advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Vacuums--Anybody using a Dyson V8, V10, or V11? Miele HX1
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 18, 2020 03:10PM
We're thinking about getting a battery powered vacuum. Anybody have any experience with these? And recommendations?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vacuums--Anybody using a Dyson V8, V10, or V11? Miele HX1
Posted by: timg
Date: September 18, 2020 03:15PM
we got a V7, but found the battery life was a little too short. recently got a V10.

they work very well, and are much easier to maneuver than a standard vacuum.

Since the motor is essentially in your hand, it helps that it is well balanced and pretty lightweight.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 18, 2020 03:17PM
Like our V7. We got the one with the hardwood floor brush, handy.

We end up with A LOT of long hair in it due to 3 women with long hair in the house.

Moving to a 2 story home, will want one on the second floor ... I would be tempted to look at one of the sharks that supposedly does hair better.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 18, 2020 03:40PM
We love our Shark. Cheap, and works great.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 18, 2020 03:45PM
We have a V10 in a 1350sf house. On normal power I can do a quick once over of the entire house (all hard surface floors), but that means not repeatedly going over the same area and not going under the furniture. On high power, it's more like 1/4 to 1/3 of the house (I'm also usually more focused on trouble spots and cat fur covered door mats when in high mode).

It takes a long time to recharge the battery from fully depleted (I've never timed it). Just note that if you run out of power, you'll be waiting hours to continue vacuuming (though you'll have enough to spot vacuum after a bit if you notice you missed something quick).

If I was buying new again (I've had the V10 for years now), I'd either look at the higher end V11 that brings back swappable batteries, or look at the cheaper options to see how they compare.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 18, 2020 03:52PM
.....what about a V8 [ I should of had a V8 ]......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 18, 2020 04:03PM
abut a year ago there were some deals on a "Tineco" brand, is anyone familiar with this? some models come with 2 batteries that you can swap

[www.amazon.com]
Date: September 18, 2020 04:45PM
Gareth
We have a V10 in a 1350sf house. On normal power I can do a quick once over of the entire house (all hard surface floors), but that means not repeatedly going over the same area and not going under the furniture..

huh, sounds off? we had 1700 SF, part hardwood and part carpet -- and never ran out of battery on normal mode. Wife cleans *every* friday. Long hallway, 3 bedrooms, big walk in closet all carpet -- master bath, laundry, den and greatroom/kitchen all wood and laminate.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 18, 2020 04:50PM
Personally, I consider Mr. Dyson a wannabe Branson or Leader.
Would not buy any product he pitches...

distant relative?

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: d4
Date: September 18, 2020 05:04PM
We have a regular corded canister vacuum for deep cleaning that we haul out maybe once every couple of weeks. The V7 is for light duty, everyday spruce up. Crumbs in the kitchen. Hair in the bathroom. Sort of stuff.

The V7 with the soft "fluffy" roller works great on hardwood floors and tile. People may ding it for its battery life, but seriously, 20-30 mins is plenty of time for "spruce up" vacuuming. When done, I hang it up back on the charger and it's ready for next time.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 18, 2020 05:24PM
Anon,

Funny you should post this question. We have a Hoover Linx. Been using it since 2009. Great stick vacuum. It sucks. It has a beater which makes it good for both bare floors and rugs/carpet. Battery holds a charge well. Ours is aging and my wife wanted to try something different this time.

We recently tried a Tineco A10 Hero. It took me less than five minutes to decide to return it. The Tineco is too top-heavy. It doesn't stand by itself. Didn't seem as powerful as the old Hoover. Don't like the charging system.

Now that the Tineco is going back, I started looking at other alternatives to the Hoover. I wouldn't go near a Dyson or Miele. In looking at their designs, they seem similar to the Tineco, which means they're going to be top-heavy. Not a fan. That and they're; expensive for a stick vac.

Since our Hoover keeps getting skewed because of hair, we've been eyeballing this model from Shark:

[www.sharkclean.com]

Expensive and it has an annoying top-heavy design. Still, I like the idea of the self-cleaning brushroll. Then again, the Hoover has served us amazingly well for more than a decade. May just end up getting another one for $100. You can't beat it when it comes to bang for the buck at that price. Hell, it's an RYF.

[www.amazon.com]

The hoover has been a very solid, reliable cordless vac. We use it every day, sometimes multiple times per day. Definitely _far_ more than our canister vac and even our cordless handvac. Very tempted to buy another one. If nothing else, I can use the old Hoover for spare parts. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 18, 2020 06:02PM
bought a V7 Absolute a year ago on several recs here.

House is small, maybe 1200. Mostly wood and 2 small area of tile.
4 MidEast type area rugs and one with a little pile (sp?) to it.

I run the V7 on super suck and usually get thru the whole house on one charge and 4 or so emptys. Except shed season. The 2 charges and 8 emptys.

The attachments are good. It's light. Can do the over head neked beams and ceiling fans. Great weight for cobwebs and strange.

Replaced a canister Dyson that died at 10.

They can be had from Dysons factory ebay outlet for a lot less than you might see. Near as I can tell, ours was brand new in a slightly damaged exterior box.

