advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
grin and beer it?!.....how many beers is too many......??
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 12, 2020 10:40AM
Poll
how many beers per day is too much....??
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
26 votes were received.
1-2/day is average 3

12%
3-6/day is too much 7

27%
6-12/day is too much 3

12%
12+/day is too much 0

0%
don't drink any 10

38%
why do you ask? 3

11%

......have a neighbor that regularly drinks 1-2 six packs either every day or every 2 days......not being much of a drinker, that seems excessive [ the neighbor is also on the heavy set side ].....this person also drinks 3-6 bottles of wine and/or hard liquor [ bourbon, whiskey, etc. ] on top of that.......per week.....

.....same thing on another floor, the apt regularly drinks 2 six packs every other day.......

....I would think 1-2 beers a day is enough but drinking a six pack in one day.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: grin and beer it?!.....how many beers is too many......??
Posted by: d4
Date: September 12, 2020 11:03AM
A 6-pack of lite beer is about the same calories as one coffee shop "fancy" drink like a frappuccino. But not as many people judge about those.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 12, 2020 11:17AM
That level of drinking will catch up with him eventually.

I don't think anyone can really drink without consequences, they just get good at dealing with them.

---

official guidelines say 2 drinks a man, 1 for a woman, per day is safe but I believe thats being revised downward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 11:26AM by mattkime.
Posted by: August West
Date: September 12, 2020 11:42AM
Ready to party, Newt? smiley-excited001 2020 might make you join the neighbor!

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Michael
Date: September 12, 2020 11:44AM
I think you need categories that allow for occasional beers. Maybe "1-3 per week" and "1-3 per month." I'll have a beer a month or so simply because I find one in the refrig when I go for a Diet Coke.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 12, 2020 11:53AM
Michael
I think you need categories that allow for occasional beers. Maybe "1-3 per week" and "1-3 per month." I'll have a beer a month or so simply because I find one in the refrig when I go for a Diet Coke.

Have to agree with this. I might drink the equivalent of 1-2 six packs over the course of a year.

Personally I find nothing wrong with the idea of drinking one or two a day, a normal persons metabolism can easily handle that. Going beyond 3 or 4 is drinking to get buzzed, and staying that way.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 12, 2020 11:54AM
I like to reach an equilibrium of inflow and outflow.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 12, 2020 11:59AM
Alcohol consumption is up during this time of social isolation. That being said, your neighbors' consumption sounds like chronic consumption to excess.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: September 12, 2020 12:19PM
There was a doctor who did a radio call in show. Somebody asked about a friend who drank a six pack each day, and the doctor said, "The man's an alcoholic." The drinking described here is certainly somebody who feels a need for the alcohol, not just somebody who is thirsty on a hot day.

I agree that the categories should include occasional social drinking on the order of one or two drinks a month, or having a glass of wine while out at a restaurant.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 12, 2020 12:23PM
JoeH
Michael

Have to agree with this. I might drink the equivalent of 1-2 six packs over the course of a year.

I would also agree, since I only drink 0-1 per week, if the question was how much do YOU drink? But that's not the question, as it seems intended. Rather, how much is TOO MANY in general. And for that, I think in general, anything over a couple a day would seem to be too much. But as a lightweight myself, if I have two drinks back to back I am no longer functional. Everyone is different and as long as it's not harming anyone but themselves...
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 12, 2020 12:41PM
Gareth
JoeH
Michael

Personally I find nothing wrong with the idea of drinking one or two a day, a normal persons metabolism can easily handle that. Going beyond 3 or 4 is drinking to get buzzed, and staying that way.

I would also agree, since I only drink 0-1 per week, if the question was how much do YOU drink? But that's not the question, as it seems intended. Rather, how much is TOO MANY in general. And for that, I think in general, anything over a couple a day would seem to be too much. But as a lightweight myself, if I have two drinks back to back I am no longer functional. Everyone is different and as long as it's not harming anyone but themselves...

I edited back in the part of my post that you left out. I think that more than answered the intent of the original question.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 12, 2020 12:43PM
There’s a very wide range of alcoholic content in “a beer” of any given size.
Posted by: blooz
Date: September 12, 2020 12:53PM
I agree your friend is an alcoholic. I just spent three years working in a facility for people trying to recover from addiction. Some of their stories were horrifying. This guy is on the way.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 12, 2020 01:06PM

Do you drink a glass of wine with dinner every night? That puts you in the top 30 percent of American adults in terms of per-capita alcohol consumption. If you drink two glasses, that would put you in the top 20 percent.

But in order to break into the top 10 percent of American drinkers, you would need to drink more than two bottles of wine with every dinner. And you'd still be below-average among those top 10 percenters.

The top 10 percent of American drinkers — 24 million adults over age 18 — consume, on average, 74 alcoholic drinks per week. That works out to a little more than 41/2 750 ml bottles of Jack Daniels, 18 bottles of wine or three 24-can cases of beer. In one week.

