advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Claritin vs Zyrec vs Allegra to replace Benadryl for hives?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 21, 2020 03:18PM
I had lots of hives yesterday and Benadryl knocks me out, plus causes earless leg syndrome. I'll see the doctor in a week and get something prescribed, but I would like to get y'all's opinions first.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Claritin vs Zyrec vs Allegra to replace Benadryl for hives?
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 21, 2020 03:30PM
I keep some Benadryl in my first aid kit, in case of severe allergic reaction, but yes, it really knocks me out. Some use it as a sleep aid in a pinch. I prefer Claritin, but Zyrtec also works well for me. I haven’t really tried Allegra. Other allergy meds that I used in the past also really messed with my energy levels. Those two not so much.
Date: September 21, 2020 03:33PM
Are the three non-Benadryl medicines as potent and reliable as Benadryl for hives and insect stings?
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 21, 2020 03:40PM
I would think not, but YMMV. I haven’t had hives since I was a kid. I double up on Claritin when my allergies are really bad, but I am a big guy. Some people do alternate doses of two different 24 hour ones (2nd one taken 12 hours after the first). The bee sting scenario is why I have some Benadryl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2020 03:40PM by btfc.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 21, 2020 03:40PM
Benadryl comes in non sleep formula.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 21, 2020 03:41PM
Zyrtec plus Flonase each morning for me.

Benedryl only if I'm having an acute reaction.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 21, 2020 03:46PM
If I haven't been sleeping well for a few nights, I'll take Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCL) and it helps me sleep through the night. You can get a bottle of like 250 of them for a couple of bucks at Walmart or another drug store. I'll take it for hives too, but I might get hives once every few years.

Wife just had shoulder surgery and developed a blot clot in her arm which she said itched like crazy. Doctor suggested Zyrtec. She took it a few times. She said it helped a little, but not as much as she would have liked. She's been on blood thinners for a couple of weeks now, and said most of the itching is gone.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 21, 2020 04:00PM
Zyrtec is a hell of a lot more effective than I'd ever thought it was. I learned this over the last week, when I've had to go cold turkey on antihistamines due to a pending allergy test. For the last 4 days I've felt like my entire epidermis is one big crawling itch AND IT IS DRIVING ME COMPLETELY CRAZY
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 21, 2020 04:01PM
I think it varies idiosynatically from person to person.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 21, 2020 04:39PM
I suffer from chronic hives and before I got that diagnosed, I was getting by on one Zyrtec a day (generic from Costco is 365 pills for about $14). Now I'm on a prescription medicine, but still take a Zyrtec a day to keep the edge off, and more often than not a Benadryl at night. And before the prescription was approved, the doctor had me on a combination of Zyrtec and Allegra.

Zyrtec claims to be more effective the longer you take it. And now it seems like if I forget one day it loses a little effectiveness for a bit, but that could also just be a mental thing...

Will Collier
For the last 4 days I've felt like my entire epidermis is one big crawling itch AND IT IS DRIVING ME COMPLETELY CRAZY

I had to do 5 days before my first appointment with the allergist so I've felt your pain. And then they couldn't even do the allergy tests b/c my skin reacted so badly to the cleaning alcohol. The nurse called the doc in and she took one look and knew it was chronic hives.
Date: September 21, 2020 04:50PM
I used to have to get Benadryl compounded with just diphenhydramine powder and water. I was allergic to the dyes or other ingredients in OTC Benadryl.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 21, 2020 04:57PM
What is earless leg syndrome? smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 21, 2020 05:19PM
Dennis,

They're all antihistamines. However, they serve different purposes.

Claritin, Zyrtec and Allegra are extended release, non-drowsy antihistamines. Great for chronic longer term allergies such as seasonal allergies and definitely for situations where drowsiness is an issue.

Benadryl is superior for acute short-term allergic reactions such as, say, a bee sting. You can use it for issues like seasonal allergies but it's not going to do the job for as long a time and it's gonna make you drowsy.

I'm a good example... I take Zyrtec as a daily antihistamine for general allergies. Gets the job done. However, Zyrtec doesn't cut it when I have to deal with an acute reaction such as when I get a mosquito bite or am exposed to a mild amount of mold spores at once or a medicine with sulfa. That's when I need to break out Benadryl.

If I'm exposed to apple or an excessive amount of mold, even Benadryl doesn't cut it. I have to get ready to break out an epipen because I face anaphylaxis.

Robert
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 21, 2020 05:26PM
Gareth
I suffer from chronic hives and before I got that diagnosed, I was getting by on one Zyrtec a day (generic from Costco is 365 pills for about $14). Now I'm on a prescription medicine, but still take a Zyrtec a day to keep the edge off, and more often than not a Benadryl at night. And before the prescription was approved, the doctor had me on a combination of Zyrtec and Allegra.

Zyrtec claims to be more effective the longer you take it. And now it seems like if I forget one day it loses a little effectiveness for a bit, but that could also just be a mental thing...

Will Collier
For the last 4 days I've felt like my entire epidermis is one big crawling itch AND IT IS DRIVING ME COMPLETELY CRAZY

I had to do 5 days before my first appointment with the allergist so I've felt your pain. And then they couldn't even do the allergy tests b/c my skin reacted so badly to the cleaning alcohol. The nurse called the doc in and she took one look and knew it was chronic hives.

