advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
f/u: iHealth PT2L Thermometer Deal
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 12, 2020 12:36PM
Robert M. posted bezosville deal for the $20 iHealth No Touch Forehead Thermometer PT2L.
[www.amazon.com]

Just arrived. It's accurate & easy to use but as dozens of buyers have complained
recently, it does not 'beep'. Or, the 'beep' is @ a frequency above my 'senior hearing range'!
old fogey smiley

For $20, I really don't feel like jumping thru the hoops to get a replacement item
that will probably have the same defect!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: f/u: iHealth PT2L Thermometer Deal
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 12, 2020 12:48PM
Is the beep actually necessary, can one just assume that after 5-10 seconds, it's done? Does it display the temp when done, and can that be a visual indicator?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 12, 2020 12:50PM
Have to ask the stupid question: Have you checked to make sure you're not in "silent mode"? Which is a feature, i.e. if you want to check a sleeping child's temperature.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 12, 2020 01:06PM
It displays the temperature when it's done. i assume you are looking at it. why do you need a beep? i've had one for months. it's never occurred to me that it should also beep. my oral thermometers need beep because they are sticking out the side of the mouth and i can't read it. i look in the mirror when i temp myself with the iHealth and i'm looking dead at it when i temp others.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 01:08PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 12, 2020 01:09PM
MrN,

Don't return the thermometer. It isn't defective. The thermometer isn't supposed to beep. It vibrates instead. Even the newer version, the PTL3, just vibrates.

Here is a link to the newer version:

[www.amazon.com]

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 01:10PM by Robert M.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 12, 2020 01:12PM
Fakespot gives the review reliability an F.

Date: September 12, 2020 01:13PM
Beep not necessary but was listed as a feature. Takes reading in 1-2 seconds.

Gareth
Have to ask the stupid question: Have you checked to make sure you're not in "silent mode"? ...
Not a stupid question, but yeah I did all that. Even pulled batteries & restarted.
Everything but a SMC & PRAM reset big grin smiley

Mystery Solved??
No beep @ forehead but if aimed into the ear, it reads the temp and beeps!
(same temp as forehead reading too.)
banghead smiley

Robert M, no vibrations. Neither good nor bad!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 01:15PM by MrNoBody.
Date: September 12, 2020 01:19PM
MrNoBody
Mystery Solved??
banghead smiley

New mystery, how does it know the difference between a forehead and an ear?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 12, 2020 01:27PM
Robert M
Don't return the thermometer. It isn't defective. The thermometer isn't supposed to beep. It vibrates instead. Even the newer version, the PTL3, just vibrates.

Except the one MrNoBody bought is supposed to beep. It says so in the description.

Beeps When Done
A quiet beep will sound after about 1 second to let you know that the reading is complete. Toggle off the alert if you worry about waking up your little one.

Why iHealth has decided to have so many different models, I don't understand.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 12, 2020 01:27PM
MrNoBody

Mystery Solved??
banghead smiley

Robert M, no vibrations. Neither good nor bad!

never knew you could read the ear! and i just now noticed that mine does vibrate when it reads. i'm not sure what i hear at the ear a beep, though. more like a vibration shudder. my ear is .5 hotter than my forehead. I have the PT3. on the device it designates the forehead as the read location.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 01:31PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 12, 2020 02:00PM
Gareth,

Hmmm... Didn't catch that about the beep since I didn't delve into the description. I based what I said on the PT3, which is made by the same company. Makes me wonder which is the newer version since I can't find the PT2L on iHealth's web site. It just has the PT3. I have a PT3 and it's dandy. As long as the PT2L is accurate and vibrates, I'd keep the PT2L since the price for it was so good.

Robert
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 12, 2020 03:14PM
I just went and tried our PT3. I already knew that it vibrated and I could hear the vibration, as well. When I measured my ear it vibrated but I was able to hear it more clearly. I didn't get any sort of sound that I'd call a beep, but maybe others would interpret it as such.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 12, 2020 04:36PM
If the product is supposed to beep. And yours does not beep. It's defective. Go ahead and start the exchange process with Amazon.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 13, 2020 04:18AM
I've had my temperature taken at least six times in somewhat recent months at Kaiser, and their IR thermometers beep.

It's nice to have something saying it duty cycle is complete.

If the appearance of the temperature signifies that, great.

My thermometer is the iHealth PT3 and it gives a short haptic jolt when done.

Initially, I had to use the mirror to get the distance right and it took several tries each time to get a temperature displayed.

I RTFM but it didn't help.

What I discovered was when I looked at the PT3 to press the button and then aimed it at my forehead, it failed three out of four times.

But when I held it near my forehead and then pushed the button, it worked first time, every time, and it's done even before I could look at the mirror.

I'm thinking the distance sensor shooting off into space and trying to get a distance while I moved it 'round was hitting a speed bump in the reading process.

I wonder if iHealth is merely a vendor or procurer of their devices and not the designer of them.

With the sudden demands on devices, might they be ordering multiple designs from multiple sources and branding them as theirs?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 13, 2020 01:49PM
I just got mine, it does beep, but it's very quiet. The first beep I heard was as soon as I put in the batteries. I did RTFM, and played with toggling the "buzzer", and the icon and beeping function did change as documented. There is no vibration function, that must be unique to a different model.

So if it only beeps when taking the temperature of an ear, I think that's an indication of a hearing problem or noisy environment. It beeps consistently when the function is enabled, but it's possible that your hearing only picks it up when it's close to your ear.

One thing I haven't determined yet is where on the device the beeper is located and if hand placement might be muffling it. It seems like it's coming out of temperature sensor area.

I also did remove the protective plastic wrap in case that was muffling it, but no noticeable change.

It might be possible that people are accidentally turning off the beep, since just holding the button long enough will get into the setup mode and allow toggling of the sound. But if the sound icon is showing, it should beep, but it's not very loud.

So far I'm happy with it, I can take my own forehead temp and hear the beep without needing a mirror, not sure how accurate it is, says that I'm 97.5.
Date: September 13, 2020 04:12PM
It seems like it's coming out of temperature sensor area.
I'm sure you're right on that.

I think that's an indication of a hearing problem or noisy environment
My recent hearing test was fine, maybe it's noise or could be my PT2L's beeper
is very low due to a factory variation?
dunno smiley As it seems accurate & is easy to read, I'm not going to return it.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 13, 2020 07:43PM
but if aimed into the ear, it reads the temp and beeps!

I'd have posited that it's a matter of a very directional, high pitched, low-volume sound just not being heard.

I'm wondering what 'fine' is for hearing test results.

Fine for a given person's age?

I'm sure at anything above 50ys old, 20-20KHz, +/- .5dB is wishful thinking unless at a high volume.

Get a kid or young adult to test.

never knew you could read the ear!

The very first IR thermometers I ever saw, years ago, used the ear for taking temperature.

Then I think the temple was next.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020