advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AARP questions
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 30, 2020 07:02PM
I received an application for AARP in the mail this week. Apparently I've qualified. I am wondering what benefits you have found that are the most helpful? Also, I will probably be looking for health insurance in a few years (no longer from an employer) and I"m wondering if AARP is the way to go. Thanks for any thoughts.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AARP questions
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 30, 2020 07:16PM
I found very little to make it worthwhile. Best advice I can offer is look at their discounts and see how many you will actually use (for me the answer was one hotel, one time).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 30, 2020 07:32PM
In my experience, AARP will take ANYBODY who will pay the membership fee, regardless of age. As davemachine said, check to see which of their discounts you would actually use. I get 15% off at Denny's and, when traveling, I usually eat there a couple of times a month. That alone covers the membership fee for me. Earlier this month, I took their online Safe Driver's Course. My carrier, Progressive, will give me a discount on my auto policy but NOT on my RV policy. I don't always agree with AARP's politics but, the discounts I get more than cover the cost of membership. I expect if I were to delve deeper into the AARP website, there would be other deals I could take advantage of. The membership fee drops if you take a multi-year membership. old fogey smiley
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 30, 2020 07:42PM
They have pretty good basic finance, health, and retirement articles in their magazine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2020 07:50PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 30, 2020 08:10PM
Pretty much the only thing I use is their discount with Hertz and it is not always better than what's available from AAA and others. Once in a while it's a smoking deal; I rented a Nissan SUV for a week for $130 in Portland earlier in the summer. None of the other discounts came close.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: September 30, 2020 08:10PM
I have my Medicare through them, United Healthcare. I re-upped AAA before finding out AARP (Allstate) was cheaper.
I don’t always check to see what discounts I am eligible for but I did sign up for a discount gas card through Shell but have not used it.
Posted by: jawg
Date: September 30, 2020 08:32PM
Medicare supplement (Part B supplement) and Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D) have been my main uses of AARP membership. Both are through United Healthcare. I certainly found these to be favorable options for me when comparing available options.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 30, 2020 08:34PM
Some of the discounts are travel-related which might not be very useful to you at the moment.

As far as insurance goes, AARP is not an insurance company, but they partner with and endorse various insurance companies and some of the insurance products are actually AARP-branded (like the Medicare Supplements they have through UnitedHealthcare) even though they are underwritten by an insurance company.

testcase
In my experience, AARP will take ANYBODY who will pay the membership fee, regardless of age.

Well, the age of qualification for AARP is 50 and we're all so darn old here on the forum, that includes most of us. grinning smileyold fogey smiley

(Come to think of it, I don't remember the application asking your age, but I could be wrong.)

Plus, membership includes a spouse and there's definitely no age restriction on that.

Posted by: rz
Date: September 30, 2020 08:47PM
Randalls
I did sign up for a discount gas card through Shell but have not used it.

You don't need AARP for that. I've seen that discount on Groupon. Basically anyone can sign up for it.

It was about a year and a half after I turned 50 before AARP finally got around to sending me their first attempt at getting me to join. I had talked to a few people who had it, and decided it wasn't worth it (at least for me) to join.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 30, 2020 09:11PM
You don't need AARP to get UHC Medicare either. They don't own UHC. I had AARP for a few years but it wasn't worth it.

I went with UHC this year because the plan I chose has hearing aid coverage. I pay an extra $27/month over the standard $144. to get the hearing aid coverage and dental coverage.

AARP’s Captive and Historically Secretive Relationship with UnitedHealth Group Now Out of The Bag
[www.theamericanmedicalmoneymachine.com]

Grateful11
Date: September 30, 2020 09:16PM
Grateful11
You don't need AARP to get UHC Medicare either.

For Medicare Advantage or a prescription drug plan, no. But you do need to be a member of AARP to get their Medicare Supplement. But you don't actually have to renew your membership after the first year to keep the MedSupp.

Posted by: Acer
Date: September 30, 2020 10:31PM
Still waiting for a good welcome gift. They keep offering totebags. I already have a closet full of totebags, and I suspect many of my age 50+ peer group has as well.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 30, 2020 10:33PM
....any discount adult diapers.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 30, 2020 10:35PM
AllGold
Grateful11
You don't need AARP to get UHC Medicare either.

For Medicare Advantage or a prescription drug plan, no. But you do need to be a member of AARP to get their Medicare Supplement. But you don't actually have to renew your membership after the first year to keep the MedSupp.

What's the difference between Advantage and Supplement?

