advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Baked Bacon - Anyone Here Try?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 13, 2020 04:02PM
Have you ever prepared bacon with this method?

I recently tried this way to cook bacon and I was impressed with the results. We had some tasty BLT's that were pretty great. yum smiley

Here's the site if anyone is interested.

[www.momontimeout.com]

Why should you bake your bacon?

Baked bacon does not curl – you get nice straight bacon pieces every time.

Cooks evenly – no white fatty pieces on one end and burnt bacon on the other.

No splattering of bacon grease all over the place.

No need to babysit the bacon. You don’t even have to turn it over!

Tastes delicious.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Baked Bacon - Anyone Here Try?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2020 04:07PM
.....baking bacon avoids the splatter of grease........so yes, when I cook bacon myself, will bake it......never fry it......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: September 13, 2020 04:13PM
That's how restaurants do it. All the positives mentioned are true, but I don't like the end product as much as fried. The meat tends to be harder and chewier, but it's WAY easier and cleaner.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: September 13, 2020 04:18PM
love it! it's the only way we've done it for years.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 13, 2020 04:20PM
For nearly 20 years now. 2 smaller cookie sheets, lined with heavy foil.

One stays in a few mintues longer for crispier bacon. We crumble it on salads, or mix into eggs dishes.

Wife will often season it, maybe 1/2 a pan -- brown sugar, ground pepper, garlic salt, etc. Kids like the specific flavors.

Its *different* than pan fried bacon... maybe not a "fatty" tasing. We still do from time to time -- but its a mess, and usually only if it gets a request.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 04:22PM by jdc.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 13, 2020 04:24PM
Baked in my Panny TCO, which uses standard quarter-size pans. Place it on a sheet
of parchment paper, 400 w/ convection for 10-12 minutes.

Also have a microwave cooker that works well. 4-slices in about 3 mins (1100W).
iirc, paid $7 on a sale @ bezosville for this one with cover:

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 13, 2020 04:25PM
My wife bakes bacon wrapped around dates. Yum yum!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 13, 2020 04:46PM
I tried it and it took too long and ended up paper thin.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 13, 2020 05:14PM
I don't have a dog (or a pig) in this fight, since Jew boy here has a pork allergy (not a Kosher thing), so I can't eat enough bacon to form a valid opinion. Wiff and Kid, however, eat mass quantities of the stuff so I'm always around the preparation. Li'l Bro buys whole pork bellies and cures, smokes, slices, packages his own bacon, so again I'm exposed to the production.

What I've gleaned from much close observation, without actual ingestion, is that if you render like 85% - 90% of the bacon in the oven, en masse when convenient, you can finish it off in the fry pan when you're ready to consume, and seemingly get the best tastin' bacon by doing it that way. Adding spices and/or other goodies, for add'l personal gratification, is always an option along the way. Repeated observation has taught me that you don't want to use bacon that's sliced too thin, unless it's for a special purpose.

2¢ from the observation deck.
==
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 13, 2020 06:05PM
When I was a kid we used a Wiz Grid which made the bacon flat and crumbly. Very good. When my young daughters discovered bacon I found an old Wiz Grid but the non-stick wasn't so hot. So I switched to a Cuisinart which worked pretty similarly. Then my brother visited and baked some bacon and I was sold on that method. If I need just a few slices the Cuisinart is the way to go but if I'm making up the whole package then baking is the way to go.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 13, 2020 10:07PM
When I bbq, I will put a couple of lbs on away from the fire and let them smoke/cook for a while. Add it to sandwiches/burgers until it's gone.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 13, 2020 10:17PM
Rolando
When I bbq, I will put a couple of lbs on away from the fire and let them smoke/cook for a while. Add it to sandwiches/burgers until it's gone.

I have been a bacon baker for a few years. Everyone else in my family is vegetarian, so I make a batch in the oven and freeze until needed.

But Rolando just rocked my world...next bacon will be on the BBQ.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 14, 2020 12:04AM
Markintosh
Rolando

I have been a bacon baker for a few years. Everyone else in my family is vegetarian, so I make a batch in the oven and freeze until needed.

But Rolando just rocked my world...next bacon will be on the BBQ.

Bonus points. Put a pan underneath, to catch the drippings. Soak those up with paper towels and put in the freezer. Use those bacon grease soaked paper towels as kindling to start your next fire. Much better than lighter fluid.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 14, 2020 09:40AM
I didn't know people did it any other way. How else would you do it?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 14, 2020 03:42PM
This will be a hard pass for me.

I like bacon a little spring and not crispy.

A little chewy is fine by me.

I don't like biting into it and having it break up.

Costco's already-cooked bacon is great.

I can heat it up a bit, and it's warm and tasty.

And very little mess, so that's ok by me.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 14, 2020 10:13PM

Making perfect bacon is easier than you might think. I used to forgo making bacon because the gigantic mess it made just wasn’t worth the amazing taste. A few years ago I learned about baking bacon and it has changed my life forever.

Well okay...smiley-laughing001
Posted by: qdog2
Date: September 18, 2020 08:42AM
That's the way we did it in the military. When you are cooking for a hundred plus people frying is not an option. Frying does taste better.

Portsmouth, Va
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020