advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Garbage disposal seal leaking - replace seal or whole unit?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 28, 2020 10:35PM
Poll
Should I replace the disposal or the seal?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
12 votes were received.
Just the seal! Plenty of life in that thing! 4

33%
The whole thing! A new disposal will come with a new mount! 8

67%

I have a 3/4 hp Badger 900 garbage disposal thats started to leak from the seal with the sink. A closer inspection reveals that there's a fair amount of rust on the mounting hardware. I have no idea how old the unit is as it came with the house but the label doesn't show knowledge of the world wide web. Maybe garbage disposals are slow to change.

I've hunted down the components I need to refresh the seal. It'll come to about $30. When new models start at $100 (or less) I wonder if I should just buy new.

It works....fine? I dunno, maybe newer more expensive disposals are worth it but maybe its just marketing. Its not like I can take them for a test drive. Nicer ones appear to be >$200.

Do I spend the $30 to refresh the seal or should I just buy a whole new unit?

For those that have been following, yes, home ownership has been 'eventful' lately.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 10:41PM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Garbage disposal seal leaking - replace seal or whole unit?
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 28, 2020 10:42PM
Any guesses on the age of that disposal?

Just a guess (based on experience) but I'd suspect that the seal hardware is older than the disposal. Quite often that hardware is identical going from old to new and it's a whole lot easier to do the install by just reusing the old hardware. Somewhere in a landfill is the new hardware that came with that disposal.
Date: September 28, 2020 10:53PM
GGD
Any guesses on the age of that disposal?

ppppfffft....anywhere between 3 and 30 years? Seriously though, you know as well as I.

pics for the interested - [imgur.com]

The second pic is pretty bad but it shows that the flange body (lower portion) is plenty rusted. in theory it would be the newer part.

Posted by: davester
Date: September 28, 2020 10:59PM
It is probably far less work to just replace the seal than the whole thing. Also, I just went through a similar decision process and found that the Badgers are poorly rated so if you replace the thing you'll probably end up with a different brand and all the installation hassle that might entail. Also, how much do you actually use the disposal? For us, we compost all of our waste food and don't really use the disposal so it's pointless to buy a fancy one.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 28, 2020 11:04PM
I doubt that you can replace it in situ, so removing the disposal will be required either way. I replaced mine a similar model to what we had years ago, not fun, but if you are prepared with tools, etc, not awful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 11:05PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 28, 2020 11:32PM
Go new -- if it has any age on it the rubber you see from the sink its also bad as well. And full of gunk that just makes the sink smell.

If its 5 years old, for $100 its only cost $20 a year for something being used nearly every day... worth it.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 11:33PM by jdc.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: September 28, 2020 11:39PM
This says it was made in July 2014:
[support.insinkerator.com]

The odds are that when it was replaced, they just used the existing mount, hence the rust (which could also mean a leak above the mount at the actual sink interface). Badger models 900-1 have a 6-year warranty (and of course, it just expired)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 11:40PM by MikeF.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 29, 2020 12:07AM
Get a more powerful one.
1.25 hp American standard @ Costco. $99
[www.costco.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 29, 2020 12:21AM
Yes, spend the extra money and get the biggest baddest one they have. You don't want an anemic disposal. You want it to slam dunk every time.
Posted by: Bo
Date: September 29, 2020 12:43AM
Carm
Get a more powerful one.
1.25 hp American standard @ Costco. $99
[www.costco.com]

Just get a new one. We installed this exact model about 5 months ago. So far very happy. Plenty of power and much quieter than the previous unit. It also has a more pleasant spin up for lack of a better term.

It replaced a similarly powered Waste King thst functioned fine but was quite loud and had on abrupt/aggressive spin up. Then it started leaking after about 4-5 years.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 29, 2020 06:16AM
hope the sink is OK or you may end up with a larger project.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 29, 2020 06:49AM
Unfortunately the leak has gotten into the disposer . They are not designed to get wet. I would replace it. In fact I had a similar situation and replaced mine.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 29, 2020 07:29AM
Badger appears to be an Insinkerator brand. Popular Mechanics tested a few last year: best disposals

Or you could go Tim Allen (commercial grade), up to 3hp and roughly $2k. smiley-laughing001
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 29, 2020 07:30AM
Yes get a new one, and spend good money to get an insulated one. Some are so quiet you can hardly hear them run ... pretty much the exact opposite of the zillions installed in houses over the years that frighten animals and make the house sound like there’s an industrial factory in the kitchen. You’ll keep it for years, a decent investment.

