advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I can believe it's not butter. A question for consumers of real butter...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 25, 2020 08:19AM
The non-butter oil one gets at some theaters tastes more like butter than this stuff Fabio hawks.

It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't really taste like butter, either.

Challenge brand whipped butter is what i usually buy because it's spreadable after several minutes at room temperature, where sticks of butter take longer.

But Safeway was OOS of my goto so I got ICBINB, because the two little tubs actual fit in the fridge door's butter/spread compartment.

So, butter people, do you keep butter in the fridge until meal time, or let it out in the morning, and put it back at night?

Does it stay out until it's gone because it because of high consumption?

I've decided life is too short for margarine and other counterfeit butter products.

I just don't want to have put it on the chopping block to use, or have it go bad if not kept in the fridge.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I can believe it's not butter. A question for consumers of real butter...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 25, 2020 08:21AM
I put my real butter back in the fridge, otherwise it is too soft.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 25, 2020 08:36AM
Real butter lasts a long time in the ambient temperature. Salted butter lasts longer than unsalted butter. We keep our ceramic butter dish on the kitchen countertop. covered. If it's left on the kitchen table there is a Very Bad Kitten that will happily knock the cover off and have a feast.

Historically butter has been a long lasting trade item.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 25, 2020 08:41AM
cbelt3
Real butter lasts a long time in the ambient temperature. Salted butter lasts longer than unsalted butter. We keep our ceramic butter dish on the kitchen countertop. covered. If it's left on the kitchen table there is a Very Bad Kitten that will happily knock the cover off and have a feast.

Historically butter has been a long lasting trade item.

i keep my salted butter on the kitchen counter year round.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2020 08:44AM by graylocks.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 25, 2020 08:44AM
....watch the butter scene in 'Last Tango in Paris'........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 25, 2020 08:49AM
fridge before and after use.
grass fed, when possible, except for baking. Then it's TJs unsalted.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 25, 2020 09:04AM
We have a covered butter dish we keep out with enough in for toast or a waffle in the AM. When it runs out, we add more from the fridge.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 25, 2020 09:05AM
one of many googled entries in The Butter Debate

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 25, 2020 09:24AM
1. Even regular butter takes a long time to spoil.

2. There are many ways of storing butter outside of the fridge.

3. You want flavor? You want long-lasting? BUY GHEE--the Indian name for clarified butter-which is butter melted and the non-fatty components settle out. This stuff is amazing. You can also clarify butter yourself.

This one looks decent; you can also find at your local Whole Foods or health food store:
[www.amazon.com]

4. IMHO, butter from grass-fed cows is significantly healthier. In the olden days, some doctors used concentrated butter oil from grass-fed cows as medicine, because it had high proportions of nutrients such as Vitamin K.

Enjoy!
Posted by: d4
Date: September 25, 2020 09:28AM
When I use butter for my kids' toast/bagels I bring it out and back into the fridge. We just don't use it enough to have it cluttering up the kitchen countertop. It's been months since I last ate butter. I've been low/no carbing it recently, so no need for spreading it on anything for myself.

I used to LOVE butter and sprinkled white sugar on a toasted Thomas English muffin. I remember my dad doing it when I was a kid. I think of him whenever I have it.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 25, 2020 09:36AM
I get unsalted sticks, while still wrapped they are refrigerated, once ready for use a stick is on the counter 24/7 until gone. A pound lasts us 2-3 weeks

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 25, 2020 09:39AM
We keep salted butter out in a covered butter dish nearly year round. The only exception is the dead of Summer when it can get quite warm in the house. (no A/C).

We tend to keep butter in the fridge when temps get unreasonably high. Like this past Summer, where it was above average high temps for a few months.

We use enough butter daily, so no worries of it becoming rancid.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: davester
Date: September 25, 2020 10:50AM
We keep it in a covered butter dish on the counter except during heat waves over about 90F. During those it hides in the fridge.

We generally buy Kerrygold irish butter which is from grass fed cows and has higher butterfat content than American butter. Because of that it's not only tastier, it's naturally yellow and spreads much more easily, even if refrigerated.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 25, 2020 10:53AM
Wow, I had no idea butter could be happy outside the fridge for so long!

Thank's for all the information.

Would wrapped sticks left in the fridge last a month, maybe two?

I think that's what it would take for me to go through a pound.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 25, 2020 11:10AM
I use mayo for sandwiches, where my mom would have used butter. It takes me ten months to use a pound of butter and two months to use a jar of mayo.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 25, 2020 11:19AM
RAMd®d

The guidelines say at least a month after the "sell-by" date marked on the package. After that the butter is still usable, but the texture and taste can start to change. Salted butter stores better and stays good longer. Leave the wrapped sticks in the carton, store in the main part of the refrigerator compartment, not the butter compartment on the door.

