advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommendation for Smart 3 Way switch with Dimmer
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 18, 2020 09:37AM
Thinking of changing my kitchen ceiling lights from 3000K to 5000K, and I currently have a smart 3 way switch, to turn them on and off. I am thinking I would like to invest in a 3 way smart switch that has a dimmer, as having 6 5000k bright daylight lights on, might be too bright.

Currently one of these is installed in kitchen, if they come as a pair used the other for the stair light.

[www.amazon.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommendation for Smart 3 Way switch with Dimmer
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 18, 2020 09:45AM
may be easier to just put in dimmable smartbulbs and group them together.

But too answer, I have had good luck with Kasa TC Link

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 18, 2020 10:04AM
I use the Lutron Caseta switches. They need a bridge though and I don’t know if they can be wired as true 3 way switches. They have a wireless remote that can be wall mounted like a switch to act like a 3 way. So I was able to add “3 way” switches remotely and my pre-wired 3 ways I wired to normal (all inside the boxes) and replaced one switch with the wireless remote.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 18, 2020 10:29AM
I think this is the sort of thing that is going to be different for everyone for a variety of reasons.

since you already have smart switches, we know you have a neutral. But are there any wires running between the two switches? If not, I assume you lose one of those switches if your wifi goes down.

I used leviton switches for lights and lutron caseta for fans largely because I'm picky about switch design. I wanted a more traditional design for light switches and fans needed something distinct from that.

Are all your smart home devices run via wifi? Thats another factor.

Oh, IMO, 3000 to 5000K is big difference. 5000K I'd only use in a workspace. ...but I know everyone has their own opinion. so ymmv.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2020 10:33AM by mattkime.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020