OK now a story. When we moved in with the inlaws I was appalled that there was no disposer. It was like I no longer knew how to use the sink. Doesn’t it get clogged, like every day??

Turns out, the kitchen has a trash can. We put solids there, or some things out in the compost, and the small stuff that goes down the drain has never once clogged the pipes. We never put a disposer in.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 29, 2020 07:33AM
How much more life is that $30 refresh going to buy you? How soon are you willing tackle the same problem?

I think I would buy new and worry about the problem again in 10-15 years.

mattkime
I have a 3/4 hp Badger 900 garbage disposal thats started to leak from the seal with the sink. A closer inspection reveals that there's a fair amount of rust on the mounting hardware. I have no idea how old the unit is as it came with the house but the label doesn't show knowledge of the world wide web. Maybe garbage disposals are slow to change.

I've hunted down the components I need to refresh the seal. It'll come to about $30. When new models start at $100 (or less) I wonder if I should just buy new.

It works....fine? I dunno, maybe newer more expensive disposals are worth it but maybe its just marketing. Its not like I can take them for a test drive. Nicer ones appear to be >$200.

Do I spend the $30 to refresh the seal or should I just buy a whole new unit?

For those that have been following, yes, home ownership has been 'eventful' lately.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 29, 2020 08:43AM
mrbigstuff
I doubt that you can replace it in situ, so removing the disposal will be required either way. I replaced mine a similar model to what we had years ago, not fun, but if you are prepared with tools, etc, not awful.

To replace the seal you are basically removing the whole thing anyway, so yes I would recommend replacing. Only extra step would be to shut off power! and then attach power wires to new unit, although some have a plug, but not bad either way. And, as mentioned Badgers are kind of cheap. A more expensive model might last longer, but the real benefit is that they are quieter.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 29, 2020 11:59AM
If something is replaceable, replace it.

When devices have batteries that are user non-replaceable. DEALBREAKER!
When devices have user non-upgradable memory. DEALBREAKER!
When devices have a user replaceable washer/seal. Ehhh. Just throw the whole thing out and buy new. LOL

Come on man. That disposal is Made in USA with American Pride. Keep using it until 2064. patriot smiley

Posted by: norse
Date: September 29, 2020 01:15PM
Replace. Badger brands are notorious for rusting and leaking.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 29, 2020 01:16PM
I just got back from Lowe's.

With a InSinkErator Evolution 1-HP Continuous Feed Noise Insulation Garbage Disposal

I don't know what caliber ammo it takes. But it's continuous feed!
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 29, 2020 01:26PM
Hmmm...sounds like its time to remodel the kitchen.

Posted by: GGD
Date: September 29, 2020 01:26PM
Lux Interior
I just got back from Lowe's.

With a InSinkErator Evolution 1-HP Continuous Feed Noise Insulation Garbage Disposal

I don't know what caliber ammo it takes. But it's continuous feed!

Continuous feed might come in handy for one of those "Fargo woodchipper" situations.

What time are you heading over to matkime's to install it.
Date: September 29, 2020 02:07PM
I've ordered a InSinkErator-Evolution-Supreme 1 HP for $240 shipped (and new) from ebay
[www.homedepot.com]

I think its the top of the line from the previous generation. Should be a big step up from what we have.

There are a lot of algorithmic reviews on youtube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 02:56PM by mattkime.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 29, 2020 02:47PM
My Badger rusted through...I bet it's not just a seal.

At the time the above happened Waste King offered a better disposal than ISE for the same money so I went with them.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 29, 2020 04:45PM
mattkime
I've ordered a ...

Garbage Leader!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020