advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is it the cord or the charge port or both? OH MY!
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: September 22, 2020 10:40AM
IPad Pro 11 (USB-C charge port) seems to like being fickle - I think. I bought this thing called “ChargPod” that has micro usb, USB-c, and Lightning charge cords that reel out of it for my riders in the back seat (I drive for Lyft). I’ve tested all 3 chargers and they work but it doesn’t work on my iPad’s USB-C port. So, I plugged in a different USB-C cable and it charges my iPad fine. So I’m confused as to why the ChargPod USB-C doesn't charge my iPad but works on every other USB-C charge port that I’ve tried it on. Could it be that the ChargPod is not is not putting out enough juice to charge a larger device but is putting out enough for a phone? THe ChargPod says “Current: 2.4A” on the box. Or could it be my iPad?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is it the cord or the charge port or both? OH MY!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 22, 2020 11:00AM
To reduce complexity, first try and charge it with the official Apple cable and power source. Then start reducing to the main issue.

I will note that most mobile device issues in my household seem to involve debris in the mobile device charging jack. They are like belly buttons ... they attract lint and dust like mad.
Date: September 22, 2020 11:13AM
cbelt3
To reduce complexity, first try and charge it with the official Apple cable and power source. Then start reducing to the main issue.

I will note that most mobile device issues in my household seem to involve debris in the mobile device charging jack. They are like belly buttons ... they attract lint and dust like mad.

All USB-C charge cables I have (which are 3rd party because I can’t find my iPad’s original charger) work fine except for the ChargPod USB-C cable. But like I said the ChargPod does charge other devices (my Logitech keyboard for iPad Pro 11 and some headphones). At any rate I contacted the ChargPod company.

EDIT: I did use some compressed air to blow out the iPad port to no avail.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 22, 2020 11:24AM
Might sound elitist, but I'd be far more ready to blame the ChargPod. I don't trust a lot of those third party offerings (though I have worked with great products from Anker and Aukey). Those super-thin cables look a little on the janky side.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: September 22, 2020 11:24AM
Zoidberg
Might sound elitist, but I'd be far more ready to blame the ChargPod. I don't trust a lot of those third party offerings (though I have worked with great products from Anker and Aukey). Those super-thin cables look a little on the janky side.

I’m thinking that too.

Posted by: Carm
Date: September 23, 2020 04:48AM
iPad Pro needs 15Watts (5v @ 3A) minimum to charge if it’s using 5v to charge.
Apple’s 18w charger is rated at 5v 3A , 9v 2A.
Watts = Volts X Amps, So 5v X 3A = 15w or 9v X 2A = 18w

I assume the iPad wants more than 2.4A @ 5v the thingamabob provides, so no charge for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 04:53AM by Carm.
Date: September 23, 2020 09:35AM
Carm
iPad Pro needs 15Watts (5v @ 3A) minimum to charge if it’s using 5v to charge.
Apple’s 18w charger is rated at 5v 3A , 9v 2A.
Watts = Volts X Amps, So 5v X 3A = 15w or 9v X 2A = 18w

I assume the iPad wants more than 2.4A @ 5v the thingamabob provides, so no charge for you.

Ahh ok! I suspected this! Thank you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020