Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Has everyone moved to 2F authentication on iOS Apple ID
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 28, 2020 11:47PM
Poll
Have you activated 2F authentication on iOS?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
33 votes were received.
Yes, it’s great. 14

42%
No, it .... 12

36%
I can’t (old OS, work phone, etc...) 0

0%
I’m M A V I C 2

6%
Other, I’ll answer later. 4

12%
I don’t have an iPhone 1

3%

I’m upgrading to iOS 14 now and one problem is that it automatically turns on 2F authentication for your Apple ID. If you want it off, you have to change your password.
Has the process improved for getting authentication codes or is it still goofy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 12:18AM by Carm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Has everyone moved to 2F authentication on iPhone?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 29, 2020 12:02AM
2FA for what?

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 29, 2020 12:03AM
mattkime
2FA for what?

Yeah.

dunno smiley

Date: September 29, 2020 12:04AM
[support.apple.com]
Two-factor authentication for Apple ID
Re: Has everyone moved to 2F authentication on iOS Apple ID
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 29, 2020 12:26AM
Carm
I’m upgrading to iOS 14 now and one problem is that it automatically turns on 2F authentication for your Apple ID. If you want it off, you have to change your password.
Has the process improved for getting authentication codes or is it still goofy

Although it appears coercive, turning on 2FA is optional and you can back out right up until the point where it's enabled.

I don't know what you're talking about regarding being forced to change your password.

It's quirky, but generally works pretty smoothly. (Set up rescue email and phone numbers as a precaution. You can do so at appleid.apple.com.)

And you have 2 weeks to disable it if you don't like it. After that, it's permanent.

Date: September 29, 2020 12:28AM
When I clicked on the link to disable it on my iPad, it had me set up a new password.
I guess I should have gone through appleid.apple.com to disable it there.
Posted by: jonny
Date: September 29, 2020 12:30AM
Carm
When I clicked on the link to disable it on my iPad, it had me set up a new password.
Same thing happened to me on my iPhone.
Date: September 29, 2020 12:35AM
jonny
Carm
Same thing happened to me on my iPhone.

Yes it’s happened on wife’s iPhone and my iPad. It automatically turned on and didn’t ask if I wanted to turn it on..
Tried going through appleid.apple.com, no luck.
Following the link in the email they send letting you know you turned it on is one way to turn it off seems to be the only way to turn it off.
Edit: just updated phone. Same problem. Not asked to turn it on/off had to follow email link to turn it off. No option at Appleid.Apple.com
Now to update AppleTVs password again. emoticon-animal-022

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 12:51AM by Carm.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 29, 2020 03:59AM
2FA requires a phone number, right? What if you change phone numbers because you live in another country from time to time for months at a time?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 29, 2020 07:25AM
I have upgraded two iPads to iOS 14. You are given the option to opt out the first time your device comes back on after finishing the installation of the upgrade. It prompts you to agree to upgraded security at one of the screens. But there is tiny type that says “Other options” which you can click to turn down 2FA.

I had it briefly when I got my iPhone 7 and it was so painful that I disabled it. I was being prompted to enter a code on seemingly random devices for a multitude of situations and it made me want to hurl them all into the trash. Fortunately, I was within the 2-week window and could change it. But I was required to change my AppleID password, which meant updating that password dozens of times on various bootable computer drives and portable devices.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 29, 2020 07:37AM
Carm,

Once established, 2FA is not great, but not all that bad. Every once in a while it can be a PITA, but most of the time you aren't aware of it.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 29, 2020 08:18AM
Whats the argument against 2FA?

Posted by: rz
Date: September 29, 2020 09:11AM
mattkime
Whats the argument against 2FA?

I think ka jowct nailed that answer: "I was being prompted to enter a code on seemingly random devices for a multitude of situations and it made me want to hurl them all into the trash."

So basically, convenience. I don't have it enabled, although with work, I have to deal with 2FA for a lot of things. For instance, logging into my machine. Takes both a login card (something I have), and a password (something I know). On rare occasions, I have to type the password in again. But unlike Apple, it doesn't happen randomly in a multitude of situations.
Date: September 29, 2020 09:49AM
As mentioned convenience. Having to get my phone to authorize myself into my account. Other oddities that have gotten better. A coworker needed a code to get into her phone after an update, which was weird. It was asking for a code and got sent a code at the same time. And as mentioned, being asked for a code randomly. Stuff like that is why I said “goofy”.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 29, 2020 10:51AM
I had a vague sense that I had it turned on and that every once in a while I'd get a text message with a number code when I tried to do something. But apparently not not to download a new app-I did that this morning on my iPad without a code required. But, I had to look at my iPhone to be sure it's turned on. I guess I don't find it a problem.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 29, 2020 11:32AM
I voted Other because I am on 2FA, but it was not 'great'.

We have a family iCloud account, and each with individual accounts.

2FA messed up the central account.

We sorted it out by using an old iPhone without cell data to be the 2FA for that account.
Posted by: numbered
Date: September 29, 2020 11:54AM
I have an issue with an AppleID for my mother in law. Apple is consistently screwed up on its site. Based on the thread, I just tried the page again--appleid.apple.com--in Safari 14, and the page loaded but not the sign in form.

Over a minute waiting.

I know some of you have no issues, but I seem to have been endlessly dealing with Apple screwing up AppleID dealings, mostly for older people I support. It is one of the few things that actually strikes terror in my heart when someone tells me there have a login issue. (And of course, you can permanently lose access because they will not do a password reset if you cannot be identified with the questions which you may never have set up. This happened to my Dad.)

So, no, I have enough problems without 2FA...

[Edit] I left the Safari page open, and 7 minutes later Apple had still not served the sign in form to the page at appleid.apple.com.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 11:57AM by numbered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020