advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I configure a new iPhone for mom, but port the number after I give it to her?
Posted by: stephen
Date: September 04, 2020 10:01AM
My mother’s birthday is this weekend, and I like the idea of giving her an iPhone SE. However I would really like to save her the struggles of not being able to log into Facebook and her favorite apps. My thought is to buy the phone and sync it with her iCloud, download all the apps and log into them. but not move her prepaid Verizon phone number until I am physically at her house. Is this doable?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 10:01AM by stephen.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I configure a new iPhone for mom, but port the number after I give it to her?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 04, 2020 10:08AM
I generally think of "porting the number" as moving the number from one carrier to another.

What you're looking to do is set up the iPhone without a SIM card. But you'll run into activation issues. I think what you'll need to do is use your SIM card to get through the initial setup process, but I would avoid logging into iCloud with your SIM card in the phone. Once you're done with the initial setup, you can remove your SIM card and then setup the rest of the phone so it'll be ready for your Mom's Verizon SIM card.
Re: Can I configure a new iPhone for mom, but port the number after I give it to her?
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 04, 2020 10:09AM
Yes, use wifi.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 04, 2020 10:11AM
Also, does your mother's iCloud have 2 factor authorization enabled? And do you have a way to get the code and/or an explanation for needing the code? Noting that she will also receive an alert on her phone when you log into the new phone. Just in case you're trying to keep this as a surprise.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 04, 2020 10:21AM
Probably better to wait till you have access to both phones and do it at her house

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 04, 2020 10:51AM
Apple has got you covered. If she already has an iPhone, moving to a new one is about the simplest thing ever.

No passwords, no wifi setup, no apps to reinstall or re-log into. You literally just hold the new iphone next to old iphone and go...

Assuming she has little in terms of data the transfer shouldnt take very long at all, maybe 10 minutes -- and it will be like shes never left.

[support.apple.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 10:52AM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 04, 2020 12:09PM
.....Mother.....may I......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 04, 2020 01:35PM
What rgG said & what jdc explained.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 01:36PM by Carm.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 04, 2020 02:43PM
jdc
No passwords...

I seem to remember having to enter passwords for all my Email accounts.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 04, 2020 04:36PM
Back up to iTunes once you have her old phone. Restore to the new phone. Surprise her by calling on Mothers Day.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 04, 2020 10:37PM
Speedy
Back up to iTunes once you have her old phone. Restore to the new phone. Surprise her by calling on Mothers Day.

I like everything about that... except for the backup to iTunes part.

Its a mess. You need the right OS, the right iOS and the right iTunes for it to work. 33% chance of failure ;)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: stephen
Date: September 05, 2020 02:36PM
Thanks for your tips.

I’ve decided to wait a month or two, when the family isn’t together. We have other gifts for her and I’d rather focus this weekend on quality time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020