Butter can be stored safely almost indefinitely if frozen, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil or place in a heavy duty freezer bag. Unsalted butter will start to have texture changes after about 6 months, salted after about a year.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 25, 2020 11:52AM
davester
We keep it in a covered butter dish on the counter except during heat waves over about 90F. During those it hides in the fridge.

We generally buy Kerrygold irish butter which is from grass fed cows and has higher butterfat content than American butter. Because of that it's not only tastier, it's naturally yellow and spreads much more easily, even if refrigerated.

Kerrygold Irish butter is THE BOMB. Last time I checked, my local Costco carries it.

It is what it is.
Date: September 25, 2020 11:53AM
RAMd®d
Wow, I had no idea butter could be happy outside the fridge for so long!

Thank's for all the information.

I think that's what it would take for me to go through a pound.

Absolutely. I buy the 4-pound Kirkland-brand butter at Costco and it keeps in the fridge just fine.

I also keep in-use butter in a ceramic butter thingee on my kitchen counter. Never had a problem with it going bad.

It is what it is.
Date: September 25, 2020 11:55AM
JoeH
RAMd®d

The guidelines say at least a month after the "sell-by" date marked on the package. After that the butter is still usable, but the texture and taste can start to change. Salted butter stores better and stays good longer. Leave the wrapped sticks in the carton, store in the main part of the refrigerator compartment, not the butter compartment on the door.

Butter can be stored safely almost indefinitely if frozen, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil or place in a heavy duty freezer bag. Unsalted butter will start to have texture changes after about 6 months, salted after about a year.

Who buys unsalted butter? smiley-signs006

It is what it is.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 25, 2020 12:05PM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeH
RAMd®d

People who make pastry and other baked goods that use butter. Also for sauces, sometime you don't want as much salt as part of the seasoning.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 25, 2020 12:07PM
JoeH
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeH
RAMd®d

People who make pastry and other baked goods that use butter. Also for sauces, sometime you don't want as much salt as part of the seasoning.

Yep

You can always add salt to something, but you can't remove it.
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 25, 2020 12:27PM
A local organic farm sells limited quantities of real butter, so much more flavor than the commercial kind.
Date: September 25, 2020 12:28PM
freeradical
JoeH
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeH
RAMd®d

Yep

You can always add salt to something, but you can't remove it.

....yup....unsalted....

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 25, 2020 12:52PM
THIS!!!! Trader Joe’s carries it around here.

N-OS X-tasy!
davester

Kerrygold Irish butter is THE BOMB. Last time I checked, my local Costco carries it.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 25, 2020 01:11PM
We have 2 butter dishes on the counter. One with regular salted butter and one with Kerrygold Irish butter. We only use Kerrygold for "pure" things like buttered toast because it's pretty expensive. If there's anything else going on it (syrup, jam, etc.) we use the regular salted butter. We also keep unsalted in the refrig for baking. It comes out in the morning if we're going to bake something in the afternoon. We store it all in the freezer; I buy Kerrygold when Costco puts it on sale and we buy Land O Lakes half-sticks when Kroger puts them on sale. I've noticed that Aldi sells their own Irish butter; I'll probably buy some and try it.
Date: September 25, 2020 01:13PM
.....both Aldi and Lidl sell their Irish butter.....at prices much cheaper than Kerrygold.....

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 25, 2020 03:42PM
I keep salted and unsalted uncovered on the counter 24/7. It is gone in less than 3 days. None has much taste except Kerry Gold is about 10% better but costs twice as much. I sautée almost everything in butter and olive oil, and bacon grease if I have it.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 25, 2020 05:24PM
I buy Kerry Gold which is a softer whipped butter. Butter is kept in the fridge until I’m going to use.
Date: September 25, 2020 06:10PM
Here, too.

anonymouse1
THIS!!!! Trader Joe’s carries it around here.

N-OS X-tasy!
davester

It is what it is.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 25, 2020 06:47PM
kerry is our reg. if you see it, try anchor from new zealand.
we like more, but very uncommon find. perhaps more in the midwest where their distributor is.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: September 25, 2020 08:44PM
....what about butt butter.....??

Posted by: rz
Date: September 26, 2020 12:11PM
My in-laws go through a stick of butter in a day or two. When they come to visit, they go through a pound of butter (4 sticks) in a week or less.

On the other hand, we go through about one stick of butter every few months. We keep it in the fridge.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: September 26, 2020 03:30PM
In the fridge, except in winter. And yes, love unsalted best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020