advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Medicare question
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 30, 2020 09:47AM
I am now responsible for handling my mother's medicare and supplement policies. I know the renewal period is coming up but this is all new to me.

She has Medicare Part A & B, a supplemental PPO through BC/BS of Michigan, and prescription coverage through Express Scripts Medicare.

If we do not want anything to change, do I need to do anything?
Also - does she get new cards every year?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2020 09:58AM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Medicare question
Posted by: STL
Date: September 30, 2020 10:10AM
No
Yes
Posted by: dfilpus
Date: September 30, 2020 10:33AM
She will not get a new Medicare card from the government. If you need one, you have to request it.
BC/BS and ExpressScripts should send new cards in January.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 30, 2020 10:34AM
Also - does she get new cards every year?

My experience; from the insurance, yes. But not from CMS-Medicare.

d@m, dfilpus beat me to it thumbsup smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2020 10:35AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 30, 2020 11:02AM
Have you spoken with you mom's Primary Care Physician? I'd ask for their opinion and make sure that, in view of her soon to be "new status" as a Medicare patient, do THEY recommend any changes?

NOTE: due to HIPPA regulations, your mom MUST be present and agree to allow YOU to receive any information about mom's medical status. You might want to ask the PCP about a Health Care Proxy for your mom.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 30, 2020 11:32AM
If she has a PPO supplement why does she also have drug coverage in a separate policy? Drugs should be covered with the PPO supplement, it is with mine. I have UHC this year and had Aetna last year.

Grateful11
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 30, 2020 12:21PM
Grateful11
If she has a PPO supplement why does she also have drug coverage in a separate policy? Drugs should be covered with the PPO supplement, it is with mine. I have UHC this year and had Aetna last year.

If you were a Medicare member before the Part D came about, like my mom is, you can have two different policies.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 30, 2020 02:24PM
Thanks everyone.

To answer a few questions --

She has been on medicare since 1984, so that likely explains to separate card for drugs. I know she doesn't pay for it.

I already have a health POA on her, so HIPPA isn't an issue. I'm listed with Medicare, her doctors, the hospital, and her insurance.

Her insurance is great and I would never touch it-- no premiums, 100% coverage after a $300 deductible. She can go to whoever she wants with no prior authorization. All I can say is thank you GM/UAW who agreed to it back in the 60's when Dad retired. My brother was on the contract bargaining unit back in the late 90s', and told me then that Dad's coverage was done separately along with all the sitdowners. At that time there were only about 100 still on the plan. That was 20+ years ago, I'm guessing she has to be one of the last, if not the last one using it (she is 100, dad would have been 112 this year). She still collects his pension 54 years after he took it - she has made more from it than he earned in his 35 years as a tool & dieman.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 30, 2020 03:13PM
Wow, that is amazing!

It sounds like she has a group Medicare plan through the UAW that is different than what is available to the general public. Union plans are usually much better and you don't want to mess with them. Just watch the mail closely for anything from the plan that might be a notice of change.

Regular Medicare Advantage plans (or Medicare Health Plans) change every year and you get a new card. However, with her group plan (that probably hasn't ever changed), it is likely they don't send a new card every year.

Posted by: TL
Date: September 30, 2020 07:48PM
She may or may not get a new rx card. Generally they aren’t issued to continuing members unless certain types of change are happening, or a plan makes a special request to recard its membership. I work at Express Scripts, and while I’m not directly involved with the Trust’s Medicare rx plan for 2021, what I have seen doesn’t suggest to me a new card is likely. A new one can always be requested on demand.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 30, 2020 09:15PM
rgG
Grateful11

If you were a Medicare member before the Part D came about, like my mom is, you can have two different policies.

Gotcha. No I'm not quite that old.

Grateful11
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 30, 2020 09:22PM
Ombligo
Thanks everyone.

To answer a few questions --

She has been on medicare since 1984, so that likely explains to separate card for drugs. I know she doesn't pay for it.

I already have a health POA on her, so HIPPA isn't an issue. I'm listed with Medicare, her doctors, the hospital, and her insurance.

Her insurance is great and I would never touch it-- no premiums, 100% coverage after a $300 deductible. She can go to whoever she wants with no prior authorization. All I can say is thank you GM/UAW who agreed to it back in the 60's when Dad retired. My brother was on the contract bargaining unit back in the late 90s', and told me then that Dad's coverage was done separately along with all the sitdowners. At that time there were only about 100 still on the plan. That was 20+ years ago, I'm guessing she has to be one of the last, if not the last one using it (she is 100, dad would have been 112 this year). She still collects his pension 54 years after he took it - she has made more from it than he earned in his 35 years as a tool & dieman.

Good for her! And, yes, a great story reflecting the great thing about unions - they look after their brothers and sisters. The “sitdowners”:

[en.wikipedia.org]

You might want to check her Medicare number. It is no longer her social security number plus a character or two. You can print out her new card (I did this today) at mymedicare.gov. You will need the date when she first got Part A (from her old card) as well as her birth date and her new Medicare number which should be on benefit paperwork from payers.

Medicare and social security are two other great programs that we almost all have. When my father retired as a union electrician of 33 years in 1983 he was making $35k per year as a general foreman which was the top pay tier. Now (age: 92) with his three different pensions from the union and social security he receives $60k per year.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2020 09:37PM by Speedy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020