advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got flu shot
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 29, 2020 07:58AM
First time it has made me sick beyond a sore arm. Last year not even a sore arm. Will face masks help us not to contract the flu also?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got flu shot
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 29, 2020 08:04AM
....you betcha'.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 29, 2020 08:09AM
samintx
... Will face masks help us not to contract the flu also?

I don’t see why not. Same principle as the “other” related virus.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 29, 2020 08:15AM
I have heard from several fairly healthy people that the flu shot kicked their rears for couple days.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 29, 2020 08:17AM
I made sure I got the quadravariant version. No sore arm for me. Maybe I got lucky.

Date: September 29, 2020 08:20AM
....my loser felt sore......

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 29, 2020 09:16AM
mattkime
I made sure I got the quadravariant version. No sore arm for me. Maybe I got lucky.

I got the double strength quad at Walgreens. The injection was painless, no sore arm, no side effects at all.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 29, 2020 09:29AM
We will probably be getting ours next week or week after.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 29, 2020 09:32AM
No side effects for me with the standard version nor my Mom with the high-dose shot.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 29, 2020 09:42AM
I always get the flu shot. I always have a reaction for a few days.
It's far, far better than getting the flu. I got full on influenza the year they 'missed' the main variant. Damn near killed me. I should have gone to the hospital instead of jury-rigging my own ventilator by hacking my CPAP machine to give me more air while I lay on the couch away from my family. I was also looking for my late father in law's O2 regulator so I could use one of the old sealed O2 tanks he left in our house. Didn't find it.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 29, 2020 09:52AM
I hope the adverse effects your experiencing pass quickly.

Engels Supermarket, back in Late August, had a big banner outside announcing that they had the Flu vaccine. There was NO line at the pharmacy so, I had NO wait. Being a senior, I got the multiple strain vaccine (quardavent?). I was also able to get a Tetanus booster (it had been ~ 20 years since my last tetanus shot). The hardest part was removing the bandaids the pharmacist applied (those suckers did NOT want to come off). No other ill effects (I generally tolerate injection / medications well).
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 29, 2020 10:24AM
A friend got sick from it last week. I tend to wait and get it later in the season, but apparently it's the same shot any way.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 29, 2020 10:26AM
mattkime

Me,too but it gave me a reaction for the first time. Even put on a wool blanket to get warm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 10:29AM by samintx.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 29, 2020 10:40AM
We got ours when we were visiting our kid in Birmingham. There's a brand new Publix in Liberty Park and so I figured there would be no line. There wasn't. And they gave us each a $10 gift card for getting the shot!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 29, 2020 10:52AM
I've got flu shosts the last two seasons.

I had a slightly sore arm both times, and the last time I felt a little rundown for a day, may be totally coincidental.

This time I'm thiinking of waiting 'till later, maybe November, so that it lasts later into next year.

I wouldn't want it to fade early as we go into cold and flu season.

My second shingles shot may be overdue, I have to look into that.

I believe there's a 2-6mo window after the first shot, to get the second.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 29, 2020 12:07PM
RAMd®d

My second shingles shot may be overdue, I have to look into that.

I believe there's a 2-6mo window after the first shot, to get the second.

If you happen to have missed the 6 month time frame, here's what CDC says about RZV timing: "Dosing schedule. Following the first dose of RZV, the second dose should be given 2–6 months later (1). The vaccine series need not be restarted if more than 6 months have elapsed since the first dose; however, the efficacy of alternative dosing regimens has not been evaluated, data regarding the safety of alternative regimens are limited (30), and individuals might remain at risk for @#$%& zoster during a longer than recommended interval between doses 1 and 2. If the second dose of RZV is given less than 4 weeks after the first, the second dose should be repeated. Two doses of the vaccine are necessary regardless of prior history of @#$%& zoster or prior receipt of ZVL."

By the way, we apparently don't like the word, "h e r p e s" on the forum!
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 29, 2020 12:17PM

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: September 29, 2020 12:19PM
deckeda
samintx
... Will face masks help us not to contract the flu also?

I don’t see why not. Same principle as the “other” related virus.

There are reports that the flu in the southern hemisphere in the 2020 flu season is way lower than typically found and the reduction has been attributed to the various Covid-19 prevention measures (masks, social distancing, etc.).

[www.webmd.com]
Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 29, 2020 12:27PM
Got the flu shot a couple of weeks ago. Had a sore arm for less than a day. Guess I got lucky...
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 29, 2020 12:36PM
Spiff
Got the flu shot a couple of weeks ago. Had a sore arm for less than a day. Guess I got lucky...
Same except only sore on the day after. I'm pretty sure it depends on where the
needle hits re the degree of discomfort.