My card says AARP Medicare Advantage UnitedHealthcare. The agent that I've been using all these years calls all of them supplements. I had Aetna PPO last, it didn't require a referral but was harder to get authorization for some tests. Just had an MRI of the cervical part of my spine two weeks ago, getting authorization was pretty easy.

Grateful11
Date: October 01, 2020 12:28AM
With a Medicare Supplement the insurance company supplements original Medicare Parts A and B and fills in the gaps on what Part A and B don't cover. That's why it's also called a "Medigap" plan. Providers bill Medicare. Medicare approves the claim and tells the insurance company what to pay the provider for the portion Medicare doesn't pay.

With a Medicare Advantage plan, also called a Medicare Health Plan, the insurance company contracts with Medicare to take over all coverage. You still have Medicare, but it's not used because the insurance company designs a plan (approved by Medicare), much like an employer group plan, with various co-pays and co-insurance for different services. Providers bill the plan/insurance company directly and Medicare is not involved. Additionally, MA plans usually include Part D prescription drug coverage, and may also add extras like dental and vision coverage, fitness memberships, etc.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 01, 2020 02:33AM
davemchine
I received an application for AARP in the mail this week. Apparently I've qualified. I am wondering what benefits you have found that are the most helpful? Also, I will probably be looking for health insurance in a few years (no longer from an employer) and I"m wondering if AARP is the way to go. Thanks for any thoughts.

None.
Posted by: d4
Date: October 01, 2020 05:58AM
It's like $15 a year. What's the big deal?

My inlaws are members. Discounts and a decently put together monthly magazine. If you can use a discount here and there that pays itself for the whole year.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 01, 2020 06:48AM
Not worth it, especially if you don't care for their advocacy of certain causes.
You can get similar or better discounts from several professional & alum organizations.
Veterans, unions, retired govt. employees, lots of colleges, etc. all get the benefits.
fwiw, I belong to three from being a veteran, one from a govt. professional assoc.,
and a few others related to schools and don't pay for any of them.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Randalls
Date: October 01, 2020 07:49AM
You are also helping to support ‘senior issues’ by lobbying. So in effect it is a union of senior citizens for profit that is supposed to watch out for issues that would be detrimental to old folks, like pre-existing conditions.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: October 01, 2020 07:54AM
MrNoBody
Not worth it, especially if you don't care for their advocacy of certain causes.
You can get similar or better discounts from several professional & alum organizations.
Veterans, unions, retired govt. employees, lots of colleges, etc. all get the benefits.
fwiw, I belong to three from being a veteran, one from a govt. professional assoc.,

Yeah, AARP tends to lean Left (sometimes far Left) on many political issues. If that turns you off or you're more of a Right leaning person you can get pretty much the same benefits from Generation America now known as AMAC.

But all these organizations seem to be heavy on bundling discount offers on things like travel, healthcare, insurance, phone service, etc which might entice older folks that can be pretty easily found elsewhere without their membership. They're more of a PAC than anything else, looking for paying members by offering these discounts, and their membership numbers given them political clout in pushing certain agendas that might not completely align with their members beliefs.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: October 01, 2020 08:04AM
I got a huge discount on my last pair of prescription glasses via AARP (the tech compared all my available discounts and AARP was the winner). Their bi-monthly magazine is terrific. And l'm completely on-board with their efforts to protect Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 01, 2020 09:52AM
My mother lost her health coverage, and we found that the AARP coverage was as good as any available at the time for the value received.

My wife and I (and many of our senior friends) are members only for the reduced hotel rates. We use hotels several times a year. Otherwise my veteran status does more for us.

davemchine

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 01, 2020 09:57AM
bobinmurphy
MrNoBody

Yeah, AARP tends to lean Left (sometimes far Left) on many political issues. If that turns you off or you're more of a Right leaning person you can get pretty much the same benefits from Generation America now known as AMAC.

But all these organizations seem to be heavy on bundling discount offers on things like travel, healthcare, insurance, phone service, etc which might entice older folks that can be pretty easily found elsewhere without their membership. They're more of a PAC than anything else, looking for paying members by offering these discounts, and their membership numbers given them political clout in pushing certain agendas that might not completely align with their members beliefs.

That's really BS and they are not a PAC. The only way anyone could say that they are left-leaning is if you consider, as some do, that advocating for senior issues such as preservation of social security, medicare and medicaid to be left-leaning.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: October 01, 2020 02:44PM
If you want to get it straight from the horse's mouth:
[www.aarp.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020