advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ebay charged sales tax on the shipping cost
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 26, 2020 11:04PM
That doesn't seem right. Or have I just not been paying attention?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ebay charged sales tax on the shipping cost
Posted by: ADent
Date: September 26, 2020 11:13PM
Shipping costs are taxable in many states.

What state are you in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2020 11:13PM by ADent.
Date: September 26, 2020 11:30PM
Michigan.

Posted by: ArtP
Date: September 27, 2020 12:08AM
I noticed that about 6 months ago. In Michigan also - REALLY SUCKS.

Remember a long time ago people used to sell expensive items for a $1 and charge $100 shipping and handling? I guess it was eBays answer to that but people don't do that much anymore.

I wish there was a way to do a Class Action lawsuit for that - makes no sense to charge sales tax on a SERVICE.

I have been looking at Amazon more (No Prime) but some of the better deals are sometimes on eBay
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 27, 2020 02:17AM
I guess it was eBays answer to that but people don't do that much anymore.

I don't think it was eBay's doing.

They're just following orders, is my guess.

Remember, a lot of online retailers never charged sales tax at all, if they didn't have a physical presence in one's state.

Sales tax was still supposed to be paid, in the states having it, but it was up to the buyer not the seller, to pay the tax.

AMZ never charged me sales tax.

Now, all online vendors charge sales tax where appropriate, because they're required.

I remember years ago, seeing complaints about sales tax being charged on shipping, but don't remember any outcome.

From now on, at least for awhile, if I'm honest, I'll watch my purchases where shipping is charged to see if it's taxed.

If it happened to me, ebay would certainly be contacted for an explanation.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 27, 2020 02:54AM
Sales/use tax on services like shipping depend on which state, some include it in the taxable amount and others do not. In Michigan it is chargeable according to this FAQ - [www.michigan.gov]
And in unrelated news...
Date: September 27, 2020 05:10AM
It still bugs me that most if not all online merchants, vendors, retailers, etc., charge credit and debit cards as soon as you place the order (or an instant thereafter).

I'm not talking about the $1 or full price temporary charge (to test the card number?) but the charge that is placed and never lifted because the above will eventually ship your order.

I have seem some vendors advertise or mention 'your card will not be charged until your order is shipped' etc.

I don't recall if B&H typically charges right away, but if the item is on backorder, they don't charge the card.

That must be true of some other vendors as well.

Anyway, it bugs me.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 27, 2020 05:55AM
eBay charges tax on things that are not taxable in my state like U.S. postage stamps. Also, if you have an eBay coupon, eBay charges sales tax on the pre-coupon price which is also illegal in my state (eBay should apply the coupon first, then tax the remainder).

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: And in unrelated news...
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 27, 2020 08:35AM
question for the OP:

if they are required to charge sales tax on this service, have you not noticed this before?
Posted by: DP
Date: September 27, 2020 08:57AM
Funny this just came up!

I bought a book-yes! a book, no batteries!-from Amazon and noticed that they had added the shipping to the cost before they calculated the tax!

By doing that, Amazon makes, what? 10-15¢? Well, multiply that by the millions of sales everyday...

I don't know if it's legal but I think they need to answer for this.

if they are required to charge sales tax on this service, have you not noticed this before?

Well, I hadn't. I guess I just assumed Amazon wouldn't do anything like that RollingEyesSmiley5

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 27, 2020 10:19AM
If they collect it, whether or not they were supposed to, they should be turning all they gather over to the state. Amazon can't pocket sales tax "mistakes"-- that would be major fraud.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 27, 2020 05:02PM
Sales tax on stuff already taxed sucks. Thinking eBay here. They should give the tax exempt seller the option of already paid vs charge customer.
Date: September 27, 2020 05:26PM
JoeH
Sales/use tax on services like shipping depend on which state, some include it in the taxable amount and others do not. In Michigan it is chargeable according to this FAQ - [www.michigan.gov]

Thanks. Leave it to someone out of state to tell me the laws in my state. wink smiley

So Michigan law does require sales/use tax to be charged for shipping. I think that is wrong, but my beef is with the state and ebay is only doing what the state requires.

Date: September 27, 2020 05:28PM
space-time
question for the OP:

No, I had not noticed it before. I don't know if it is a recent change or I just didn't notice before. Obviously, it wouldn't be apparent on items with free shipping.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 27, 2020 06:33PM
Carm
Sales tax on stuff already taxed sucks. Thinking eBay here. They should give the tax exempt seller the option of already paid vs charge customer.

Most sales/use taxes are on the transaction, not the actual "stuff". So basically the state is getting a piece of the action each time something changes hands and money is exchanged.
Date: September 27, 2020 06:55PM
By doing that, Amazon makes, what? 10-15¢? Well, multiply that by the millions of sales everyday...

This presumes that AMZ is deliberately charging tax on shipping and they only paying the tax on the item.

That should be easy to prove.

they should be turning all they gather over to the state. Amazon can't pocket sales tax "mistakes"-- that would be major fraud.

Exactly.

I'll have to start watching my transactions, and find out if taxing shipping charges is legal for CA.

That implies (or maybe I just infer) that you calculate charges down to the penny on most if not all transactions?

I don't unless something jumps out, so 10-15¢ here or there, especially since 99% of my online purchasing involves free shipping, goes unnoticed.

I'd estimate that over the last decade, if I paid 25¢ more than I should for every non-free shipping item, I'd be out a saw-buck at most.

Even my 27" iMac was shipped free.

Well, free as in it was included somewhere in the purchase price.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Carm
Date: September 27, 2020 07:50PM
JoeH
Carm

Most sales/use taxes are on the transaction, not the actual "stuff". So basically the state is getting a piece of the action each time something changes hands and money is exchanged.

Yeah, just like PayPal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020