advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
maybe Apple should bring back names like Performa 637 and LC 520 for their iPads
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 01, 2020 05:01PM
From another thread which I didn't want to hijack:

macphanatic
Cellular iPads include GPS capability builtin. This may be the reason that he's asking for it.

Also, his cell plan may not permit tethering.

iPads that iPadOS 14 is compatible with

iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
iPad Pro 10.5-inch
iPad Pro 9.7-inch
iPad (7th generation)
iPad (6th generation)
iPad (5th generation)
iPad mini (5th generation)
iPad mini 4
iPad Air (3rd generation)
iPad Air 2

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Air 2 and Mini 4 left out of the next OS release based upon age. Could be wrong though.

Clear as mud. WTF, Apple? facepalm

Edit: on the slim chance it isn't totally obvious, I'm being facetious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 05:06PM by AllGold.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: maybe Apple should bring back names like Performa 637 and LC 520 for their iPads
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 01, 2020 05:16PM
Agreed.
At least they don't list a range of serial numbers instead of model/generation/screen dimensions.
Re: maybe Apple should bring back names like Performa 637 and LC 520 for their iPads
Posted by: hal
Date: October 01, 2020 05:42PM
I have no idea which ipad is which.

Steve Jobs would not be amused by this.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 01, 2020 05:56PM
I have no idea which iPad I have.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 01, 2020 11:55PM

It does take a bit of due diligence to know what's what.

Even looking up the model number in General > About doesn't make it particularly obvious.

One gets a model number but telling somebody one has an MTJA2LL/A really doesn't help anybody without access to a database.

I'd like to have a icon in the iPad's menu bar, say an Apple, that you can click on and select About This iPad and see a window showing iPad Pro (12.9") (3rd Generation) (WiFi + Cellular) with tabs for other related info just like the macOS About This Mac window.

It may not help to now the difference between a pile of iPad choice for everyone, but at least one would be fairly clear on what they own.

It would also make finding information about any give model a lot easier than using said model number.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 02, 2020 08:58AM
RAMd®d

It does take a bit of due diligence to know what's what.

Even looking up the model number in General > About doesn't make it particularly obvious.

One gets a model number but telling somebody one has an MTJA2LL/A really doesn't help anybody without access to a database.

I'd like to have a icon in the iPad's menu bar, say an Apple, that you can click on and select About This iPad and see a window showing iPad Pro (12.9") (3rd Generation) (WiFi + Cellular) with tabs for other related info just like the macOS About This Mac window.

It may not help to now the difference between a pile of iPad choice for everyone, but at least one would be fairly clear on what they own.

It would also make finding information about any give model a lot easier than using said model number.

Tell me about it. Then you have accessories like the Apple pencil which have a 1 and a 2 version. You would THINK the 1 version would be for older iPads and everything new would use the 2. But nope, the 2 only works on the newest Pro and even a brand new normal iPad uses the old 1 pencil from 3 years ago.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020