There a youtube nut or several that do stick vac compares. Useful and what made me go for Tyson again.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2020 06:05PM by Fritz.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 18, 2020 07:01PM
Robert M,

I am tempted. There is a newer version of that vacuum for 129. Both your model and the new model have removable batteries and they cost about $56. I am tempted to buy one unit (haven't decided which one, the old or the new model) and then if I like it, a second unit for the battery and spare parts.
Date: September 18, 2020 07:48PM
Space,

Just took part of the powerhead of the Hoover apart and pulled off a bunch of hair. Used a wire drain declogger to clean out the inside tube and replaced the filter. Minimal stuck inside the tube. Easy peasy. Took about ten minutes. The Hoover is like new again.

One thing I like about Hoover is they make spare parts and consumables readily available. Will order some new filters. The wife still wants a new cordless stick vacuum but now we’ll hold out until the Shark in my other post becomes available. That assumes I can’t convince her that we really don’t need another vacuum.

I’m thinking maybe I should save myself a bunch of agita and just preorder the Shark and be dome with it...

Robert
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 18, 2020 09:54PM
Robert-

Reportedly, the Miele lets you put the motor/battery/cannister near the bottom of the vacuum.

Robert M
Anon,

Funny you should post this question. We have a Hoover Linx. Been using it since 2009. Great stick vacuum. It sucks. It has a beater which makes it good for both bare floors and rugs/carpet. Battery holds a charge well. Ours is aging and my wife wanted to try something different this time.

We recently tried a Tineco A10 Hero. It took me less than five minutes to decide to return it. The Tineco is too top-heavy. It doesn't stand by itself. Didn't seem as powerful as the old Hoover. Don't like the charging system.

Now that the Tineco is going back, I started looking at other alternatives to the Hoover. I wouldn't go near a Dyson or Miele. In looking at their designs, they seem similar to the Tineco, which means they're going to be top-heavy. Not a fan. That and they're; expensive for a stick vac.

Since our Hoover keeps getting skewed because of hair, we've been eyeballing this model from Shark:

[www.sharkclean.com]

Expensive and it has an annoying top-heavy design. Still, I like the idea of the self-cleaning brushroll. Then again, the Hoover has served us amazingly well for more than a decade. May just end up getting another one for $100. You can't beat it when it comes to bang for the buck at that price. Hell, it's an RYF.

[www.amazon.com]

The hoover has been a very solid, reliable cordless vac. We use it every day, sometimes multiple times per day. Definitely _far_ more than our canister vac and even our cordless handvac. Very tempted to buy another one. If nothing else, I can use the old Hoover for spare parts. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: September 19, 2020 11:17AM
Anon,

Saw that. It also has a self-standing feature, which is critical for a stick vacuum. The Miele is also $499.99. That's _pricey_ for a stick vacuum. 'course, Dyson models can get up there, too.

Dysons are on sale at the moment at Dyson.com. Saw a variant of the V7 for $199 at newegg. It's the bare floor version. Wouldn't get it since it lacks the versatility of the Absolute version. Then I noticed that the Dysons have two heads. One is a standard roller head for bare floors and a motorized brush head for rugs and carpets. You need to manually switch between the two. That's annoying.

The cheap Hoover doesn't require that. Bare floors is standard mode. Push the power button one notch further and it activates the powered brush head. It also doesn't have the annoying uncomfortable pistol grip design like the Tineco model.

Is the Dyson more powerful and better at sucking? No doubt. So much better that it's worth the cost of admission? Unlikely. Are the more powerful Dyson and Miele models worth the money? Not in my opinion. If you need something that powerful, just break out the corded canister vac and be done with it.

Robert
Date: September 19, 2020 05:04PM
Robert M
If you need something that powerful, just break out the corded canister vac and be done with it.
Robert

Would you mind coming over and tell my wife that ;). You will forgive me if I just stand a few feet away... =)

We are currently in a 3 story condo... after living in a single story home for the last 17 years... the lightweight cordless vac has been perfect.

Date: September 20, 2020 12:01AM
Hi everyone,

The wife found this deal on the Shark Rocket Pro Dirt Engage from HSN:

[www.hsn.com]

Cordless stick vac. Based on the specs, it includes everything I was looking for in a cordless vac including the self-cleaning brush head. The price is solid for this particular model. Looked at Shark's web site and accessories and replacement parts are available and not too expensive for most of them.

Per the wife's request, it is now on order. Felt it was in my best interest to agree with her on this. smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2020 12:01AM by Robert M.
Posted by: dk62
Date: September 20, 2020 03:25PM
Did some research recently and bought Tineco. Very happy with it.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2020 03:26PM by dk62.
Date: September 20, 2020 04:26PM
DK,

That's the next model up from the one my wife and I tried out. In comparing the design of that model and the one we just ordered, the Rocket Pro has a better design for activating the vacuum. You slide a button for floors and small area rugs. Slide it a step further for heavier work on an area rugs and carpeting. You can also pull the trigger to activate boost for more power. I prefer this design over the trigger system of the Tineco.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 51
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020