advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The strange circle of (ebay) life
Posted by: hal
Date: September 06, 2020 03:54PM
I buy used macs, beef them up, then resell them on ebay.

I was looking for something to buy today and found a mac in a configuration very much like something I would do. The seller said that he bought it used to learn mac programming (he's a PC guy), but never really got the project off the ground and says that it's been mostly unused since he bought it a couple of years ago.

Just out of curiosity, I ran a search of the serial number...

I was the guy that sold him that computer a couple of years ago.

I just to push the weirdness of it all, I set up an autosnipe and ended up as high bidder.

Now I'll just restore it and sell it again for some more profit.

I sometimes wonder how often some of these macs get sold and resold. Like that unrepairable mac that kinds looks like it might be repairable. I bet some of those get sold over and over again...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The strange circle of (ebay) life
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 06, 2020 04:56PM
Interesting! You’ll have to tell him.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 06, 2020 07:34PM
hal

I was looking for something to buy today and found a mac in a configuration very much like something I would do. The seller said that he bought it used to learn mac programming (he's a PC guy), but never really got the project off the ground and says that it's been mostly unused since he bought it a couple of years ago.

I just to push the weirdness of it all, I set up an autosnipe and ended up as high bidder.

I sometimes wonder how often some of these macs get sold and resold. Like that unrepairable mac that kinds looks like it might be repairable. I bet some of those get sold over and over again...

I had that happen all the time. Not so much on ebay but on LEMswap. There were some machines I owned at least 3 times. Sometimes I took them back as trade ins on different ones, sometimes the buyer just listed them again.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 06, 2020 07:44PM
There are a couple of different electronics items I buy on eBay brand new for $20-$30, which I turn around and sell on Amazon brand new for $150-$200. Every now and then the same unit I sold on Amazon becomes available on eBay again for the same low price (I discover this only after I receive the eBay purchase). Rinse and repeat.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 06, 2020 08:27PM
hal

Hal that's cool! Have you been forced to Managed Payments yet like my wife has?

Grateful11
Posted by: hal
Date: September 06, 2020 09:02PM
Grateful11

yes... railroaded into it. It pisses me off that they went through with this NOW while telephone support is hard to find. I have questions not covered by the docs they are pointing me to.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 07, 2020 01:26AM
Hal and Carnos, that's pretty funny. Or cool. Both, I guess.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 07, 2020 10:06AM
hal
Grateful11

yes... railroaded into it. It pisses me off that they went through with this NOW while telephone support is hard to find. I have questions not covered by the docs they are pointing me to.

My wife has had to go online and request that they call her about 3 times in the last week and it usually take 30-60 minutes for they to call. The whole process has been a real hassle. They tried to get her to sign up for it a year ago. I feel sure it's just a way for them to get interest off your money. She set hers to go into an account weekly. Her sales have fallen dramatically since the extra unemployment money ran out.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020