advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What attracts lizards? (welcome to my Monday)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 14, 2020 02:01PM
We have small lizards in this part of the country. They like to enter the basement, at the rate of about one per season? How, I don’t know. It’s not a finished basement, and I’m not interested in sealing everything off in a rental.

Actually I did once see one attempting to back in where the wood stove pipe exists the cement wall. Little tail hanging down the wall. In that case I tapped and made noise until it decided it wasn’t worth the effort and went back outside. This one I think entered via a different spot; I heard a small “thump” one day, like something very small fell onto a box or a book behind me. And then later he appeared by the double doors.

Last one the kids extracted with a bucket. Today’s came in about 3-4 days ago and quickly ran under a bunch of furniture. Saw him near the double doors ... only sunlight down here. 3 attempts at capture only sent him into safety. Every so often he ventures near the door but hides when you get anywhere near him.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What attracts lizards? (welcome to my Monday)
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 14, 2020 02:25PM
They eat little bugs-In Hawaii, Geckos in your home are considered good luck.
Date: September 14, 2020 02:39PM
Don’t mind at all if he eats the basement bugs. But one day I’ll have to scrape up his dried up carcass I suppose. There’s zero water down here. Hopefully not from the inside of some storage container we care about. I wish this basement was cleared out, but like 80% or more doesn’t even belong to us.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 14, 2020 02:51PM
Is this a problem or a curiosity? It sounds like a curiosity, which is great, especially with kids. Lizards like hiding places that are dark and relatively dry, and you may have critters that attract them down there (basement bugs, as you said).

I say give them names and enjoy their company. Help the kids realize that nature isn't foreign, just usually separated, from humans. Lots of good lessons there.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 14, 2020 03:05PM
Down here, we're having an invasion of brown lizards ... I've seen 'em all over my property, they're displacing our native green anoles... [www.nola.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: rz
Date: September 14, 2020 03:31PM
I should send my son. We call him the "lizard whisperer". We have the anoles and geckos here in FL. He is very adept at catching them and "taming" them. He will flip them over and rub their belly. For whatever reason, that calms them. Then he'll walk around with them on his shoulder, or have it clinging to his earlobe. He says the bite doesn't hurt.
Posted by: fauch
Date: September 14, 2020 04:06PM
They usually get out the same way they got in. I find them in my house all the time. They eat bugs and don't bother me so I leave them alone. My dog used to HATE them though. She would not rest until the lizard was gone which could take hours sometimes if it was on the ceiling...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 14, 2020 04:11PM
.....Spider-Man......or......Spider-Woman......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 14, 2020 05:02PM
The ones around here eat cockroaches, sorry, palmetto bugs. Their carcasses are easy to dispose of: after they die they just slowly dessicate to tough skin and bones.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 14, 2020 05:17PM
PeterB
Down here, we're having an invasion of brown lizards ... I've seen 'em all over my property, they're displacing our native green anoles... [www.nola.com]

Say goodbye to your green anole. We had those but they were displaced about ten years ago by the brown lizards. Now were are seeing geckos (which I welcome)

South Florida has a real lizard problem, like 4-5 foot long iguanas and Tegu's (but don't worry the boa constrictors are eating them)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: September 14, 2020 06:47PM
Ya'll are so helpful? So it's an anole, huh? OK. I'd say dark green with brown stripes.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 14, 2020 07:44PM
Food supply. We had a couple of skinks living in our house in the 60's. Mom refused to spray for bugs because Organic everything. The lizards and spiders were very fat on the cockroaches and other bugs. Eventually Dad got tired of it and had the house fumigated. The skinks moved out after that.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 14, 2020 07:50PM
Ombligo
PeterB

Say goodbye to your green anole. We had those but they were displaced about ten years ago by the brown lizards. Now were are seeing geckos (which I welcome)

South Florida has a real lizard problem, like 4-5 foot long iguanas and Tegu's (but don't worry the boa constrictors are eating them)

I would really hate to lose the green anoles, and contrary to what the article I posted said, I actually have still seen them in the city, though the browns do seem to be becoming more common. On the other hand ... as the article also points out: if the greens are predominantly arboreal, and the browns predominantly ground dwelling... with the weather we're about to get, let's just say that I would not want to be on the ground right now as a lizard, unless you know how to swim.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020