Last time I had a scratch test, as a teenager, the allergist told me the results were the second-worst reactions he'd ever seen.

The worst: my dad.
Date: September 21, 2020 05:48PM
Rick-o
What is earless leg syndrome? smiley-laughing001

It seems to be an epidemic.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 21, 2020 07:00PM
I have had earless leg syndrome all my life. I have just learned to live with it.

I don't see any mention of Zyzal, but it works pretty well for me. Claritin and Allegra tend to give me headaches, which is unfortunate because Allegra worked well otherwise.

Zyrtec (cetirizine) does cause drowsiness, as does Zyzal (which contains cetirizine). I take them as seldom as possible, and preferably at night, but I still feel the effects the next day: I feel tired and sluggish all day. But it is preferable to whatever allergic reactions I was having.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 21, 2020 07:29PM
OK, having suffered from hives, more specifically angioedema, I can relate some info that might surprise some of you...

Supposedly these are all H1 receptor blockers and should have equivalent effects. But I can tell you from personal experience that-- for whatever reason-- they really don't, at least not in my case. For my angioedema, which I've suffered from since college days, the only thing that would work was Hismanal, which got pulled from the market because of causing cardiac deaths, and once that was unavailable, I went through a series of antihistamines until I found Zyrtec ... which was the ONLY thing that worked at all decently and without causing excessive drowsiness. I tried 'em all... Benadryl, Seldane (again, since pulled from the market), hydroxyzine, Allegra, Claritin, you name it. Many of them were like taking candy, e.g., no effect at all. Zyrtec was the only thing that worked. It's not just a question of it being a receptor blocker but also of the pharmacokinetics and what it's doing to the cells... that's why it takes a long time to have full effect, possibly up to seven days. My experience is mirrored by others with hives who have sometimes said that Zyrtec was the only one that worked for them... it's known for being especially good for hives. Robert M is correct that Benadryl and epinephrine are useful for acute reactions, such as anaphylaxis.

P.S. Zyzal is just the active enantiomer of Zyrtec, that is, the active isomer. In theory it should be more potent, but again that assumes that the other isomer is doing nothing... which is not 100% certain. IMHO, it's not worth the added expense to get, since Zyrtec can be had for so cheap as a generic.

P.P.S., if you want a REALLY good night's sleep, take the Unisom which is doxylamine succinate, one of the early generation antihistamines, that's SO good at sedating that it will knock you out like a light! (Much better than Benadryl, which in my case just made me sluggish and kinda-drowsy but only in a light sleep kinda way...)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 21, 2020 09:45PM
Just give them a try and see how they work for you. They're very safe. Lately I'm up to two Zyrtec a day due to allergy season - doc suggested it.

I'd ty to avoid long term use of benadryl - [www.health.harvard.edu]

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 22, 2020 12:31AM
I have had earless leg syndrome all my life. I have just learned to live with it.

POMTL!

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 22, 2020 12:56AM
There needs to be a ribbon for Earless Leg Syndrome Awareness, because, frankly, no one knows about it.
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 22, 2020 01:53AM
I’ve lately had to take two Zyrtec a day as well as using Nasacort once to twice a day; ragweed pollen has been in the very high category, with the Oklahoma Allergy folks telling people that if you are sensitive you may want to stay indoors. I tell people that if it’s green, grows and flowers, then I’m allergic to it. I have been on Zyrtec for years now as well as the allergy shots (some 13+ years). The first time the doctor tested me, they had to switch to a much more dilute extract fit the various grasses because the reaction was quick and began to interfere with the next one to test. The following day my arms were solid masses of red swollen patches. Really fun times, there.

The allergist has taken me off the shots, as I had reached the highest dosage and maintained it for well over a year. I still have issues with some things, but not nearly as bad as before I started the treatments. We’ll see how things go.

The use of various allergy meds will strongly depend on the individual, even within families. My sister can take half a Benedril and it puts her to sleep. I can take two and it might take the edge off. I get dopey on it, and medicine head is a real thing. It works quickly though, and I keep it around for emergencies. It works well on hives, whereas Zyrtec doesn’t seem to do much in that regard. But Benedril wears off quickly for me (right at 3-4 hours), and so something longer acting is needed. Claritin was like taking a sugar pill, and didn’t seem to do anything. Allegra is much the same way. However, as others have stated, the only way for you to know what works for you is to try them. Many of them take time to build up to effective amounts, so give them time.

Benedril has a reputation of aggravating memory problems in older adults, and so it is not suitable for long term use in that population. The stuff that really worked well for me was taken off the market due to some unpleasant side effects (that and the meth makers censored smileycursing smiley )
Posted by: fauch
Date: September 22, 2020 11:08AM
Dennis S
plus causes earless leg syndrome.
Holy crap! Remind me never to take Benadryl again...
Date: September 22, 2020 12:00PM
fauch
Dennis S
plus causes earless leg syndrome.
Holy crap! Remind me never to take Benadryl again...

I'm definitely going to start reading the fine print.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 22, 2020 12:03PM
RAMd®d

POMTL!

You think that's bad. At least it's not legless ear syndrome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2020 12:06PM by Janit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020