Or, if you prefer, 10 drinks per day.

These figures come from Philip J. Cook's "Paying the Tab," an economically minded examination of the costs and benefits of alcohol control in the U.S. Specifically, they're calculations made using the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions data.

I double-checked these figures with Cook, just to make sure I wasn't reading them wrong. "I agree that it's hard to imagine consuming 10 drinks a day," he told me. But, "there are a remarkable number of people who drink a couple of six packs a day, or a pint of whiskey."

As Cook notes in his book, the top 10 percent of drinkers account for well over half of the alcohol consumed in any given year. On the other hand, people in the bottom three deciles don't drink at all, and even the median consumption among those who do drink is just three beverages per week.

[www.chicagotribune.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 12, 2020 01:36PM
A lot of it gets back to the addiction gene. Big medicine needs to engineer a way to turn off the addiction gene, then rampant alcoholism and drug addiction will abate. In the mean time, if you don't know when to say "when", you're well on your way to chronic alcoholism. A beer, or two, once or twice a week, but not each and every week is more than enough. Your neighbors are definitely alcies, whether they know it or not.
==
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 12, 2020 02:17PM
What kind/brand of beer? Coors Light (awful) or similar, doesn't count as beer. It's really colored and expensive water.

If it's not one of the light (low alcohol) beers, more than 2-3 per day is probably too much. Probably better than drinking soda though.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 12, 2020 03:30PM
macphanatic
If it's not one of the light (low alcohol) beers, more than 2-3 per day is probably too much. Probably better than drinking soda though.

Agree on both.

I used to have a single beer (Shiner Bock) every night, Sun-Thurs as a nightcap. Now I have a glass of dry red wine.

Fri and Sat nights I usually have a drink, either bourbon, a dark beer, or a glass of wine with dinner, and a couple more after wards.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: d4
Date: September 12, 2020 04:33PM
If we're looking at alcohol content, a glass of wine = about 3 beers. If the average Italian or French person drinks 2 glasses of wine per day that's equivalent to a 6 pack of beer. Why all the shaming?

Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 12, 2020 04:47PM
d4
If we're looking at alcohol content, a glass of wine = about 3 beers.

Huh?

[www.niaaa.nih.gov]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 12, 2020 06:05PM
When I was a younger man, a six pack would only be the beginning. We went to a lot of "keggers" down by the river after work (2nd shift).

Today, at my advanced age, I can't hardly smell a beer cap without getting an ill feeling. smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 12, 2020 06:06PM
freeradical
[www.niaaa.nih.gov]

For the click-impaired....

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 12, 2020 07:01PM
Anything above 1-2 beers/day is likely an issue.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 12, 2020 07:09PM
What about those who drink more than average one day and then go without drinking for days? for example on a hot summer day while grilling and chilling out with friends I can have more than a couple of beers, spread out over the entire afternoon and long into the night. Then I can go without drinks during the week.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 13, 2020 12:20AM
I always find it amusing that Americans are obsessed with the "European" lifestyle of long dinners and a slower pace of life. That equates with a much higher level of alcohol consumption than the 1 drink per day "limit" mentioned here. Of course, they usually accompany that drinking with food, although not always in my observations.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 13, 2020 12:23AM
space-time
What about those who drink more than average one day and then go without drinking for days? for example on a hot summer day while grilling and chilling out with friends I can have more than a couple of beers, spread out over the entire afternoon and long into the night. Then I can go without drinks during the week.

This is exactly my situation. I'll also have 2 or 3 beers at a club while listening to music. Back when live music was a thing....
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 13, 2020 11:32AM
Buzz
A lot of it gets back to the addiction gene. Big medicine needs to engineer a way to turn off the addiction gene, then rampant alcoholism and drug addiction will abate. In the mean time, if you don't know when to say "when", you're well on your way to chronic alcoholism. A beer, or two, once or twice a week, but not each and every week is more than enough. Your neighbors are definitely alcies, whether they know it or not.
==

Unfortunately, the elusive "addiction gene" remains just that. There are heritable traits associated with alcohol dependence, but we are a long way from identifying gene(s) associated with addiction that can be "turn[ed] off" as simply as you suggest.

Edit: also, your general assessment of alcohol abuse is overly simplistic. The tendency to over-ascribe alcoholism in others is associated with people with negative experiences with people with substance abuse disorders. Alcohol and other substance abuse in some people is likely connected to a genetic predisposition; in others, it can be related to circumstances, stress, depression, or other temporary (and treatable) conditions. It's foolish to label all people with substance abuse issues with a broad brush. It's inaccurate and reflects a simplistic worldview of substance abuse disorders.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 11:36AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 16, 2020 08:23AM
.....same neighbor just put out four.....six packs of beer.....for the week......so far......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020