advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Home Improvement: Fan Install
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 25, 2020 07:57PM
Need a fan and a light in the dining room. Right now there are no lights and no fan, just a lamp in the corner. Going to have to install a ceiling box and put in wiring as well.

Above the room is the master bedroom, which is carpeted. Trying to decide if I want to tear up the bedroom floor to install the box from an easier vantage point or if I want to just tackle it from the floor below in the ceiling.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Home Improvement: Fan Install
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 25, 2020 08:03PM
Have you thought about using a remodel box for fans? As long as you can run the wire where you need it, you shouldn't have to tear in too much.

Remodel box
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 25, 2020 08:07PM
macphanatic
Have you thought about using a remodel box for fans? As long as you can run the wire where you need it, you shouldn't have to tear in too much.

Remodel box

I’ve used those before, makes the job easier. Not tearing up anything is nice.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 25, 2020 08:56PM
Fish ROMEX wire along the ceiling joists from the corner light fixture, and use a remodel box for the mounting point.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 25, 2020 09:45PM
What I've learned from running ethernet will apply here, except you have less flexibility location wise - most of your work will involve cutting and patching drywall. You might consider a 3 way switch depending upon the door configuration for the room. The sooner you admit that it will be messy the sooner you'll get started.

Date: September 25, 2020 10:10PM
mattkime
What I've learned from running ethernet will apply here, except you have less flexibility location wise - most of your work will involve cutting and patching drywall. You might consider a 3 way switch depending upon the door configuration for the room. The sooner you admit that it will be messy the sooner you'll get started.

I actually was looking at the room and the dining room is really part of the entry way, there is no real barrier. There is a 3 way for the entry way light by the front door. I think I am just going to tie the fan into that light. Need to brush up on how fans are wired as I do want the ability to have the fan running while the lights are off.

C(-)ris
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 25, 2020 10:37PM
220, 221, whatever it takes. =)

[www.youtube.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 26, 2020 06:44AM
C(-)ris
mattkime

I actually was looking at the room and the dining room is really part of the entry way, there is no real barrier. There is a 3 way for the entry way light by the front door. I think I am just going to tie the fan into that light. Need to brush up on how fans are wired as I do want the ability to have the fan running while the lights are off.

Do you want to be able to control each via a wall switch or at the fan itself? The first will require two switched hot wires. The later will only require one. Using three way switches for either may significantly complicate the wiring.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 26, 2020 06:45AM
You should get a remote control with the ceiling fan you purchase. It can control the fan speeds and the light on/off.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Cary
Date: September 26, 2020 07:35AM
Points already made are spot on:

If the fan location falls within a joist bay (between 2 joists) use a ceiling fan remodel box. If it falls under a joist, use a steel pancake box screwed into the joist.

Most new fans come with a remote - you don't have to wire anything but power. Some of the remotes are wall mountable, and made to look like wall switches. You can add one of these to most fans - much easier than running wires.

If you want to control the light from a switch, you can wire that separately. If you want to control the fan from a switch, you have to wire that separately from the light, also. You'll need 3 wires plus ground at the fan location, and switch location - power for fan, power for light, neutral, and ground.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 26, 2020 08:09AM
fans like Hunter will come with remotes and instructions for 2 switches (fan & light) and 3 way switch wiring.
The Hunters (and others by now) come with an integrated yet hidden hanger that makes the job an easy 1 man with a ladder.
My spouse didn't hear me swear during either fan install.

Turn the breaker off, so that you can post again.
Tape the wire nuts to the wire with etape.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 26, 2020 08:17AM
You will most likely use that ceiling fan multiple times every day for the rest of your life spent in the house. Don't cheap out or cut corners to save yourself a bit of money, time, or headache now. You'll regret it October 26, 2020 — a month from now.

"Right now there are no lights and no fan, just a lamp in the corner."

Have you considered recessed can lights along with the ceiling fan? Now is the time to do it, if you're going to make a mess anyway. 1-switch for the fan. 1-switch for the fan light. 1-switch for the recessed can lights for the times you may need extra light.

They make these super long flexible drill and wire fishing things. So it may be less invasive, messy and destructive than you envision.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 26, 2020 08:41AM
Maybe the room above could really benefit from new carpet. The next owner will appreciate the ceiling light they install, after ripping out the fan.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 26, 2020 02:41PM
I'd do it from below. I think d4's suggestion is a good one. You might get away with minimal repairs needed to the sheetrock.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 26, 2020 03:56PM
C(-)ris
I actually was looking at the room and the dining room is really part of the entry way, there is no real barrier.

We're probably talking past each other but I'd like to see a few pics of the install process.

All of the obstacles I'm imagining are behind sheetrock.

Date: October 01, 2020 11:36PM
mattkime
C(-)ris
I actually was looking at the room and the dining room is really part of the entry way, there is no real barrier.

We're probably talking past each other but I'd like to see a few pics of the install process.

All of the obstacles I'm imagining are behind sheetrock.

It's gonna be fun. My wife is pushing me to do it. I'm going to start measuring to find the center of the room and then drill a 2" hole to see what is above. Unfortunately, despite a recent remodel they left some old wiring in place and this is one of those places. Going to have to decide how much work I want to do.

I'm using Belkin WeMos everywhere and I'd like to be able to control the lights and fans separately.

C(-)ris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020