advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Want to go faster with your Tesla Model Y? Can do - for $2000...
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 25, 2020 02:57PM
An interesting business plan.

Imagine if Apple were to charge $$ for a Mac OS update that meant your machine would run 20% faster. Would you pay for it?

Well, for the latest EV, 'Tesla is launching a $2,000 ‘Acceleration Boost’ upgrade for Model Y Dual Motor AWD vehicles — shaving half a second off the 0 to 60 mph acceleration.'

[electrek.co]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Want to go faster with your Tesla Model Y? Can do - for $2000...
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 25, 2020 03:02PM
“ For a few years now, Tesla started selling vehicles with upgradable software-locked capabilities, like 75 kWh battery pack software-locked at 60 kWh, or higher power outputs enabled through software updates.”

Yeah, interesting.
Date: September 25, 2020 03:04PM
btfc
“ For a few years now, Tesla started selling vehicles with upgradable software-locked capabilities, like 75 kWh battery pack software-locked at 60 kWh, or higher power outputs enabled through software updates.”

Yeah, interesting.

Apple sold the Mac IIsi, where they underclocked the CPU by 20% to be sure it has lower performance to the more expensive IIci.

I know people who reversed this hardware hack to get an instant performance upgrade.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 25, 2020 03:06PM
My problem with these "unlocks" is the confusion it creates in regards to selling the car.

Is the Acceleration Boost a one time purchase tied to the car, for the life of the car?

Or is it only applicable to the original purchaser and to the car it was purchased for? I.e. if you sell the car, the new owner doesn't get it b/c they didn't buy it, and if it was tied to the car, the old owner doesn't get to keep it either.

This has been an actual problem with used Teslas, where features we would expect to be installed b/c that's how the car shipped, are stripped from the car (remotely) b/c the "new" owner didn't pay for them, even though they bought the used car with those features "installed" at the time of purchase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2020 03:07PM by Gareth.
Date: September 25, 2020 03:17PM
Gareth
My problem with these "unlocks" is the confusion it creates in regards to selling the car.

Is the Acceleration Boost a one time purchase tied to the car, for the life of the car?

Or is it only applicable to the original purchaser and to the car it was purchased for? I.e. if you sell the car, the new owner doesn't get it b/c they didn't buy it, and if it was tied to the car, the old owner doesn't get to keep it either.

This has been an actual problem with used Teslas, where features we would expect to be installed b/c that's how the car shipped, are stripped from the car (remotely) b/c the "new" owner didn't pay for them, even though they bought the used car with those features "installed" at the time of purchase.

Who sells their Tesla? Seriously, the one example that was posted online was a mistake by Tesla. That was bad PR.

My biggest issue is that there should be a window of time after getting the car where such updates should come with the price of the car. Even one year would make sense to me. But I guess new buyers have to get this, too - so it's truly a software upgrade.

My wife has one, and she has no buyer's remorse over not getting the 'Performance' package. She already budgets speeding tickets because she looks up and realizes she's doing 80...
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 25, 2020 03:21PM
sekker
Apple sold the Mac IIsi, where they underclocked the CPU by 20% to be sure it has lower performance to the more expensive IIci.

I know people who reversed this hardware hack to get an instant performance upgrade.

I think that's a bit different, Apple was buying parts from Motorola that were, packaged, labeled, tested, priced, and sold at that lower clock rate, but Motorola's yield was getting so good that the low bin parts were typically equivalent to the higher clock rate parts, but there was no guarantee that they would work at a higher clock rate, and Apple wasn't underclocking them.

I had once seen a IIfx that had it's CPU replaced with a 68030 stamped as 16MHz in it running at 40MHz.
Posted by: timg
Date: September 25, 2020 04:33PM
next thing you know, they will implement a licensing server that every car has to ping before it will move.

"I'm sorry, you can't go on the highway. You only paid for City driving."