Handy website, Vaccine Finder: [vaccinefinder.org]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: jdc
Date: September 29, 2020 12:47PM
going to skip it again this year, just like the last 40 years.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 29, 2020 01:07PM
jdc

My wife had skipped it for the 38 years that I knew her. Then the grandson was born in Jan 2018 and the daughter said, "If you want to see him during flu season..." and my wife got the shot!
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 29, 2020 01:13PM
Michael
jdc

My wife had skipped it for the 38 years that I knew her. Then the grandson was born in Jan 2018 and the daughter said, "If you want to see him during flu season..." and my wife got the shot!

LOL =)

No grandkids yet... so safe.

Wife and daughters get it every year... Ive never had it. Rarely get sick. Like once every 10 years thing.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: September 29, 2020 01:23PM
jdc

I've had ONE flu shot and that was in 1977 - it make me sick as a dog.

There's one recent study I've seen that saw a correlation between those who didn't get annual flu shots and their ability to better withstand COVID. The theory is that all the modern flu shots and antibotics target specific viruses and bacteria and short circuit the body's natural way of dealing with them, which is to try different techniques at combating the invaders. The side effect of the body's natural approach is that it builds up a broad spectrum of antibodies and such that help it fight off new invaders more easily.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 29, 2020 01:38PM
You don't know what a shot is until you've had the Typhoid Fever vaccine.

Just saying...
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 29, 2020 01:59PM
bobinmurphy
jdc

I've had ONE flu shot and that was in 1977 - it make me sick as a dog.

There's one recent study I've seen that saw a correlation between those who didn't get annual flu shots and their ability to better withstand COVID. The theory is that all the modern flu shots and antibotics target specific viruses and bacteria and short circuit the body's natural way of dealing with them, which is to try different techniques at combating the invaders. The side effect of the body's natural approach is that it builds up a broad spectrum of antibodies and such that help it fight off new invaders more easily.

Or not. That idea was pushed by an antivax group.

[www.factcheck.org]
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 29, 2020 02:14PM
Wife and I get the senior flu shot as part of her end of September birthday celebration. We consider it a gift to each other. OK, so that's a stretch to be sure.

I was pretty sick when I was required to take the shot in the Air Force several decades ago and did not take the shot for a long time. More recently, I have been getting the shot with no side effects beyond a few hours of a sore arm.

This year got our Prevnar 13 shots at the same time (the OTHER arm).
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 29, 2020 02:43PM
Got mine a couple of weeks ago, standard quadrivalent, no reaction.

Got my first Shingrix shot today...then texted the kids that I'm now officially old.

Wonder if I should go ahead and get a Tdap as well...maybe a MMR booster...anything else to stimulate my immune system until a COVID vaccine becomes available?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 02:43PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 29, 2020 03:19PM
Soreness from a shot depends on the skill of the person administering the shot, the shot location and the quality of the needle. I used to get my flu shots from a family friend who is a nurse. Her husband, a doctor, would buy a vile or 2 of vaccine and high quality needles to vaccinate everyone at Thanksgiving. The needles made a big difference.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 29, 2020 04:14PM
Soreness from a shot depends on the skill of the person administering the shot, the shot location and the quality of the needle. I

I think there may be a little more to it than that.

Both times I got the shot, I didn't feel the stick, as one nurse distracted my while the other sneaked up on me.

Every time I've given blood, I've barely felt the stick, and no sore arm.

I did not enjoy getting the air-gun shots in the military and would have rather had a needle.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 29, 2020 04:25PM
bobinmurphy

There's one recent study I've seen that saw a correlation between those who didn't get annual flu shots and their ability to better withstand COVID.

Got a link for that? Sounds fishy.
Date: September 29, 2020 04:47PM
Steve G.
bobinmurphy

There's one recent study I've seen that saw a correlation between those who didn't get annual flu shots and their ability to better withstand COVID.

Got a link for that? Sounds fishy.

Probably not the exact study, but in searching I ran across this from The Children's Health Defense Fund saying that getting flu shots increases the likelihood of getting COVID-19: [childrenshealthdefense.org]

But, they seem to be anti-vaccine in general: [childrenshealthdefense.org]

And Factcheck.org said there is no support for the notion: [www.factcheck.org]

Edit: Quite frankly, I was searching because I thought I remembered something that said that people who had gotten flu shots for years were less likely to get Covid-19. Didn't find anything that supported that memory, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 04:49PM by Michael.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 29, 2020 05:01PM
I got the senior shot last Thursday. My arm is still a bit sore today, almost a week later. I also had a bit of a skin reaction around the area but its mostly gone now.

