advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New Lightroom vs Lightroom Classic - whaddaya like?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 26, 2020 07:27AM
Since retiring I gave up my company owned Adobe CC subscription and have been using my own CS 6 suite. I’ve never bothered with Lightroom, which I previously owned, preferring to work in Photoshop and manage my own files in Finder and sometimes Bridge. Recently some of my art project files have grown to over 2 GB and my aging 4,1 Mac Pro has been struggling to keep up.

I picked up a CC Photoshop 2020 subscription for my new Mac Pro and since it comes with Lightroom, thought I’d try it again. Looking for opinions regarding the new version which I know nothing about, vs Lightroom Classic, which I’m a little familiar with.

TIA

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New Lightroom vs Lightroom Classic - whaddaya like?
Date: September 26, 2020 09:18AM
Well I just found one difference. Luminar 4 can be used as a plugin in Lightroom Classic but not in the new Lightroom.

JoeM
Posted by: archipirata
Date: September 26, 2020 09:18AM
The two products have very different purposes and uses.

Lightroom Classic is the lightroom you remember. Basically a raw processor and image catalog for working on local files (although it does have cloud sharing capability).

The "new" lightroom seems to be a cloud centric image processing and sharing application, and it lacks some of the familiar features of regular Lightroom but has some features that classic doesn't.

I tried out the new Lightroom and within minutes knew it wasn't a match for my needs and workflow so I stick with classic.

I suggest checking the new one out since both are part of the subscription to see which meets your needs.

Athens, OH
Date: September 26, 2020 09:43AM
archipirata
The two products have very different purposes and uses.

Lightroom Classic is the lightroom you remember. Basically a raw processor and image catalog for working on local files (although it does have cloud sharing capability).

The "new" lightroom seems to be a cloud centric image processing and sharing application, and it lacks some of the familiar features of regular Lightroom but has some features that classic doesn't.

I tried out the new Lightroom and within minutes knew it wasn't a match for my needs and workflow so I stick with classic.

I suggest checking the new one out since both are part of the subscription to see which meets your needs.

Thanks, I downloaded both so I'll take a look. I'm not interested in cloud applications so I will probably wind up using Classic like you, especially since it allows Luminar as a plugin. At this point I have Photoshop, Luminar, Aurora HDR, On1 Photo RAW and Affinity Photo but I mostly use Photoshop with some of the others as plugins.

JoeM
Posted by: August West
Date: September 26, 2020 01:16PM
JoeM, I'm not recalling your retirement, so since I missed it, I wish you the best, and have no doubt you left a legacy of a job well done behind you!

Date: September 26, 2020 04:35PM
August West
JoeM, I'm not recalling your retirement, so since I missed it, I wish you the best, and have no doubt you left a legacy of a job well done behind you!

August West: thank you so much for your kind words! I retired about 2 1/2 yrs ago from a very hectic but rewarding position that I had for 16 yrs. I'm totally happy to step back and am enjoying watching the flowers grow immensely. smiley-signs001

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020