"Click here to upgrade for a fee of $5000"

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: September 25, 2020 04:44PM
GGD
sekker

I think that's a bit different, Apple was buying parts from Motorola that were, packaged, labeled, tested, priced, and sold at that lower clock rate, but Motorola's yield was getting so good that the low bin parts were typically equivalent to the higher clock rate parts, but there was no guarantee that they would work at a higher clock rate, and Apple wasn't underclocking them.

I had once seen a IIfx that had it's CPU replaced with a 68030 stamped as 16MHz in it running at 40MHz.

Not quite true. I helped a good friend with his IIsi. The label on the CPU in the IIsi MOBO was rated for the faster speed, and was the same part in my IIci. Whether Motorola was providing faster chips at lower prices to Apple, I have no idea. But this was not an overclocking phenomena at all.

ADDED: Fun 2019 video on this very same modification. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2020 04:50PM by sekker.
Date: September 25, 2020 04:46PM
timg
next thing you know, they will implement a licensing server that every car has to ping before it will move.

I may be critical, but I think this is hyperbole. The auto industry DOES have rules to prevent them listing pricing for a car without tires, etc. I see no way Tesla could offer a car that did not have the features it was advertised.

But what IS true is that the new EVs are Smart Cars. Adding function via software updates (for a price) is going to be more than just adding media content.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 25, 2020 06:09PM
sekker
Not quite true. I helped a good friend with his IIsi. The label on the CPU in the IIsi MOBO was rated for the faster speed, and was the same part in my IIci. Whether Motorola was providing faster chips at lower prices to Apple, I have no idea. But this was not an overclocking phenomena at all.

I watched that video, they guy states that the CPU on the board is only rated at 20MHz, and all he is changing is the clock speed to OVERCLOCK it.

With some searching I found some pictures of a IIsi logic board where you can read the part number on the CPU, and it says MC68030FE20B, that 20 at the end means 20MHz. That's what Moto says it's rated at. And as I said, given their fab yield it's possible that they weren't producing any that were actually that slow, but they were still packaging and selling them as 20MHz.

[d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net]
[imgur.com]
[i1.wp.com]
[www.cpu-world.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2020 06:16PM by GGD.
Date: September 25, 2020 06:28PM
GGD
sekker

I watched that video, they guy states that the CPU on the board is only rated at 20MHz, and all he is changing is the clock speed to OVERCLOCK it.

With some searching I found some pictures of a IIsi logic board where you can read the part number on the CPU, and it says MC68030FE20B, that 20 at the end means 20MHz. That's what Moto says it's rated at. And as I said, given their fab yield it's possible that they weren't producing any that were actually that slow, but they were still packaging and selling them as 20MHz.

[d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net]
[imgur.com]
[i1.wp.com]
[www.cpu-world.com]

I believe you!
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 25, 2020 07:21PM
My estate will worry about the resell and I really don’t need to shave a half second off the 0-60. It’s fast enough as is for me.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 25, 2020 08:37PM
Lizabeth
My estate will worry about the resell and I really don’t need to shave a half second off the 0-60. It’s fast enough as is for me.

No, no, no, you can never be fast enough from 0-60. Just ask any teenager.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 25, 2020 11:39PM
A fool and his money...
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 26, 2020 10:24AM
timg

With no gas tax at every fill, you might get hit with a yearly fee eventually.
Date: September 26, 2020 01:49PM
Carm
timg

My wife and I would be fine with this. We use the roads using our EVs, happy to pay our part.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: September 26, 2020 03:52PM
There were a few models of Mustangs . You had to pay more for a key that unlocked more performance from the onboard computer .
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 27, 2020 06:27AM
sekker
Carm
timg

My wife and I would be fine with this. We use the roads using our EVs, happy to pay our part.

Same here. Except with my PHEV there is no EV ‘road tax‘ like the $75 our state charges when an owner pays the annual car registration.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 28, 2020 07:55AM
This has been around for a while. You could upgrade your model 3 this way.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020