf placement is odd and not "infinite" in how you can adjust like fridges I've had in the past. You get two possible placements for each shelf and they're not ideal.

And as is the case with so many refrigerators, the ice maker stopped working after a number of years (to be fair, we've had it a very long time).

It works as a refrigerator and as a freezer, but it's UI is lacking. I won't be buying a Samsung fridge next time.

[ADDED] No complaints on my Samsung washer, which -- after changing out the shocks on it a few months ago -- is working like a champ. (One of the shocks went bad, the repair was easy and relatively cheap, as I did it myself.)

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2020 09:29AM by Zoidberg.
Date: September 01, 2020 09:32AM
.....Samsung is rubbish....

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 01, 2020 09:39AM
FWIW, bought an LG front-loading washer and matching dryer 7 years ago. Occasional overload error message, but no other problems. Knock wood!
Posted by: rz
Date: September 01, 2020 09:41AM
Things must have changed... about 10 years ago, we had a rental condo with a home warranty. When the AC died, a guy came out to replace it and we were talking about different appliance brands. He said the brand they replaced the most was Whirlpool.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 01, 2020 09:51AM
I just bought an LG profile last year. Has had one fan replaced, but otherwise we really love it. We got the 28 cubic foot capacity. We have three little ones.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: September 01, 2020 11:19AM
Add me to the 'stay away from Samsung' crowd. We have both a Samsung refrigerator and a washer-dryer pair which we are having problems with. The refrigerator leaks because ice builds up, and this is a known issue related to the auto-defrost. The heating sensor is too short, so it doesn't melt the accumulating ice. Then the washing machine WILL NOT do cold wash. Every time I open the machine to get clean clothes out, I have a steam bath. The dryer is weakening, and the only way to get a low drying temp is to put it on a manual time period. All automatic settings have just hot or medium. I can't select low or eco medium. It's frustrating.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: September 01, 2020 01:02PM
I'm uncertain about the comments about washers here when the OP is buying a fridge. LG makes well reviewed and popular washers and driers. Is it more buyers / more complaints or is quality dropping? Discussion for another thread.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 01, 2020 01:21PM
You're the refrigerator repair man here. We looked to you for our fridge repair needs. Now, with a new fridge it will not be the same.

Not to worry,

With today's appliances, it won't be long 'till he's back on the Repair Trail.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 01, 2020 01:25PM
Fritz
GE appliances are now made by Haier. Good luck. GE f'd up F&P when they bought them and now pass that distinction to Haier. Haier makes toasters.

Even before GE sold off the appliance division to Haier the quality was long gone. Haven't been able to recommend GE appliances for over 2 decades, and I come from a family that used to buy many from GE. Father worked for GE in another division until he retired in the late '90's, he even stopped buying GE appliances years before that.
Date: September 01, 2020 01:32PM
.....so don't bring you a Haier.......love......???

Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 01, 2020 03:09PM
Regardless of brand, the French doors/freezer drawer underneath configuration has worked really slick for us.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020