advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Social Security online is a PITA
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 10, 2020 02:29PM
I need to change my mom's mailing address but have no idea what the password is. I use the forgot password function and it asks the usual inane questions that I don't know. It also only allows three tries before a 24-hr lockout. So I click on send reset code - except it will only snail mail the info TO HER OLD ADDRESS (in a non-forwarding envelope, of course).

Tried the phone line - they won't talk to me, but mom can't understand them and hands the phone back to me who they won't talk too). the nearest office is 60 miles and apparently is still closed anyway.

I'm tempted to say screw it. Her direct deposit works, she doesn't file taxes, I have no clue what she would need from them. i understand security but arghhh.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 02:29PM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Social Security online is a PITA
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 10, 2020 02:52PM
I had that phone thing a long time ago. We each got on an extension and I relayed the questions to the other party while the rep listened. It was absurd.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 10, 2020 03:06PM
If the office reopens, I would go there. When I signed up for SS and Medicare, they were great.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 10, 2020 03:54PM
Sometimes people will allow me to speak for my mom, if they ask her if it is ok and she says yes.
Is there a language barrier or your mom is hard of hearing, as to why she isn’t understanding them?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 10, 2020 04:05PM
Hmmm. Anybody around who might sound like an elderly lady who can tell them it's ok to talk with you?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 10, 2020 04:35PM
agree smiley

Last week I had an issue not being able to log in to my account. When I called the nice lady said i didn't have an account, even though I know I did!

However on her advice, I went back and signed up again, and it did work.

The questions they ask to verify your identity are based on credit report data. You identify things like addresses you have used, banks you have had loans with or phone numbers you have used. There is always a choice for "none of these". As it turned out, I used that choice for 3 of 6 questions, as did my wife. I found my self doubting myself, as I know my mortgages were sold several times over in the early 2000's.

We both got through the process and ordered new SS cards...so now we can for thought the process of getting California Real IDs when they arrive.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 10, 2020 05:38PM
Dennis S
If the office reopens, I would go there. When I signed up for SS and Medicare, they were great.

At our local SS office the wait can be hours. They are helpful once it’s your turn.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 05:38PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 10, 2020 06:15PM
I’m sure you have tried this, but if not: Assuming you are using a cell phone, put it on speaker and help mom through the questions. Explain to the person on the other end of the phone that you are her son and what the problem is concerning your mom speaking with them, and tell them that you are speaking for her. She can verify this statement, and perhaps they will then talk to you. Keep the phone on speaker, and mom can then answer as needed. I haven’t had to deal with social security, only my mom’s doctors. This has worked for me in the past. YMMV, however.

Good luck
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 10, 2020 06:17PM
Mom is hard of hearing and memory is gone. I have both medical and general POA, but that does no good on the phone or web.

Do they every mail anything that is really needed?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 10, 2020 06:22PM
A copy of the POA should be on file with the SS office and thus I would think that as her legal guardian they would speak to you. But it IS the SS office.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: September 10, 2020 06:26PM
Ombligo
Mom is hard of hearing and memory is gone. I have both medical and general POA, but that does no good on the phone or web.

Do they every mail anything that is really needed?

Sounds like you might be considering just forgetting about the address change. I wouldn't do that. If they discover she's not at the address they have for her they could deactivate her account, declare her dead and/or come after you for taking her checks. It may be a real hassle for you, but your best bet might be to suck it up and make the trip into the local office. Allocate the entire day, get there as soon as it opens so you can be in the front of the line. Some offices have you take a number when you get there and they process people by those numbers.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 10, 2020 06:41PM
Speedy
Dennis S

At our local SS office the wait can be hours. They are helpful once it’s your turn.

Make an appointment...don't just show up or you'll be sitting there forever.

Also be aware it will be one of the most depressing places you'll ever visit.

I hope never to have to set foot in a SS office again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 06:41PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 10, 2020 06:50PM
.....that's what they said after WW II.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 10, 2020 10:10PM
I was lucky. A year or two ago, I needed to update some of my information. I was in the Rapid City, SD area and, the SSA has an office there (in the Rushmore Crossing Mall). I was in and out in ~ 15 minutes.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 10, 2020 10:20PM
....everything is made harder.....with the added security.....yes it protect but for cases like this [ and many who have parents who don't speak english ], it makes life harder.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 11, 2020 08:31AM
Ombligo
I need to change my mom's mailing address but have no idea what the password is. I use the forgot password function and it asks the usual inane questions that I don't know. It also only allows three tries before a 24-hr lockout. So I click on send reset code - except it will only snail mail the info TO HER OLD ADDRESS (in a non-forwarding envelope, of course).

Tried the phone line - they won't talk to me, but mom can't understand them and hands the phone back to me who they won't talk too). the nearest office is 60 miles and apparently is still closed anyway.

I'm tempted to say screw it. Her direct deposit works, she doesn't file taxes, I have no clue what she would need from them. i understand security but arghhh.

I think you need full Power of Attorney for her, and will have to make that trip, or contact her Congressional Rep to get the SS offices attention.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020