advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Plantar fasciitis
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: September 24, 2020 11:46AM
I've been suffering from heel pain for a month. Finally got in to see the orthopedic Doc this morning.

Got shot of cortisone in the heel and just let me say, OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

That really hurt. Anyway, have to stay off my feet for the day and ice the heel down.

Sucks getting old!

Bryan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Plantar fasciitis
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 24, 2020 11:52AM
> Sucks getting old!

Agreed! But as I always say, it's better than the alternative.

Hope your heel heals quickly.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 24, 2020 11:55AM
PF is not an old persons maladay, fwiw.

My advice: shoes with good arches and stretch your feet before waking up. My bout with it was in my late 30s -- seemed to be all about my shoes.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 24, 2020 12:00PM
It does suck. I went through plantar fasciitis a number of years ago. The cortisone shot worked wonders but my doc said it was for occasional use only. I went through all the various "cures" and finally found that a foot rocker from Amazon really took care of it. I used it sitting in a chair and went back and forth as much as I could for a period of time each day. A couple of weeks later it was done. I don't really think a rocker is probably necessary; just rocking your foot both ways to a substantial degree while in a lounge chair or sitting on the ground will probably do the same thing. The rocker just gave me a structure to use. Any time I start to feel it return I use it for a couple of days and the pain goes away.

Here's one: [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: d4
Date: September 24, 2020 12:05PM
These $15 insoles might help:
[www.amazon.com]

Plantar Fasciitis Feet Insoles Arch Supports Orthotics Inserts

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 24, 2020 12:18PM
d4
These $15 insoles might help:
[www.amazon.com]

Plantar Fasciitis Feet Insoles Arch Supports Orthotics Inserts

These look good to try. If they do not work -

custom orthotic insoles solved my wife's chronic PF. She had lived with it for years with no physical therapy or changing shoes helping.

There are a number of custom orthotics - or at least more fine-tuned - available now.

They were like $300, but some of the best $$ we ever spent.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 24, 2020 12:22PM
Also, losing weight may help with plantar fasciitis if you are overweight.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 24, 2020 12:45PM
No need for a foot roller. Just use a golf ball. Worked wonders for my wife.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 24, 2020 12:47PM
NEVER walk in shoes with bad support ever again - that was my take-away lesson. No more comfy sandals or cozy booties - not unless they have proper support.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 24, 2020 12:49PM
I've got it in one foot, after having it in the other foot for a long time. It seems as soon as the one healed, the other popped up.

Orthotics do help. I have some in my shoes now, but I think I need better ones, as it's not helping anymore. Wife had the cortisone shots for hers, and she said it really hurt. Doctor told her to always wear orthotics (she has custom ones), and ALWAYS wear shoes. He said going barefoot is the worst thing you can do.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 24, 2020 01:36PM
I had to wear a night splint boot at night for over 2 years to get rid of mine. Tried the shots. Now I never go barefooted and usually only wear New Balance 1540v2's outside found them on closeout cheap. I have some knock off birkenstock sandals I wear in the house.

Grateful11
Date: September 24, 2020 01:41PM
rz
I've got it in one foot, after having it in the other foot for a long time. It seems as soon as the one healed, the other popped up.

Orthotics do help. I have some in my shoes now, but I think I need better ones, as it's not helping anymore. Wife had the cortisone shots for hers, and she said it really hurt. Doctor told her to always wear orthotics (she has custom ones), and ALWAYS wear shoes. He said going barefoot is the worst thing you can do.

Ditto. My wife has been doing more WFH, and not wearing shoes. She is now wearing shoes at home with her orthotic insoles, and things are getting better already.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 24, 2020 03:21PM
jdc
PF is not an old persons maladay, fwiw.

My advice: shoes with good arches and stretch your feet before waking up. My bout with it was in my late 30s -- seemed to be all about my shoes.

This.
Good arch support is key to relieving the pain. Also, don’t go barefoot a lot. You need to wear shoes for the support.

Mine started to flare back up after I had to quit my job because of Covid and was at home so much and walking around without shoes.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 03:24PM by rgG.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 24, 2020 05:56PM
Piling on....its all about the arch support. Good shoes or by the Dr Scholls inserts for PF.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: jh
Date: September 24, 2020 06:49PM
My doctor recommended these a few years ago and they have worked well for me. Bought several pairs for all my shoes and they have been great.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 24, 2020 07:15PM
.....where are the millennials chiming in with plantar advice......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 24, 2020 07:33PM
I've never had plantar fasciitis and hope I never do.

But very early on, I somehow discovered third-party (didn't know the term back then) arch supports felt great!

I think I was going for the cushioning, but the high arch just felt— really good.

So that's how I - walk - now.

But not like an Egyptian.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 24, 2020 08:55PM
I had it some years ago. It was absolutely brutal. Throwing out all of my old shoes, buying high quality new ones, and stretching exercises got me through the misery and back to healthy feet. I've also heard that it is much more difficult to get past it if you're overweight, though this wasn't the problem for me. Good luck!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 24, 2020 09:46PM
I used to get regular foot pain. About three years ago, I tried a "Good Feet" store. WOW! What a difference! After being assessed, I bout three pairs of shoes along with Good Feet inserts. I haven't experienced a day of foot pain since. I went to the Good Feet Store in Tucson, AZ. There are no Good Feet Stores where I currently am in TN. When I find another Good Feet Store, I'll get assessed again and, buy at least one new pair of shoes. old fogey smiley
Date: September 25, 2020 08:30AM
If I were dealing with PF again, I would try these customized insoles - here's a kiosk locator:

[www.drscholls.com]
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 25, 2020 10:33AM
I swear by Birkenstock shoes and sandals for arch support.

Here are the styles of Birki clogs I wear around the house to protect my plantar fascia from the brutal floors (oak parquet over cement):

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020