advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not a bad experience with Windows 10
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 27, 2020 08:51PM
I use Windows 10 at work every day. And Linux. And macOS.

I never owned a Windows PC. I just built one (I posted the config last week). I installed a fresh copy of windows, and it allowed me to use an older key to activate it. The install was quick and smooth, kids are already playing some games.

Windows used to be buggy, difficult to patch and maintain, etc. It has come a very long way.

MacOS no longer has that high advantage over Windows and Linux. They are all pretty good these days.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not a bad experience with Windows 10
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 27, 2020 09:04PM
Just wait until you get cryptic error messages any time you try to open a folder. It’s happened to me on two of my three Win10 computers. The only thing that works is resetting Windows...until it happens again.

At least they’ll boot without crashing. Big Sur won’t for me.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 27, 2020 09:19PM
as I said, I use win10 at work and never had that kind of issue you mentioned.

In fact I find it to be just as stable as macOS.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 27, 2020 09:42PM
Win 10 works okay, but the amount of protective crap and patches you have to deal with is staggering. And, as always, updating drivers is a PAIN.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 27, 2020 10:09PM
The worst part of Win10 is updates that they haven't properly tested. At least twice in the last two years they have halted/pulled-back updates that have borked users systems. I desperately wish there was a permanent setting to delay downloading updates (except for zero day exploit patches) for 5 - 15 days to let users pick a day in the future when they are not in the middle of and essential project, have the machine crash and get futtbucked by an updated that disables your computer at the worst time possible.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 27, 2020 10:10PM
I see irregular system and app behaviors all the time on my Win 10 work PC. Two examples:
  • Sometimes the arrow keys on my keyboard work, sometimes they don’t. A reboot always fixes the problem, so it’s not defective keys. Furthermore, sometimes they will start working again even without a restart.
  • The width of the leftmost pane in MS Outlook 365 regularly resets itself.
The Mac still reigns supreme for me.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 27, 2020 11:02PM
As to my recent attempts to institute parental controls on my Mac vs using Microsoft Family Safety, Apple has major problems, so major in fact that I'm looking into getting a PC for my kid's use of Google classroom.

Also, I can count on one hand the times that Windows 7 Pro let me down in about 6 years of use.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 27, 2020 11:05PM
mrbigstuff
Also, I can count on one hand the times that Windows 7 Pro let me down in about 6 years of use.

Win 7 was more reliable than either Win 8 or Win 10.

It is what it is.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 28, 2020 12:01AM
I use Win10 at work. There's a massive tech staff, the machines are largely locked down, and I get mysterious slowdowns about 2-8 times per day, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 28, 2020 04:53AM
Filliam H. Muffman
The worst part of Win10 is updates that they haven't properly tested. At least twice in the last two years they have halted/pulled-back updates that have borked users systems. I desperately wish there was a permanent setting to delay downloading updates (except for zero day exploit patches) for 5 - 15 days to let users pick a day in the future when they are not in the middle of and essential project, have the machine crash and get futtbucked by an updated that disables your computer at the worst time possible.

You can apparently turn off automatic updates permanently or for a certain number of days after release in Windows 10 Pro by using the Local Group Policy Editor: [www.windowscentral.com]

I haven't done this so I don't know if it actually works.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 28, 2020 07:58AM
......come to my.....Window......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 28, 2020 09:35AM
I recently had a driver update that would would blue-screen my computer upon reboot. It would automatically recover to a previous pre-driver state, reboot, detect that it was missing the driver and re-install it. It took some mental gymnastics to figure out how to break that cycle and block the update from downloading.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 28, 2020 09:37AM
Michael
Filliam H. Muffman

You can apparently turn off automatic updates permanently or for a certain number of days after release in Windows 10 Pro by using the Local Group Policy Editor: [www.windowscentral.com]

I haven't done this so I don't know if it actually works.

Turning off automatic updates doesn't really work in the long run, some update or another will kill that setting when you run them manually or through remote management. If updates aren't run, after a period Windows starts putting up nag notices and eventually turns off the license.

Even with organization policies in place to run selected updates at certain times Windws update has problems. One I saw at work was with the notification screen that updates were ready to be applied. That could lock up a system so nothing worked short of doing a hard reset, no response to mouse or keyboard input.

An example was an older PC set up to do various tasks including having Outlook open to handle submitted request forms. They were sent as mail from a library catalog web form to handle some type of request that the regular catalog software did nit handle. All Outlook did was run a script on new messages in the Inbox, those with certain subjects were routed to be printed and the message moved to a folder.

If an update available notification banner was put up on the screen, after a period of time the system would just lock up. No forms would get printed, the only input that worked was logging in from the lock screen, and after that nothing was accepted. The IT people disabled the notifications, and things were fine for several months until the big update from MS this summer, and then the notifications were back on again. Back to locked up PC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 09:46AM by JoeH.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 28, 2020 09:44AM
-double post-\

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 09:45AM by JoeH.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020