advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
M2 2280 ssd questions
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 10, 2020 03:21PM
Need to upgrade the boot drive on a MSI MS-16JB laptop (few years old). It uses a Kingston RBU-SNS8152S3256GG5 ssd. It appears that this is a M2 2280 ssd. Are there different variations of this specification or should any one without a heatsink work? I'm planning on getting a 1TB if I can find a compatible ssd in that size.

Do any of these come with migration/cloning software? Plan is to put the new drive in an external case and migrate/clone the boot drive to the new drive. Once complete, I will install the new drive into the laptop.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: M2 2280 ssd questions
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 10, 2020 03:46PM
Yes. That is a SATA drive, so you need a replacement SATA.

IIRC, the "M2 2280" refers to the physical format (and maybe the connector pins?). The connection protocol can be SATA, AHCI, or NVME. You need one that is SATA, and not one which is AHCI or NVME. Here's an example:

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 10, 2020 04:36PM
macphanatic
Do any of these come with migration/cloning software?

Sabrent models come with cloning software, but buyer beware, a lot of the reviews complain that it only works with official Sabrent external cases, which is another cost, especially if you already have a case.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 10, 2020 06:35PM
M.2 is the connector style.
2280 is the width x length (22mm wide, 80mm long)

There are three standards for socket layout: B, M, B&M. The one you have appears to be B&M key which is more compatible but slower 2x PCIe and SATA.

Drives with the M key only are usually NVMe and use 4x PCIe.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 10, 2020 07:20PM
Thanks all. The Crucial seems reasonable. Any recommendations for a case and cloning software?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 11, 2020 08:35AM
macphanatic
Need to upgrade the boot drive on a MSI MS-16JB laptop (few years old). It uses a Kingston RBU-SNS8152S3256GG5 ssd. It appears that this is a M2 2280 ssd. Are there different variations of this specification or should any one without a heatsink work? I'm planning on getting a 1TB if I can find a compatible ssd in that size.

Do any of these come with migration/cloning software? Plan is to put the new drive in an external case and migrate/clone the boot drive to the new drive. Once complete, I will install the new drive into the laptop.

Doesn't 3rd party MS software exist to solve your problem?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 11, 2020 08:56AM
Macrium Reflect's free version is very useful for cloning an old drive to a new bootable one.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: September 11, 2020 09:04AM
The Crucial SSD comes with Acronis True Image software which should do everything you need.

And here’s an inexpensive ($12) case that should work [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2020 09:22AM by PeterW.
Date: September 11, 2020 10:35AM
PeterW
The Crucial SSD comes with Acronis True Image software which should do everything you need.

And here’s an inexpensive ($12) case that should work [www.amazon.com]

Thanks.

Turns out that there may be bigger issues than just lack of hard drive space. There's all kinds of wonky behavior going on with the laptop. I think that I'm going to back up critical data and wipe it clean before looking at a new drive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020