advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would you rather travel back in time to meet ancestors or future to meet descendants?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 13, 2020 04:43PM
Poll
41 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Would you rather travel back in time to meet ancestors or future to meet descendants?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would you rather travel back in time to meet ancestors or future to meet descendants?
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 13, 2020 05:09PM
I’ll take about two years from now. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: Would you rather travel back in time to meet ancestors or future to meet descendants?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2020 05:12PM
....if I could turn back time.....if I could find a way......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 13, 2020 05:23PM
Anything to get the hell out of 2020. I'd probably go backwards though. No telling how messed up the future is at this point....

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: raz
Date: September 13, 2020 05:57PM
Oh sure, a time travel question from Mr. I'm my own grandfather

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 13, 2020 06:00PM
If all I'm doing is talking I would go to the past. It would be fascinating to see if my ancestors where anything like me. If I could do more than talk I'd go to the future to have my back fixed. Maybe I'd talk to my descendants. I don't really want to see what kind of problems I gave them. :-)

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: September 13, 2020 06:12PM
That's a REALLY interesting question. I don't know the answer, though. It opens up so many other questions and scenarios. Wow.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: DavidS
Date: September 13, 2020 06:20PM
One part of my family history I would love to go back and change. My grandfather and his siblings owned land in Palestine in the early 1900s. They sold it, thinking it was worthless. Had he still owned it, they likely would have been able to escape Nazi Germany together as a family. Instead, he perished at Auschwitz while my father and grandmother went into hiding in the French countryside until the end of the war.

Of course, had that happened, my father would likely not have immigrated to the US in 1949 and never have met my mother in college. There are always repercussions to altering the past.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 13, 2020 06:51PM
Since I won't have any descendants (at least not direct descendants), the answer in my case seems pretty obvious. Like DavidS, I would like to meet some of my ancestors, particularly the ones who never made it out of Germany, Austria, and other parts of Eastern Europe, like Lithuania. Or the ones who did make it out and came in through Ellis Island.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 13, 2020 07:10PM
I could go to the past and kill individuals like Hitler, Stalin, and I would not stop there.
Date: September 13, 2020 07:14PM
....but what about 'the butterfly effect'.......????

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 13, 2020 07:23PM
space-time
I could go to the past and kill individuals like Hitler, Stalin, and I would not stop there.

I'd start with the Roman Empire about the time of Caesar. Built on slavery and cruelty.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 13, 2020 07:25PM
It just says "meet." I'd like to meet my earliest known ancestor of my surname in America. His trail only goes back to getting off the boat in Philadelphia in the early 18th century; the European backstory of the family is not recorded...and that's what I'd love to hear about. But I'd have to learn German before I go.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 13, 2020 07:42PM
past.

Too much risk of being disappointed by what I would find in the future.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 13, 2020 07:43PM
Steve G.
space-time

I'd start with the Roman Empire about the time of Caesar. Built on slavery and cruelty.

Man how the world would be different today, I can only imagine!
Posted by: rz
Date: September 13, 2020 07:58PM
Future for me. I can read about the past. I may not know every detail, but I know enough. I don't know (and most likely will never know unless time travel becomes reality in my lifetime) anything about the future. I'd like to see how things turn out.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 13, 2020 08:05PM
One of the interesting concepts that always goes along with time travel musings is that the traveler would be able to go around murdering people willy nilly. big grin smiley

The presumptions are grand enough to make for an interesting dark comedy or Dark Mirror cautionary tale. Acquiring the target, getting to the target past whoever is watching over them, one’s real tolerance for cold blooded murder (especially if you go for the ‘kill them in their crib’ trope).

Even fitting in a very old culture (how’s your period German or ancient Roman?) and evading authorities. Bad luck you run into that period’s Hercule Poirot or, gawd forbid, a Sydney Riley (a presumptive real life James Bond/Jason Bourne).

Or perhaps most embarrassingly, you decide to go after that frustrated painter with the funny mustache and he just knows how to throw hands and kicks the snot out of you. facepalm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 08:07PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 13, 2020 09:48PM
I do not feel the need to meet any of my ancestors. I've always been careful to NOT impregnate any women I've been involved with so, I will not have any descendants. I am perfectly fine with the choices I have made. I've generally followed the "Golden Rule" and therefore have never "screwed over" anybody just because I could. old fogey smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: September 13, 2020 10:02PM
The past is mostly known, and the ancestors I know of (back to around the 1600s) weren't very interesting...mostly farmers and miners. The future is a complete mystery and how my descendants will end up is something I would love to know. So, future it is!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 14, 2020 01:58AM
It might be entertaining to meet my fist relatives on the West Coast to see how close it was to Oregon Trail. I don't have kids so no special reason to travel into the future except to see if people are still living on earth in 200 years.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 14, 2020 03:51AM
If you wake up and don't want to smile
If it takes just a little while
Open your eyes and look at the day
You'll see things in a different way

Don't stop thinking about tomorrow
Don't stop, it'll soon be here
It'll be here better than before
Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone

I already know the past so I'd take a peek at the future.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: September 14, 2020 07:01AM
mikebw
Steve G.
space-time

Man how the world would be different today, I can only imagine!

True, but the common fallacy is that if the past could be changed by eliminating the things and people we now know were bad, that somehow the present and future would be in much better shape. There's only a 50-50 chance that would be true - eliminating people like Hitler, Stalin and Caesar could very well have produced a world that is MUCH worse that what we now live in.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 14, 2020 09:39AM
Future. The past is lost.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 14, 2020 10:22AM
I'd try to go back as far as possible and meet Mitochondrial Eve... Really just to observe from a distance, and try to avoid getting killed by the local Large Predators or other megafauna.

The archaeological impact on finding titanium plates and screws attached to bones that had been buried for half a million years would be... extreme.
Date: September 14, 2020 02:17PM
......'immortal cells'.......???

Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: September 14, 2020 05:23PM
Past. The future is lost.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020