advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone using Mint Mobile?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 10, 2020 10:55AM
they're advertising $30/month for unlimited which is tempting, but service is flagged as poor in my area per their website, so probably not an option for me.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone using Mint Mobile?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 10, 2020 11:06AM
What I read is that $30 unlimited package has to be bought for a year in advance to get that rate (all of their plans require 1 year up front commitments to get the best pricing, after a 3-month intro period) and that it's 35GB before being throttled (and 5GB of hotspot data). And you get throttled to 2G speeds, like 64Kbps.

I'm on a 3-month "trial" plan with Mint now (trial for me while I figure out where I want to go next). It runs on T-Mobile's network so coverage will depend on that. In my house, the "LTE" speeds are only 500Kbps, but then again, Verizon seems to max out at 10Mbps in the house also. I wondered if Mint's speeds were limited, but when I was out and about I did another speed test and got 60Mbps, so it appears it will take full advantage of T-Mobile's network and speeds when able to.

Another one to look into is FreeMii which advertises "free" unlimited service for a one time membership fee ($149). But there are some gotcha's with that service. i.e. apparently there's a $25 fee to swap the SIM to a new device. So it occurred to me, that it might cost $50 just to send a phone in for repairs and use a back-up device (as I'm about to send my iPhone in next week). But I haven't looked very deep into this service.
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 10, 2020 11:36AM
More on Freemii [www.reddit.com]

I've been using Tello (on Sprint) for months. Great plans.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 10, 2020 11:57AM
Been using Spectrum Mobile since last Nov. Three lines are $42/month total.
It won't work for everyone but it's saving us about $100/month over Verizon.
Haven't gone over a gig a month on any line yet.

Grateful11
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 10, 2020 12:21PM
I'm on Xfinity Mobile which has Verizon access. I analyzed my usage and realized i really didn't need their unlimited plan which is $45. I'm on the by the Gig plan which is $12 per. most months i've paid $14.12 with taxes. a few months it was $25 or so. i'm about to take a road trip. if i find i'm using data a lot i can easily switch to the unlimited plan for the month and then switch back.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 10, 2020 12:30PM
You've got to give them credit. Ryan Reynolds got Rick Moranis out of retirment to be in a Mint commercial.

Posted by: d4
Date: September 10, 2020 02:46PM
ztirffritz
...but service is flagged as poor in my area per their website, so probably not an option for me.

What is the preferred cell provider in your area with best coverage?

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 10, 2020 03:49PM
AT&T most likely.

d4
ztirffritz
...but service is flagged as poor in my area per their website, so probably not an option for me.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 10, 2020 05:02PM
ztirffritz
AT&T most likely.

d4
ztirffritz

If AT&T towers work well for you, I recommend you check out PureTalk USA (yes, it's a referral link, but I'd recommend them anyway). Just got notice of my upcoming month's bill of $20.xx. Unlimited talk and text, and while the price hasn't gone up since I've been with them, the data allowance has. Started at 400MB/mo., went to 500MB shortly thereafter, then 1GB/mo, and as of a couple of months ago went to 2GB/mo. I've yet to go over 500MB, so it works great for me.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 10, 2020 06:03PM
wurm
ztirffritz
AT&T most likely.

d4
ztirffritz

If AT&T towers work well for you, I recommend you check out PureTalk USA (yes, it's a referral link, but I'd recommend them anyway). Just got notice of my upcoming month's bill of $20.xx. Unlimited talk and text, and while the price hasn't gone up since I've been with them, the data allowance has. Started at 400MB/mo., went to 500MB shortly thereafter, then 1GB/mo, and as of a couple of months ago went to 2GB/mo. I've yet to go over 500MB, so it works great for me.

I would recommend the OP to go with a more well known MVNO (using ATT) like Cricket or Tracfone. The reason being, Target sells prepaid phone cards to the major MVNOs. Target constantly has sales on the prepaid cards. Email delivery. Maybe every 4-5 months they run a promo. ie, Buy one, Get one 20% off, or 15%, etc. Tack on a Target RedCard to get an additional 5% off on top of that. I'm on Total Wireless (Verizon). When Target runs a good promo, I load up with 6 months worth of prepaid cards. I don't see PureTalk USA prepaid cards at Target.

Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: September 11, 2020 10:22AM
Not to hijack this thread but T-Mobile has two inexpensive plans although I'm not sure if your area is acceptable for coverage:

$15/month, you get unlimited talk and text, plus up to 2GB of high-speed data.

For $25/month, you get unlimited talk and text, and up to 5GB of high-speed data.

[prepaid.t-mobile.com]

D & C
Posted by: DavidS
Date: September 11, 2020 12:02PM
I used Mint Mobile for 15 months (3 month trial plus 12 month annual plan) for my son. It worked well for him and got him 15GB data per month at $25/month. Quality was fine but we have 2 towers a quarter mile in each direction from our house.

No problem unlocking his iPhone at the time from AT&T. I migrated him onto our Sprint Unlimited Family plan after his 12 months were over and now pay $15/month for him to be unlimited with us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020