JoeM
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 29, 2020 05:26PM
4 of us in the household got the flu vax on the same day. One felt a bit off the following morning but bounced back by noon, the rest of us just had a bit of a sore arm around the shot for a day or so.
Date: September 29, 2020 05:33PM
....this is a.....sore......subject.......???

Posted by: hal
Date: September 29, 2020 05:36PM
RAMd®d
Soreness from a shot depends on the skill of the person administering the shot, the shot location and the quality of the needle. I

Both times I got the shot, I didn't feel the stick, as one nurse distracted my while the other sneaked up on me.

I did not enjoy getting the air-gun shots in the military and would have rather had a needle.

the last time I whined at the gal administering the shots she said that the other person doing it didn't know what they were doing, "I'm really good at this - you won't feel a thing" and she was right.
Date: September 29, 2020 06:02PM
Yep, it's like going to the dentist...you want the hygienist to do the cleaning, not the dentist!
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: September 29, 2020 06:55PM
I walked into the pharmacy section of the supermarket to pick up a prescription and they were advertising the flu shot for free. There was about a 5 minute wait while they processed the paperwork and made up the syringe. My arm was a little sore for half an hour or so. Strangely, the next day I had some flu-like symptoms for a couple of hours (predictable, but doesn't usually happen to me) so I took a Tylenol and felt better.

This year is the one time in at least a dozen years or so that I had that flu-like reaction -- my temperature went up half a degree or so and I felt sleepy, and that was it. Lot's better than having the real influenza, which happened to me 4 decades ago and put me in bed for close to a week starting with a 103 degree fever. Don't want to do that again.

The anti-vaccination people put out all kinds of lies, and they have been attacking flu shots for years as part of their campaign. David Gorski (who writes his Respectful Insolence blog under the nym of Orac) debunks the claim:

[respectfulinsolence.com]

You can find out all about anti-vaccine nonsense from this blog by using the search function.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 29, 2020 08:35PM
Bill in NC
Yep, it's like going to the dentist...you want the hygienist to do the cleaning, not the dentist!

One of my dentists did do his own cleaning - they had the best touch. Now some of the hygienists they hired later were kacked handed And I hated going after that.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 30, 2020 08:12AM
freeradical

Just saying...

Yeah. My arm was so sore I couldn't drive for several days, and I felt so crummy that I didn't want to go anywhere anyways.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 30, 2020 09:07AM
I'm debating not getting mine this year, because I've been strictly self-isolating since this whole mess began, and going to the doctor's office or a Walgreens might actually be more risky than just not getting the shot. I wish there were a way to self-vaccinate... I'd heard they were working on a device to exactly make this possible.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 30, 2020 10:03AM
PeterB
I'm debating not getting mine this year, because I've been strictly self-isolating since this whole mess began, and going to the doctor's office or a Walgreens might actually be more risky than just not getting the shot.

I went to Target late morning during the week. I didn't come within 6 feet of anyone aside from the person administering the shot. ymmv but I've had more trouble buying groceries and keeping distance.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 30, 2020 12:27PM
RAMd®d

I'm not implying that all three will eliminate soreness. Point is that if all three are good, the impact should be less soreness. When the family friend administered the shots, none of us had significant soreness. Better quality needles make a huge difference.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 30, 2020 04:24PM
Got mine! Woot!!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: October 01, 2020 12:04PM
Lizabeth
Bill in NC

One of my dentists did do his own cleaning - they had the best touch. Now some of the hygienists they hired later were kacked handed And I hated going after that.

The dentists I've had do the cleaning were let's say very thorough...felt it for a couple of days afterwards. smiling smiley
Date: October 01, 2020 12:09PM
Janit
freeradical

Just saying...

Yeah. My arm was so sore I couldn't drive for several days, and I felt so crummy that I didn't want to go anywhere anyways.

Ditto.

Also got my butt kicked by that first Shingrix shot...had it in the morning, no problems (arm barely sore throughout) but woke up in the wee hours with side/flank pain near the kidney on the same side I got the shot, enough that I couldn't get back to sleep.

Waited until the doc's office opened and called them...they said to medicate with ibuprofen and call if it was worse the next day, but it was fine by then.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 12:13PM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020