advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SCIENCE! Mohenjo-Daro and Bust: Climate change led to fall of Indus civilization
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 03, 2020 09:37PM
for a larger chart right click 'view image'

BP means before present

There are several theories about why the Indus Valley Civilization declined—including invasion by nomadic Indo-A-ryans and earthquakes—but climate change appears to be the most likely scenario. But until Malik applied his hybrid approach—rooted in dynamical systems but also draws on methods from the fields of machine learning and information theory—there was no mathematical proof. His analysis showed there was a major shift in monsoon patterns just before the dawn of this civilization and that the pattern reversed course right before it declined, indicating it was in fact climate change that caused the fall.

A Rochester Institute of Technology researcher developed a mathematical method that shows climate change likely caused the rise and fall of an ancient civilization. In an article recently featured in the journal Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science, Nishant Malik, assistant professor in RIT's School of Mathematical Sciences, outlined the new technique he developed and showed how shifting monsoon patterns led to the demise of the Indus Valley Civilization, a Bronze Age civilization contemporary to Mesopotamia and ancient Egypt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2020 09:41PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SCIENCE! Mohenjo-Daro and Bust: Climate change led to fall of Indus civilization
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 03, 2020 10:15PM
My money is on bad curry.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: SCIENCE! Mohenjo-Daro and Bust: Climate change led to fall of Indus civilization
Posted by: DP
Date: September 04, 2020 10:02AM
Same thing happened to the ancient Egyptians. I saw a story how North Africa was a lot greener at the time but eventually changed to desert. The story also said it would return to green in about 5,000 years.

Precession of the Earth's poles and our orbit changing back and forth over time; we'll have another Ice Age in about 10,000 years...

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 04, 2020 10:52AM
An interesting book on the topic of societal collapse: [en.m.wikipedia.org]

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 04, 2020 04:43PM
DP
Same thing happened to the ancient Egyptians. I saw a story how North Africa was a lot greener at the time but eventually changed to desert. The story also said it would return to green in about 5,000 years.

Precession of the Earth's poles and our orbit changing back and forth over time; we'll have another Ice Age in about 10,000 years...

Yes, this week s the Sahara Pump as I recall it. Goes through these cycles of greening and desertification, one of which allowed our ancestors to leave Africa 70,000 years or so ago.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 04, 2020 05:15PM
Speedy
My money is on bad curry.

Climate change in the bedroom, at least.

Or would that be weather? As in, “I wonder weather I’ll be sleeping on the couch tonight.”
Posted by: wowzer
Date: September 04, 2020 09:42PM
DP

Which is exactly why we need to pump up CO2 levels. It will prevent ice ages from happening ever again. Remember that ice ball earth occurred several times in earth's past---but never with higher CO2 levels. Just saying...

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020