advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best Value Cell Deals - What Do You Like Right Now?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 28, 2020 01:39AM
I'm looking at switching my plan. Currently on a Tmo mvno pre-paid $23.50/mo per line for 3gb data each. My wife will likely join me in the switch. We basically need about 5gb data each, although I think I can get by on 3 or 4gb. We stream a lot of music and podcasts on cell, and the Tmo Music Freedom has been helpful. Contenders at the moment:

Boom! Mobile:
- LTE 10gb data per line/unltd 2g after
- Unltd Talk n Text, VVM
- $19.92/month all in (no other fees) per line
- Unclear on internat'l features (guessing no), and if this is a one-year contract (seems like pay upfront), or just month to month
- Can choose Verizon, ATT or Tmo
- Note they also have a 5gb plan $20/month to month
- Assume no Music Freedom, etc
- HD Voice (VoLTE)
- WiFi Calling (not available on Verizon)
- HotSpot
- Visual Voicemail (iPhone)
- Visual Voicemail (Android/Windows)
- Link where I found this info

T-Mo Essential Unlimited 55
- LTE Unlimited TTD, doesn't throttle 'til <50gb
- Internat'l texting
- $27.50/line + taxes/fees
- Link that discusses these plans in detail

T-Mo Connect Prepaid
- LTE 2gb $15, 5gb $25 + taxes/fees, hard data cap (have to buy more if run out)
- Unlimited TnT
- Seems like not a great deal considering taxes/fees will be ~$5 to $7/month

Pretty sure both these Tmo plans include VVM, etc.

There's also an ATT mvno called Unreal that has an 8gb unltd plan for $20/mo. Yes on VVM, full speed. No domestic roaming, and other limitations.

Here's a giant spreadsheet I found online that is helpful. And here's the ss author's site that I have found pretty helpful and a little easier to navigate.

Open to other ideas. I'm on iPhone 5SE, I think it's GSM/ Verizon-optimized CDMA only (not Sprint) only. Wife has an iPhone 7 I think. Not sure if that phone works everywhere, but would like to avoid Sprint's network anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 01:39AM by SteveO.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best Value Cell Deals - What Do You Like Right Now?
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 28, 2020 04:43AM
For what it's worth, we were on Boom! for several years on the Verizon signal and it was fine. No problems that needed any help at any point. We shifted to Google Fi because of the international 4G data that comes with it. But, we're now spending almost $70 a month on Google Fi and that's only using between 2 and 3 GB of data a month. So, I'm going to shift to the TMobile old guy Magenta plan for $70/month when TMobile gives away the new iPhones--I imagine that won't be for a year from now since they've started giving away 11's recently. We'll sign up for the Magenta plan because it has international data at 2G levels. That should be enough to use maps and so on. Of course, who knows when we'll be able to start travelling internationally again...
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 28, 2020 07:17AM
It was weird. Back in the old days, we switched FROM Verizon to an MVNO b/c it was just a better deal. We stayed with PagePlus for quite a while. Over the years our usage remained mostly the same but the carriers changed. Eventually, we were paying about $60 for two users. Until last year when we switch from PagePlus BACK to Verizon. We're paying about $64 for two users now with the added bonus of being able to access wifi calling. Which is immensely helpful as cell reception sucks ass in our neighborhood. And at the time, that was unavailable through PagePlus.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 28, 2020 08:12AM
I've been on T-Mo biz for around a decade. It is more expensive and I'm tempted to go to 55 plan, but I have a cell spot at home as we have no signal here.
A little concerned that it might be disabled with the 55 plan or called home, as it's a "loaner" to my company.
I paid nothing for it, not even shipping, with the "loaner" understanding in the paperwork. But it is 5 yo, can't imagine T-Mo could be bothered recalling on a plan change, but policies change with expansion.

I'm 99% happy with T-Mo. Never got close with T, Vz or Splint.
But of course, that was a decade ago. YMMD. When I used to travel a lot, never had an issue, even in despot countries.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 28, 2020 11:50AM
Switched multiple lines from Cricket (AT&T) to Visible (Verizon) for unlimited talk/text/data.

Free unlimited hotspot, but LTE only...and no roaming off Verizon.

Adding 4 users to a "party" drops each line down from $40/month to $25/month...you can recruit strangers to your "party" via Reddit, otherwise 2 users in a "party" cost $35/month each line, 3 users $30/month each line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 11:51AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: carl
Date: September 28, 2020 12:45PM
My wife and I moved to Visible about two months ago. Paying $25/month for each account, filled our party of 4 in a couple hours using Reddit.

No problems so far and service has been very good, better than the ATT service we had prior
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 28, 2020 03:08PM
That Boom $19.92 offer looks so good I wonder if I'm misunderstanding something.

Date: September 28, 2020 10:23PM
Thanks, peeps.

Big yeah on the $19.92 offer. Looks like a sweet deal. And actually I was wrong -- it is not 10gb per line, it is the first 5gb is LTE, then unlimited which I assume is on 2g. Sorry my bad on the 10gb!! Still a pretty nice deal if you can get by on 5gb or less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 10:24PM by SteveO.
Posted by: clay
Date: September 28, 2020 11:01PM
Yeah, boom is good. Was with them for several years before the current xfinity mobile.
Date: October 02, 2020 11:35AM
clay
Yeah, boom is good. Was with them for several years before the current xfinity mobile.

Thanks for the info, I think I'm gonna give boom a shot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020